Toggle chain for Sachs Three Speed

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
Invicta Tourist

Toggle chain for Sachs Three Speed

Postby Invicta Tourist » 3 Feb 2019, 2:05pm

The toggle chain on my commuter bike broke recently and I ordered a replacement, only to find the part connecting to the hub fits OK, but not the part which joins to the connector near the seat stay. The diameter of the screw thread of the connector is 3mm. Hopefully I'm using the right terms- it's the part underneath the green line in the photo.

If anyone has a toggle chain of the right size, please contact me. The hub is a three speed Sachs Torpedo with a back pedal brake. Possibly 1970's?
20190203_134033.jpg
20190203_135549.jpg

walkman-man

Re: Toggle chain for Sachs Three Speed

Postby walkman-man » 10 Feb 2019, 4:51pm

I think your toggle chain would share the same basic design as the common Sturmey Archer one. It also has the 3mm width threaded rod showing in your second pic. I have an unbranded one of these, here's a pic:

Invicta Tourist

Postby Invicta Tourist » 11 Feb 2019, 11:30am

Walkman-man, thanks for the advice about Sturmey Archer. The toggle chain in the photo looks similar to the broken Sachs one. I'll do a spot of research online and see if I can find whether it'll be a suitable match for the Sachs.

Ugly

Postby Ugly » 11 Feb 2019, 3:55pm

the toggle chain on my Sturmey AM hub was broken when I bought the bike, a 1954 Sun Mist, it had been rejoined with a small split pin. It still has the same repair.

Invicta Tourist

Postby Invicta Tourist » 12 Feb 2019, 5:28pm

Ugly, using a split pin to join the two broken halves is a useful suggestion. Thank you for sharing the successful repair. The problem with this one is that the toggle chain has broken at the point where it disappears into the narrow hollow section of the axle nut. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little space at this point for a repair and the chain.

This is a bit of a long explanation, sorry. At present, there are two separate toggle chains which are joined by a piece of paper clip which is probably not a good long term solution but usefully it does fit between the very small sections of toggle chain. In the second photo, you can see the repair there. I'd bought a new Sachs toggle chain through the internet, and found that although the new part of the toggle chain could be connected to the old, with the paper clip, it left a lot of slack in the control cable. The problem was that the new toggle chain will not fit in the old connector (to the right of the paper clip). I put in two new links to the chain connecting the front chain wheel to rear sprocket, so I could position the rear hub further back in the chain stay dropouts to take out some of the slack from the cable, the adjusters being at their limit. This now has resulted in a bike which works! But, not being a sturdy repair, I only use second gear.