Front rod brake parts for SA hub brake

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
steve browne

Front rod brake parts for SA hub brake

Postby steve browne » 18 Jul 2019, 9:36pm

1939 Raleigh roadster -unfortunately the front rim has been kerbed at some stage and is not suitable for the rod operated stirrup brake. I have a BF hub brake but not the clip assembly (for D shaped fork blade), stirrup, brake tube assembly and rod assembly. It doesn't matter if the parts are rusty - just as long as they work!

Brucey

Re: Front rod brake parts for SA hub brake

Postby Brucey » 19 Jul 2019, 10:13am

some dutch bikes have used a rod-actuated drum brake setup in recent years; you may be able to modify or adapt those parts if you can find them. However do note that the pull of a rod brake is usually about half as long as that of a cable brake. This mismatch is usually catered for by having a 2:1 lever mounted at the fork crown, including a braze-on fulcrum. This also makes the rods lie in the right places, i.e. the main rod lies in the centre plane of the bike (like a stirrup brake would) and the rod to the brake itself lies parallel to the fork blade.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugly

Postby Ugly » 19 Jul 2019, 11:50am

Replacing the front rim may well be an easier option, 32 spoke westwood rims are obtainable.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 19 Jul 2019, 2:30pm

BTW the D shaped clip comes in various sizes and isn't D shaped until it has been fitted. You can still buy the correct part new, provided the tang on the brake arm is the same size as present brakes. Since rod actuation of SA drum brakes appears to have been a bike manufacturer thing not a sturmey archer thing I suspect that there is no standard kit of parts from SA to do this.

cheers

steve browne

Postby steve browne » 19 Jul 2019, 4:43pm

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 16.33.24.png

These are the Sturmey Archer bits and bobs with parts numbers.

Replacing the rim would be simpler but I have only come across 36 hole and 40 hole 28 x 1 1/2" rims on my internet trawl. Any suggestions?

Ugly

Postby Ugly » 19 Jul 2019, 11:45pm

Bankrupt bike parts list 32 spoke rims as out of stock may be worth a call see if they are getting some more.

Another option would be a complete 36 spoke wheel, only a true rivet counter would know. One supplier is www.Cycles Of Yesteryear.com

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 20 Jul 2019, 6:49am