Two 175mm left hand crank arms

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
dsmithave

Two 175mm left hand crank arms

Postby dsmithave » 12 Sep 2019, 6:29pm

Hi

I'm after two crank arms. The reason is I have a right hand triple crank on the front of a tandem which is irritating as the empty spider catches. I'd like to replace it with a lh crank ( once I've rethreaded it). Then I can pair the triple with a second arm for another project
I know cranks available new, its not just that I'm tight, I'd prefer to reuse.

Thanks

rjb

Re: Two 175mm left hand crank arms

Postby rjb » 12 Sep 2019, 6:42pm

I had a similar issue. I removed the spider using my lathe. Left a very neat finish. Without a lathe you could try using a drill with one of those holecutting blades fitted, or even a hacksaw and file. :wink:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

dsmithave

Postby dsmithave » 13 Sep 2019, 12:18am

Thanks for that. It's a reasonable fall back to chop off the spider, then a Spa triple for the other project would be not much more than two new crank arms. I'd be a bit more basic with hacksaw and grinder, though. If there are some sh arms out there at reasonable prices it somehow seems like the thriftier option, though.

rjb

Postby rjb » 13 Sep 2019, 10:55am

I would have thought rethreading a left crank so you could use it on the right is fraught with difficulties and expense. It would at least involve drilling out the existing thread cutting an oversize thread then using a helicoil insert to correct it to match the pedal thread. :shock:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

dsmithave

Postby dsmithave » 13 Sep 2019, 3:45pm

Thanks for that, it would be good advice from a standing start. I indulged in a pair of repair reamers & a handful of bushes for this sort of job following a problem on a tandem a while ago. They came from Ceeway's "economy tools" section but have held up well and are sat in the drawer, so the job holds no cost beyond some cutting lubricant nor particular complications. The downside risks seem low; If I foul it up (and that's quite possible, of course) it's just the loss of a crank arm.

coreydc

Postby coreydc » 13 Oct 2019, 2:09pm

Are you still looking for a LH crank? I have advertised in the sales section chainsets and a LH Campag crank 175mm.
If you have a square BB axle you have to be careful as campag and shimano tapers are different. If you read the advert and want the LH craqnk let me know I will hold it back for you.