Sold - Whyte PRST 4 Frameset - 17.5" (Medium)

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
paulgee

Sold - Whyte PRST 4 Frameset - 17.5" (Medium)

Postby paulgee » 7 Aug 2019, 7:19pm

For Sale is a Whyte PRST 4 Frameset - £450 ono.

I would prefer collection from near Cambridge so that you can see exactly what you are buying.

In well used fully working condition with the Big Gripper axles. The original Whyte branded seatpost and stem. Original DVD manual and shock manual. Two spare big gripper bobbins and a spare spherical bearing. I also have the cable end-stops for the rear derailleur which I removed from the cable clamps when I ran outer all the way from lever to the mech.

It is well used as you can see from the photographs. There are no dents and it has always been kept in the garage when not in use. None of the pivots or bearings have any play in them that I can detect. I have tried to use photographs that make the marks etc look worse than in real life - so that there are no surprises. The main areas of wear are at the top of the fork which was from the Swinley Forest permit band (oddly enough). The inside of the rear swingarm where the mudguard has scored into the metal before I realised and protected it with Gorilla Tape. Also the right side swingarm is quite scratched I can only presume from leaning it against the bike rack at work.

Just to be upfront for the scoring on the inside of the rear swingarm so there would be no surprises. It is difficult to measure the depth accurately as I cannot get the vernier in there. However I pared down a cocktail stick to 0.6mm and put it in the groove and with a straight edge over the top there is a small amount of wobble. So looks like worst case 0.5mm. I mean I am, and never was, concerned about it strucrurally since being aluminum alloy it will be considerably thicker than that in that location. Just a shame I didn't notice it before it happened all those years ago. The commute was through sandy forest and I guess that's what they make sandpaper from :)

Both shocks have the upgraded bushing kit (using bearings which are probably overkill but will last forever and I think were meant to minimise any possible stiction in the pivot).

I have owned the bike from new (March 2004) and used it every day for four years to commute through Swinley Forest to work. However, we moved to Cambridge in 2008 and since then it has only been used a handful of times a year, which is the reason I have decided to sell it.

One of the main reasons I bought it was to minimize the maintenance of the front suspension and the fact that I could bodge the front to fit a mudguard as well (which meant almost zero mud getting on the shocks).

Although this review is for the PRST 1 the ‘Verdict’ section pretty much sums up my experience of the bike and why I bought it in the first place. In fact reading it again

https://bikemagic.com/bikes/mtb-bikes/preston-the-definitive-test.html