Road style brake pad carrier

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
tad

Road style brake pad carrier

Postby tad » 29 Sep 2020, 9:22pm

I bought a used set of Tektro CR720 cantis for my winter bike a few months ago. I’ve finally got round to fitting them and find that I have two right hand carriers. Does anyone have a left hand carrier kicking about their spares box? Please message me if you’ve got one to sell/swap.

It takes a the same pads as my Ultegra summer bike so if anyone has a road pad carrier I could happily use that.

Cheerio,

Tad

Brucey

Re: Road style brake pad carrier

Postby Brucey » 4 Oct 2020, 2:01pm

can you not simply rotate the thing 180 degrees and use it?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tad

Postby tad » 4 Oct 2020, 3:15pm

If only it were that simple, it has a curve to it for one thing the scond issue is that on application of the brake the pad would be pushed out of the open end of the carrier rather than in to the closed end.

mjr

Postby mjr » 4 Oct 2020, 4:39pm

Brucey wrote:can you not simply rotate the thing 180 degrees and use it?

:shock: Who are you and how have you hijacked Brucey's account?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

peetee

Postby peetee » 4 Oct 2020, 5:40pm

mjr wrote::shock: Who are you and how have you hijacked Brucey's account?

He’s turned, I tell you, he’s turned.
We’re doomed.
The end is nigh!
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 4 Oct 2020, 6:57pm

tad wrote:If only it were that simple, it has a curve to it for one thing the scond issue is that on application of the brake the pad would be pushed out of the open end of the carrier rather than in to the closed end....

tad wrote:Image

er, the holder in your picture is clearly facing the wrong way already. If you turn it 180 degrees it will face the correct way and the brake block won't come out.

IME even if 'road' holders appear to be curved on the outside, the slot which accepts the insert is (unlike MTB ones) straight not curved. The only thing that stops you from using a road holder on the other side, the other way up, is the wheel guide, where that is built-in to the holder.

Needless to say if you have a wheel guide in an otherwise useless brake block, it is quick work with a hacksaw to 'solve' that problem.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tad

Postby tad » 4 Oct 2020, 10:21pm

er, it's to illustrate that I've got two right carriers (rather than a right and a left as happily sitting at the other end of the bike).

A helpful CTC member has sorted me out with one so no longer needed.