Wanted (very) small Audax bike

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
yorkshirethorn

Wanted (very) small Audax bike

Postby yorkshirethorn » 9 Jun 2020, 12:30pm

Hi all,

I am looking for a (very) small Audax bike (steel preferably) for my boy to be able to start doing longer rides.
Ideally something like a Thorn Audax or similar (their 495s size would be perfect), a light tourer might fit the bill Not too fussed on cosmetic condition but needs to be mechanicaly good.
I can have one built by Thorn but considering that he will probably grow through it in a couple of years or so I would ideally like a cheaper option until he starts stealing my bikes!
I am in west Yorkshire but might travel some way for the right bike
Please PM me although advice is very welcome on this post

colin54

Re: Wanted (very) small Audax bike

Postby colin54 » 14 Jun 2020, 6:17pm

Did you see this Thorn Audax on ebay 52cm (20&1/2'') seat tube 53cm(21'') toptube, too big ? No connection to seller. Reynolds 753,708,653 & 531c all in one frameset !
Good luck finding something.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Audax- ... Sw~6Be4pa8

filo

Postby filo » 15 Jun 2020, 8:15am

Yorkshirethorn - you have a PM.

Hastinger

Postby Hastinger » 30 Jun 2020, 7:28pm

Yorkshire thorn you have a pm about a 19.5 inch frame (More or less 495mm) lightweight tourer.

whoof

Postby whoof » 2 Jul 2020, 12:33pm

yorkshirethorn wrote:Hi all,

I am looking for a (very) small Audax bike (steel preferably) for my boy to be able to start doing longer rides.
Ideally something like a Thorn Audax or similar (their 495s size would be perfect), a light tourer might fit the bill Not too fussed on cosmetic condition but needs to be mechanicaly good.
I can have one built by Thorn but considering that he will probably grow through it in a couple of years or so I would ideally like a cheaper option until he starts stealing my bikes!
I am in west Yorkshire but might travel some way for the right bike
Please PM me although advice is very welcome on this post

Have you looked in the for sale section on here recently? There's 48 cm Dawes Galaxy and Islabike, 49 cm Condor and 50 cm Peugeot.

velocipede65

Postby velocipede65 » 2 Jul 2020, 3:39pm

I've got a small Brian Rourke 853 tourer on the classifieds - flat bars - loads of room for growth and lots of options on finishing kit & tyres - :)

lescargo

Postby lescargo » 2 Jul 2020, 7:09pm

How urgent is this?

Perhaps you can save eventual cost by avoiding going for "very small".

I was reluctant, (seeing how mine grew so quickly) 40 years ago, to spend on small frame for elder of my lads.
I got round it by inverting a TRADITIONAL saddle clip on standard seat pin so that it sits inside, under the saddle.
Effectively lowers saddle 1"+, 28mm.
If I don't have one with matching old "ally" seat pin then someone on this site will, in their garage.

Also, consider that modern small road bike with SLOPING top-tube could save you another 1"+ there are now more
options with short stem.

Again, how urgent is this?
Probably worthwhile to post a "wanted" in "ARRIVEE" .
If your not already a member then its worth it for the excellent quarterly mags. which no doubt be more entertaining
and inspiring for him than "CYCLE".

pepita13

Postby pepita13 » 2 Jul 2020, 8:14pm

I'm also after an extra small framed tourer and am finding it hard to come by!

I did find this Audax on facebook today though...in case it's of interest.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/637490300441308/

I'm looking for something a bit more touring oriented like a Surly Long Haul Trucker...but maybe this is more along the lines of what you're after.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 6 Jul 2020, 10:01pm

I've a Specialized Sirrus Pro frameset that takes wide tyres (up to 40mm), guards and a rack in a small frame and very lightweight. Takes Cantis, Vs or Mini Vs.
The seatstays are carbon fibre as are the forks, it's in immaculate condition except two small chips in the paint.
These build in to light do it all bikes and are great for dropped bar conversions (it was a flat bar), I did that with my Globe Pro that is a slightly beefier version of the Sirrus and use it for touring, audax, winter rides and utility.
Sirrus Pro.jpg