Cheap Road Bike for a newbie

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
GeekDadZoid

Cheap Road Bike for a newbie

Postby GeekDadZoid » 6 Oct 2020, 2:09pm

Hi All

I have been really enjoying getting out on longer rides on my Hybrid but really fancy trying out a proper road bike, but on a budget.

Has anyone around the Manchester / North West got a cheap one they are looking to clear out? I am not after anything fancy and do not mind doing any needed work.

Ideally I do not want to spend much £100 is probably my hard limit ( I know prices are currently higher than in the past ).

Let me know what you have.

Rod Goodfellow

Re: Cheap Road Bike for a newbie

Postby Rod Goodfellow » 6 Oct 2020, 2:14pm

What size?

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 6 Oct 2020, 2:17pm

Your hybrid **is** a proper road bike. Don't let anyone tell you any different. If you want to go faster on your hybrid then you may get some benefit from upgrading your tyres.

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 6 Oct 2020, 2:19pm

Rod Goodfellow wrote:What size?

Very good question. I have never ridden rode bike but I am 5'9 have a 29 inch inner leg measurement and ride a 19 inch Hybrid.

Not sure if that helps

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 6 Oct 2020, 2:23pm

freeflow wrote:Your hybrid **is** a proper road bike. Don't let anyone tell you any different. If you want to go faster on your hybrid then you may get some benefit from upgrading your tyres.

Ok to clarify, my Hybrid is my commuter bike, it is set up to be such with panniers, mudguards, puncture resistant tyres and front suspension. All of which I love for riding to and from work and also out with the kids, but all feel a little like they slow me down when I try and do an early morning 40 mile ride on some nice country lanes.

Hope that makes sense

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 6 Oct 2020, 2:35pm

I ride flat bar with pannier rack and mudguards all the time. If I were you I'd learn to lock out the front suspension and invest in a better pair of wheels with better tyres. You then change to your better wheels for your 40 mile rides. Put the other wheels back on for commuting. IMHO this would be the best use of your £100.

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 6 Oct 2020, 3:08pm

freeflow wrote:I ride flat bar with pannier rack and mudguards all the time. If I were you I'd learn to lock out the front suspension and invest in a better pair of wheels with better tyres. You then change to your better wheels for your 40 mile rides. Put the other wheels back on for commuting. IMHO this would be the best use of your £100.

I appreciate the advice and its not something I have just dismissed without thinking, but my suspension forks do not lock out and I would like something I can set off on without the hassle of changing the wheels, taking off my commuter gear.

pigman

Postby pigman » 6 Oct 2020, 6:56pm

It makes more sense to have a lighter leisure bike and a bomb proof workbike
£100 isn't much though, you'll need to look hard, be prepared to travel to buy it in an instant and maybe do some work.
Pre covid, you would have had a better chance

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 6 Oct 2020, 7:48pm

pigman wrote:It makes more sense to have a lighter leisure bike and a bomb proof workbike
£100 isn't much though, you'll need to look hard, be prepared to travel to buy it in an instant and maybe do some work.
Pre covid, you would have had a better chance

I am not in any phenomenal rush, I have seen a few Dawes Horizons finish on eBay sub £100. But due to holidays / work I wasn't in the position to collect.

I'll keep my eyes peeled

boink

Postby boink » 9 Oct 2020, 7:43am

Bike recycling centres are worth a look, although stocks are short now. More rad bikes than Mountain bikes for some reason. My local one in Stafford eg often has older road bikes at that sort of price point although £200 gets you something a lot better.

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 9 Oct 2020, 8:45am

£100 is definitely possible for a good road bike but personally I would avoid the very old road bikes with non standard 27 inch wheels and awful unsafe side caliper brakes. I would look for something like a Carrera Virtuoso made in the last 10 years which has a decent Claris drivetrain with freehub and basic but good dual pivot brakes. Many brands have done similar bikes in the past, Raleigh, Claud Butler, other shop brands. You can get a very decent road bike for £100 even now but you might have to keep your eyes peeled for a couple of weeks and check out ebay, gumtree, schpock, facebook marketplace etc. I would personally set a collection range of about 20 miles, that's basically a gallon of petrol for my car there and back.

Cheapest road bike I ever bought was a Specialized Sirrus won on ebay for £20. I sold the tyres, tubular wheels and clipless pedals I think for about £60 net and bought a new set of clincher wheels with tyres for £28 delivered from ebay. So the bike was actually free with a small profit. The brakes aren't amazing though and I've yet to replace them. I personally wouldn't recommend such a bike for daily use, suicide shifters, poor brakes although lovely ride quality, superior to many modern bikes. Something like this although this one has better brakes than mine;

This would be a better bike today, better brakes, brifters, lighter, safer, this model from 2012:

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 9 Oct 2020, 9:40am

boink wrote:Bike recycling centres are worth a look, although stocks are short now. More rad bikes than Mountain bikes for some reason. My local one in Stafford eg often has older road bikes at that sort of price point although £200 gets you something a lot better.

The one near me only ever seems to have Hybrids or Mountain bikes, I might give them a pop in later and see if anything new has come in.

Bonzo Banana wrote:£100 is definitely possible for a good road bike but personally I would avoid the very old road bikes with non standard 27 inch wheels and awful unsafe side caliper brakes. I would look for something like a Carrera Virtuoso made in the last 10 years which has a decent Claris drivetrain with freehub and basic but good dual pivot brakes. Many brands have done similar bikes in the past, Raleigh, Claud Butler, other shop brands. You can get a very decent road bike for £100 even now but you might have to keep your eyes peeled for a couple of weeks and check out ebay, gumtree, schpock, facebook marketplace etc. I would personally set a collection range of about 20 miles, that's basically a gallon of petrol for my car there and back.

That's what I am aiming at there have been a few around that price but not the right size for me.

I usually out my search up to 50 miles, which in some directions is a doddle and some an nightmare so I have to watch where things are.

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 9 Oct 2020, 6:17pm

The only issue with 50 miles as a range is that is a lot of time and fuel and you have to be prepared that when you get there the bike isn't as stated, you may find there is a crack in the frame, or in a much rougher condition than described or some other issue. Always be prepared to walk away or drive away in this case. Also there are many stolen bikes about, you may get there and realise the person you are buying from has absolutely no idea about the bike and clearly hasn't owned it for long which is suspicious but doesn't necessarily mean its stolen but could be. Admittedly this can be sussed out many times by speaking by phone and asking a few questions. Don't think if you get it home and realise the bike is stolen the seller or police will sort out the issue. I've heard stories where the police aren't interested and the seller will probably have already spent the money on a fix. Obviously if its ebay and the seller has a lot of positive feedback that is much lower risk than gumtree, facebook marketplace etc.

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 9 Oct 2020, 9:35pm

I don't disagree with what you have put, as I say 50 miles is the limit but I would think alot more about going to see a bike 50 miles away than one around the corner. I am always prepared to walk away if something is not as described.

I've seen a few pop up on eBay today which could be targets but nothing that has said buy me right now.

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 10 Oct 2020, 11:42am

You sound like you have a common sense approach which is all you need. I always love looking for a secondhand bike and finding a great deal in contrast to buying new as I always have regrets unless a bargain plus feel more comfortable extending the life of a product someone else has bought for environmental and economic reasons. It gives me a much more positive feeling.