Shimano WH R550 front hub cone.

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
Andy Short

Shimano WH R550 front hub cone.

Post by Andy Short »

Can anyone help, I need two cones for a Shimano WH R550 front hub, but could get by with one.
The cone is 20mm long, with dust shield pressed on and a rubber seal ring in a groove (but I can transfer these from my old cone).
Photo attached. The wheel is in my Gillott and, although a lot younger than the frame, I want to keep it as it is rather than update it.
Thanks for looking.
Andy
Attachments
P1010648.JPG
colin54

Re: Shimano WH R550 front hub cone.

Post by colin54 »

Hi Andy, SJS sell the complete axle with the cones and bearings for WH-R501, but say it is compatible for WH-R500 in their description, look any good ?
£14.99
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/ ... y4sk98010/
I worked from the complete axle assembly shown in this Shimano Tech-Doc
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... U-2650.pdf
I couldn't find the cones anywhere from the part number shown there (item 4, lock-nut unit).
Does this look like your hub ?
Scratch the above for a minute yours is R550, not R500, I'll be back after a further trawl !
Good luck
Nu-Fogey.
Andy Short

Post by Andy Short »

Thanks. I will look in to it.
Need to look at the rear bearings first so I don't duplicate postage costs.
Andy.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Hi again Andy, I had a look at the hub I mentioned to above (WH-R501),
unfortunately it looks like it has a different pattern of hub axle assembly to your one. Apologies for getting your hopes up, I'll keep looking. Hopefully someone may come up with a spare. It's the length and type of seal in the locknut unit (the cone and seal) which differs to yours .
Good luck.
Nu-Fogey.
Andy Short

Post by Andy Short »

Ok. Thanks.
It looks as if there is another cone that has the groove and same diameter but shorter. I might be able to use one with washers to make up the length, but not right, really.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I had a good look around but they don't seem to be available anywhere, and I've seen it written that they have stopped making them as a spare ? The best I could find was a second hand hub on ebay which you've likely already seen, the trouble is it's quite likely to have the same pitted cones as you presumably have on your wheel; set-up too tight from new is the usual scenario. What a daft situation, these were fitted as original equipment on quite a few bikes as I understand it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224395427276 ... Swi-xgV~8I
It might also be worth asking on here if anyone has a complete wheel, they are quite often swapped for lighter wheels .
Nu-Fogey.
Andy Short

Post by Andy Short »

I bought the e-bay hub, but expected the cones to be little better than my worn one (they were).

I have found that Wheels Manufacturing part CN-R096 is pretty much the same but shorter (you have to transfer the steel and rubber seal rings).

I used the two lock-nuts off the scrap hub as spacers, as these are the correct diameter for the plastic external shroud ring.

I will grind back the pitted cone with a dremel/grindstone and the cone in a lathe, hopefully there will be enough hardening depth for it to last....

Thanks, all.

Andy.
drossall

Post by drossall »

No promises (no connection to them for a start) but it might be worth trying Baker's Bikes in Bishop's Stortford.
Andy Short

Post by Andy Short »

Thanks. Will do.
I think I bought some cones for my Sun Wasp tandem from them.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Andy, if any use for you I have very smooth 36sp. fr.hub EXAGE HBRM50 actually now in serviceable SHP600 RIGIDA rim.

I could remove spindle and knock out cups to post on if they might fit your fr. hub. or just cones in post?

Wheel from former clubmate, rip.

Good luck with "dressing" worn cones.

I'm not mechanical-former colliery electrician-but thought case hardenning only a few thou deep----believed it only needs to be thickness of coat of paint to provide hard surface for balls to run on.
Andy Short

Post by Andy Short »

Thanks, but probably best to leave your wheel intact. The 550 cones are very long and weird.
I have some shorter cones that fit.
The reground cones are only spares. The base metal seems to be medium carbon steel so should have hardened a bit deeper. I reckon I ground off 0.2mm at most.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Andy, wheel was sitting gathering dust in the shed; so not having found good home, even for "bits of", wheel will now go in skip!
Typically, someone will need it in couple weeks!!

Good to see bit of "fettling".

60 years ago the turner/fitter at Silksworth colliery fitted bush's to repair worn pins on cage of my CAMPAG GRAN SPORT rear mech for a packet of fags!!.
Andy Short

Post by Andy Short »

I used brass bar in a vice and drilled the bore. Got one right eventually !!