* SOLD * Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 in Mavic 26” disc wheel - can post

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
UpWrong

* SOLD * Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 in Mavic 26” disc wheel - can post

Post by UpWrong »

A barely used CS-RK3 dual-drive type hub with 3 internal gears and a standard 9 speed freehub (shimano type). Mavic XC717 disc 26" (559) rim, 36 spokes Sapim Race butted, Velox rim tape. All the fittings, non-turn washers etc, including a chainstay stop if needed. You just need cables and a standard Shimano type MTB FD shifter to operate the IGH.

Photos, https://photos.app.goo.gl/DC4WaaGnKRXT9mzX8

I had this briefly on a recumbent. I was very impressed by its operation but decided to revert to derailleurs.

£120 with bolted Tektro disk rotor, £110 without. Delivery is £10 extra (insured MyHermes) or you can collect or rendezvous at no charge within 30 miles of Portsmouth e.g. Guildford, Winchester.
Last edited by UpWrong on 19 Sep 2021, 5:20am, edited 3 times in total.
Stradageek

Re: Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 in Mavic 26” disc wheel

Post by Stradageek »

I’m almost tempted to buy this to use on my Speedmachine. I have a 3x7 SRAM system on my BikeE which I love. However, I assume the reason for selling is because the drag in 1 and 3 is more noticeable on a performance bike? On the more sluggish BikeE I don’t notice it. On my Kett the drag when the Shlumpf is in overdrive is certainly noticeable when trying to keep up with my mates faired ICE on a fast flat road.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Stradageek wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 6:58pm I’m almost tempted to buy this to use on my Speedmachine. I have a 3x7 SRAM system on my BikeE which I love. However, I assume the reason for selling is because the drag in 1 and 3 is more noticeable on a performance bike? On the more sluggish BikeE I don’t notice it. On my Kett the drag when the Shlumpf is in overdrive is certainly noticeable when trying to keep up with my mates faired ICE on a fast flat road.
Hi. The reason for selling is nothing to do with drag. I couldn't detect any drag. There might have been a smidgen in gear 1, hard to tell. And I usually notice these things. I certainly felt drag in a Brompton SA 3-Speed I had. The reason I reverted to derailleurs is because I'm a notorious weight weenie :lol: . Also it was a little tricky to get the axle into and out my dropouts. You have to oriented the axle to get it in because it has flats. It wasn't a big deal really, but that and having to disconnect and reconnect the IGH gear chain at the axle complicates repairing a puncture a little, so maybe running lightweight tyres is not the best combination.

The joy of it is how quick it is to change gear compared to an FD. And being able to change when stationary of course.

(EDIT: also selling because I'm not a fan of disc brakes and the wheel has a disc rim, so can't be used with rim brakes.)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I have found a box big enough, so can post for another tenner. Have updated the details above.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Stradageek wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 6:58pm I’m almost tempted to buy this to use on my Speedmachine. I have a 3x7 SRAM system on my BikeE which I love. However, I assume the reason for selling is because the drag in 1 and 3 is more noticeable on a performance bike? On the more sluggish BikeE I don’t notice it. On my Kett the drag when the Shlumpf is in overdrive is certainly noticeable when trying to keep up with my mates faired ICE on a fast flat road.
The thing I found was that gear 2 was default, and gear 3 was only used when really motoring, and gear 1 when really crawling - neither of which really noticed the couple of percent efficiency loss. The ratios are ~ a standard front triple, so you can change down a chainring at a standstill, which is useful. When I had mine on the ICE I effectively had a 5*9 setup, with multiple ways to access the middle chainrings, and that was something I really appreciated.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Re: * SOLD * Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 in Mavic 26” disc wheel - can post

Post by UpWrong »

Now Sold. :)