Withdrawn: horizontal dropout steel bike/frame with good tyre clearance

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
alexnharvey

Withdrawn: horizontal dropout steel bike/frame with good tyre clearance

Postby alexnharvey » 9 Aug 2019, 1:04pm

I'm no longer looking for this frame, as I will instead convert an existing frame I own, thanks.

Hi, I am looking for a steel frame with horizontal dropouts, or sliding/rocking types on a modern frame, and also having good tyre clearance with mudguards fitted, ideally being able to take a 622x38-40 slicks or lightly treaded tyres comfortably. I am interested in modern or vintage frames and it will be lightly loaded for commuting, so touring, audax or even cyclo-cross might all suit. Prefer cantilever/v brake fitting. I'd consider a complete bike or a frame. Normally ride a disc bike with a 52 to 54cm seat tube and a top tube of about 540 to 550mm
Thanks.
Last edited by alexnharvey on 11 Aug 2019, 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaz

Re: Medium, horizontal dropout steel bike/frame with good tyre clearance

Postby gaz » 9 Aug 2019, 4:23pm

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=131372

No connection to the seller, nor knowledge of the specific bike for sale. However I do ride one that is the same model and probably the same year.

I run 622/37 at the rear with daylight between the tyre and guards and still room to lift them a few mm higher.

Horizontal dropouts are short length, not ideal if you are thinking fixie/single speed. 130mm spacing at rear.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 9 Aug 2019, 7:11pm

I am thinking fixed or single speed add the commute is very flat, climb about 113' over seven miles! Currently using a genesis day one but find it heavy and not much advantage to the disc brakes.

How good were these frames in their day, are they butted?

gaz

Postby gaz » 10 Aug 2019, 9:16am

Mine's a '98 model. Sticker said "Special Select Cr-Mo Main Tubes", 26.0 seat post. Acera-X mechs. The '97 model was stickered as
Reynolds Cr-Mo.

I'd be inclined to describe it as robust rather than lightweight. Converted to drops it suits me for my commute.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

bagpussctc

Postby bagpussctc » 10 Aug 2019, 4:26pm

I have this for sale in small adds. Missed the link to it :oops:
For Sale.
Claud Butler Legend Hybrid. British built frame set {Brigg I think} Maybe one of the last before production moved overseas.
Frame size measures 20 cm centre to top. However, with the long seat post raised it fits my 32 inside leg comfortably.
Shimano 21 speed gears. Twist grip controls.
Shimano Canti lever brakes.
Zoom adjustable handle bar stem.
Post Moderne seat post.
Shimano qr hubs front,rear.
Shimano 7 speed cassette
Pedals are clips and straps or shimano spd cleats {fittings included}.
Rear rack, and front low riders.
Front tyre is new.
Pump, Sigg bottle. Lights,front & rear, all included.
The bike is in lovely condition .
£158. I am located in Derby . Shipping to be arranged by buyer.I will meet/ deliver within 30 miles.
I bought this 2 years ago when I had sciatica but never used it .My back got better with stretching etc.

I am dropping a mate off at Heathrow this coming Monday.

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 11 Aug 2019, 10:44am

Thank you both. I would be thinking of a conversion to drop bars and singlespeed and it seems a shame to totally deconstruct a perfectly good bike to do it. Most of my projects have been resurrections of bare frames or delapidated bikes on which the existing parts were worn out anyway.