Folding recumbent-Whats available?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
djsb

Folding recumbent-Whats available?

Post by djsb »

I've been interested in HP Velotechnics Grasshopper FX folding recumbent for a while. I'm just wondering if there are any other folding recumbents available? I've seen a couple of youtube video's of an ICE B1 and B2 but they don't seem to be available any more (at least they are not mentioned on their website). I can try out a Grasshopper at Kinetics in Glasgow. Does anyone know of any other folders out there? Have to choose a folder as I have limited room in my 1 bed flat. Thanks.
OldBloke

Re: Folding recumbent-Whats available?

Post by OldBloke »

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The ICE B series are discontinued, but the rest of the range folds (possibly still not enough for a 1 bed flat though!)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Based on my experiences with 406 wheels, I'd want to try out any so equipped unsuspended bent on typical road surfaces before handing over the cash ;)
Also think of the weight...
"42"
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

As well as storage in a one-person flat, there may be the issue of manhandling it there. I wouldn't have a 'bent if I still lived in a flat up some stairs, folding or otherwise.

For storage, also consider a hanging hook...

That's my wife's 'bent (a Nazca Fiero Tour) hung up on a train to Oban next to a mountain bike, and as you can see it makes a substantial reduction to the footprint, quite possibly better than a folded 'bent on the floor. It may not be practical to have such a hook, but if it is it may be a solution worth looking at.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have a pair of HP Velotechnik Gekko recumbents.

They are not small or light (cf Brompton etc) but perfectly manageable.

The folded chassis moves on "skate wheels"

I have used this in cars, hotels, trains and on one occasion a bus!
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

pjclinch wrote:For storage, also consider a hanging hook...

That's my wife's 'bent (a Nazca Fiero Tour) hung up on a train to Oban next to a mountain bike

Apologies for sidetracking the thread, but I've been travelling on this type of Scotrail train recently, and they have signs saying, "Hang up the cycle by the REAR wheel." Does anybody know why the rear wheel specifically? Maybe I haven't done this often enough to get slick at it, but it seems to me that you need to either load your bike back-end first, or manoeuvre it around in a very confined space. Front wheel would be easier.

Mary
I used to be known as "maryinoxford," but I've moved...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd have thought it much eaiser to use the front wheel, you can then "rear" your bike and roll it into position...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

maryinoxford wrote:
pjclinch wrote:For storage, also consider a hanging hook...

That's my wife's 'bent (a Nazca Fiero Tour) hung up on a train to Oban next to a mountain bike

Apologies for sidetracking the thread, but I've been travelling on this type of Scotrail train recently, and they have signs saying, "Hang up the cycle by the REAR wheel." Does anybody know why the rear wheel specifically? Maybe I haven't done this often enough to get slick at it, but it seems to me that you need to either load your bike back-end first, or manoeuvre it around in a very confined space. Front wheel would be easier.

Mary

I believe it was because the pointy bits of the handlebars were at eye / head level for people passing in the corridor and hence a "hazard"
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

Cunobelin wrote:I believe it was because the pointy bits of the handlebars were at eye / head level for people passing in the corridor and hence a "hazard"

Thanks, Cunobelin. It's useful to know the "reason," even if I don't necessarily agree with it. I wonder if I'm more of a hazard trying to manoeuvre my bike into the required position?

The other thing I'm wondering is, I've just bought a 25kg electric bike. There was a time when BR didn't allow transport of electric bikes by train, but now they do. So is it likely to be damaging to the wheel (either one!) to hang that weight from a hook?

I've made one train journey with the bike so far, bringing it home from the shop where I bought it. (Kinetics, as mentioned by the OP - to create an illusion that I'm not taking the thread completely off-topic :) ) I'd hoped to be able to leave it standing on its wheels as it was only sharing the bike space with one pram. But when a second pram was brought on board, I hung the bike up - by the front wheel, as there was no possibility of turning it in the remaining space. It seems to have survived okay, but it does appear to be putting a strain on the wheel that it wasn't designed for.

Mary
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It won't damage the wheel, 25kg is nothing.

It might damage your back..
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

maryinoxford wrote:The other thing I'm wondering is, I've just bought a 25kg electric bike. There was a time when BR didn't allow transport of electric bikes by train, but now they do. So is it likely to be damaging to the wheel (either one!) to hang that weight from a hook?

First, "British Rail" is an echo from your memory. These days we have plenty of "Train Operating Companies", and each one will have their own T&Cs, so don't assume that because Scotrail (now run by the firm that looks after Dutch railways) lets you take it anyone will. I suspect they will, but you may want to look at the fine print before basing a major expedition on the assumption.

Second, 25 Kg should be fine to hang. A bike wheel is specced to carry much more load than that (that Fiero can't be very shy of 20 Kg). Look at the super-light confections used by 80+ Kg sprinters... Main potential failure would be the hook anchor if not sensibly seated.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

[XAP]Bob and pjclinch, thanks for the reassurance re the wheels.

Yes, I shouldn't have said BR. There is a "National Rail" website, with a cycling section which mentions some exclusions such as tricycles or trailers, but says nothing about electrics. ScotRail was, I believe, the first regional company to permit carriage of e-bikes; I've looked on the website of Abellio, who have taken over the franchise, and they don't say anything about a change of policy. AtoB have a web page which lists all the rail companies with what they say about bikes.

Physically, yes, a bike that heavy is an awkward thing to hang up, and I'm not planning on regular rail travel, I just like to know it's possible. After a few experiments, I think the rear-wheel hang might work best for me. My bike has no crossbar, but if I get my shoulder under the saddle I can use my legs to power the main lift, then with hands on the seat stays I can steer the back wheel into position.

Thanks again,
Mary
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd still go for a front wheel hang - if some TOC worker wants to quibble then let them hang it the hard way, and take it down again....