Folding recumbent-Whats available?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Geoff.D

Re: Folding recumbent-Whats available?

Postby Geoff.D » 20 Jul 2015, 5:33pm

maryinoxford wrote:
......... but if I get my shoulder under the saddle I can use my legs to power the main lift, then with hands on the seat stays I can steer the back wheel into position.

Thanks again,
Mary

Sounds like an Olympic weightlifting manoeuvre, Mary. Do you have a bag of chalk for your hands? :)

Barogerl2

Postby Barogerl2 » 28 Oct 2015, 8:34pm

A foldingrecumbent, Why not use a Flevobike, they fold in the moddle and make a remarkably small package

foreversummer

Postby foreversummer » 29 Oct 2015, 8:38pm

Cruz Bike Quest front wheel drive recumbent folds. My husband has one, he is still trying to master the riding technique

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 7 Jan 2016, 4:18pm

(A late joiner to this thread...) Am currently very excited by the Radnabel Atl folder here http://www.radnabel.com/atl-modelle/falter/
This looks to me like a good quality product. This model won first prize for folding recumbents back in 2002, in a competition in Germany where they're very keen on such things. Only trouble is as far as I can tell Radnabel is a one-man-band and bikes are hand-made.
Lots of Moulton-inspired build elements. It uses 406 wheels and suspension.
I've been advised, too, that technically, it's not a recumbent, but a feet forward or semi-recumbent. ;-)
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Thermostat9

Postby Thermostat9 » 7 Jan 2016, 5:39pm

simonineaston wrote:I've been advised, too, that technically, it's not a recumbent, but a feet forward or semi-recumbent. ;-)

How does that work? If you are not head first you are feet forward.

But what is 'semi-recumbent'? Does it need a seat back? It's a recumbent.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 7 Jan 2016, 10:23pm

There is a middle ground, more usually called crank forward, they tend to still have a saddle of sorts, albeit large, and often a seat back, but the cranks are substantially lower than the seat, and the seat is substantially upright.

Its more sitting up than sitting back I suppose??
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 8 Jan 2016, 9:45am

Recumbent.jpg
A quick google tells me this...
ttfn, Simon in Easton

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Jan 2016, 9:54am

I'd hardly call prone a synonym, it's a related word but the meaning is out by 180 degrees...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 8 Jan 2016, 10:17am

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd hardly call prone a synonym, it's a related word but the meaning is out by 180 degrees...
If I find google's email address, I'll let you know - you can take it up with them! ;-)
ttfn, Simon in Easton

Thermostat9

Postby Thermostat9 » 8 Jan 2016, 10:51am

[XAP]Bob wrote:There is a middle ground, more usually called crank forward, they tend to still have a saddle of sorts, albeit large, and often a seat back, but the cranks are substantially lower than the seat, and the seat is substantially upright.

I speak from a long time in the rarefied world of FF motorcycles..... Where the modern proponents decided some time ago that a single track vehicle with a low seat (< 24") and a supportive seat back would fit the definition (and custom bikes wouldn't!) From there it appears to me that people are looking for definitions of bicycles that are not entirely necessary - It's lower than a safety bicycle (and far lower than an Ordinary!) and you need a seat back? It's a recumbent of sorts - no matter where your cranks are. :wink:

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Jan 2016, 10:55am

Thermostat9 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:There is a middle ground, more usually called crank forward, they tend to still have a saddle of sorts, albeit large, and often a seat back, but the cranks are substantially lower than the seat, and the seat is substantially upright.

I speak from a long time in the rarefied world of FF motorcycles..... Where the modern proponents decided some time ago that a single track vehicle with a low seat (< 24") and a supportive seat back would fit the definition (and custom bikes wouldn't!) From there it appears to me that people are looking for definitions of bicycles that are not entirely necessary - It's lower than a safety bicycle (and far lower than an Ordinary!) and you need a seat back? It's a recumbent of sorts - no matter where your cranks are. :wink:

I'm not convinced that I could spot any exact changeover points (except the step change as you get to "Non-UCI"), but I think that there is a progression which is worthy of an intermediate label...

cf+ the term hybrid between road and MTB...

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 8 Jan 2016, 11:37am

Thermostat9 wrote:I speak from a long time in the rarefied world of FF motorcycles...
I live round the corner from the venerable Royce Creasey, although I haven't see his yellow creation for ages - he must be getting on a bit now-a-days.
RCOHFFM.jpg
Mr Creasey on his yellow creation.
I remember reading about Quasars in Bike magazine, too and thinking Wow...
ttfn, Simon in Easton

Geoff.D

Postby Geoff.D » 8 Jan 2016, 12:27pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'm not convinced that I could spot any exact changeover points (except the step change as you get to "Non-UCI"), but I think that there is a progression which is worthy of an intermediate label...

I think there's a progression, too. My view is that, when set up correctly for leg length from saddle to pedal, an upright is too tall to get both feet flat on the ground when stationery. This is fine for most, but not necessarily for commuters or people who would need more stability when stopping.

There's a "foot forward" configuration where the bottom bracket is moved a few inches forward of the seat tube (eg the Electra Townie......... http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie ). In this arrangement, for the same saddle to pedal length, the saddle is nearer to the ground, allowing two flat feet when stopped. I've had a go on one in America and it's true.

Then there's a configuration with the B/B more forward again (eg the Rans.....http://www.ransbikes.com/bicycles/bicyc ... rward.html). This is still referred to as foot forward (or crank forward) and with the seat even lower. But still the saddle looks more or less conventional, even if a bit bucket shaped.

Then there are swb and lwb recumbents (eg Bachettas....... http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumbent-bikes/) with feet so far forward that some sort of back support is needed.

The change from f/f to semi recumbent lies between the configurations of the Rans and the lwb Bachetta. My own feeling isnt that the definitiion lies directly with the forward distance of the B/B but with what happens when you stop. If you stop and you're still essentially sat on a saddle, with your feet down but without the need for a backrest, then your on an upright, crank forward or F/F bike. If you're stopped, feet down but are still being supported by a back rest, then you're on a semi-recumbent (or if feet are level with hips or above) a recumbent.

Swizz69

Postby Swizz69 » 9 Jan 2016, 12:42am

simonineaston wrote:
Thermostat9 wrote:I speak from a long time in the rarefied world of FF motorcycles...
I live round the corner from the venerable Royce Creasey, although I haven't see his yellow creation for ages - he must be getting on a bit now-a-days.
RCOHFFM.jpg
I remember reading about Quasars in Bike magazine, too and thinking Wow...

I love people like Royce Creasey - a total nonSheep. Like Geoff Apps (polar opposite to recumbents!) they go back to first-principles.

Thermostat9

Postby Thermostat9 » 9 Jan 2016, 9:42am

simonineaston wrote:I live round the corner from the venerable Royce Creasey, although I haven't see his yellow creation for ages - he must be getting on a bit now-a-days.

He's 71 now.

This was at his 70th birthday, a few of us got together! (Mine is the white one)

His Yellow Voyager has been off the road for a year or so while he was working on a radical chassis for an electric race bike. But you should see it bopping about in a month or so.

simonineaston wrote:I remember reading about Quasars in Bike magazine, too and thinking Wow...

I remember sitting watching the Quasar on 'Bike Matters' on Channel 4 on a Saturday morning and thinking I had to get one of them. :mrgreen: Never did (there is a problem with a motorcycle with limited headroom!) but I had a Malcolm Newell built Phasar before I bought the Voyager.
Last edited by Thermostat9 on 9 Jan 2016, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.