Swapped - Claud Butler 531ST frame/forks 21.5" swap for smaller similar or...

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
AshenDruid

Swapped - Claud Butler 531ST frame/forks 21.5" swap for smaller similar or...

Post by AshenDruid »

This has been swapped. Gone to a nice new owner.

Claud Butler Regent 1992 Burgundy Touring Frame/forks 531ST steel tubing.

This would appear to be one of the last frames under the Claud Butler name in the UK, in Brigg in Lincolnshire. The colour, according to the 1992 catalogue is Cathedral Burgundy. It boasts a full set of braze-ons for bottle cages, mudguards, rear rack, lowrider front rack, downtube shifters or cable stops and cantilever brake bosses.
The Regent model used the same frame as its more famous brother, the Dalesman, but in different colour schemes depending on year and with lower spec. components.

I am having to admit this beautiful frame will have to find a new home. I bought it thinking it was a 21” frame size, which is the top of my limit, but it is actually 21.5”. Adding the rear brake cable run along the top tube gives a stand-over height which is just too tall for me.
It rides incredibly well, smooth, responsive and stable but having to put my feet down to negotiate gated roads is just a bit too precarious. It will suit someone 5’6” or over and deserves to go to a good home.

I bought it as a barn find and in rebuilding it cleaned off all the accumulated mud/oil, extracted the stuck head stem (it’s amazing what Coca Cola will do!). All threads are in excellent condition. So it is all ready for building up.

There is some paint loss on the dropouts, on the top tube where the rear brake cable runs (which are mostly covered when a cable is fitted), and on the rear triangle. The undercoat is still intact as can be seen in the photos. There are a small number of scuffs elsewhere but on the whole the paintwork is in very good condition and the overall appearance is excellent with the decals being in surprisingly good order for the age. If I had been keeping it I would probably have left the paintwork as it is.

Please inspect the photos carefully to your own satisfaction and see the Specifications list below. I am happy to answer any questions.
I was not able to upload all the photos but am happy to supply more on request.

I am looking to swap this for a smaller frame with a similar pedigree and specification, or (and this is probably a long shot…) a Raleigh Pioneer Elite LX 501 framed full bike.
Delivery/collection to be discussed (I am very close to the M1/M6/A14 junction).
I have also listed this in the For Sale topic.

Thank you for your patience in reading through all of this, and I hope you enjoy the photos.

Specifications:

Seat tube (Ctr. BB to top): 21.5” 54.5cm

Top tube length ctr to ctr: 22” 56cm

Downtube ctr to ctr: 24.375” 62.5cm

Wheelbase: 41” 104cm

Stand-over Top tube height incl. cable: 31.5” 80cm

Front forks OLD: 110mm

Rear forks OLD: 125mm will take a wheel with 130mm with a bit
of coaxing.

Weight (frame, forks, headset): 2.95kg 6.5lbs

Headset: Tange steel, fitted and regreased.

Seat post: Original fluted seat post in black and silver,
along with original saddle are included.
Attachments
100_3358.JPG
100_3357.JPG
100_3356.JPG
100_3355.JPG
100_3354.JPG
Last edited by AshenDruid on 6 Jun 2021, 6:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimlews

Re: Claud Butler 531ST frame/forks 21.5" swap for smaller similar or...

Post by jimlews »

I have a Nigel Dean Tour Ace 19.5" c-t frameset C/W New cartridge BB (First Components) and New Spa 165mm C/S (74/110 bcd type) if that is of interest.
531st frameset, but takes 27mm seatpost (included). Nice lugwork. TT is 21.5" c-c

I was building this up for my niece, but she has decided that she prefers ponies :roll:
AshenDruid

Post by AshenDruid »

Very interested. I know that Nigel Dean made a speciality of frames for the smaller rider so yes I would love to discuss further.

I have attached some more photos.

It's a long while since I used the private messaging on this forum but I will try and send you a message.
Attachments
100_3363.JPG
100_3362.JPG
100_3361.JPG
100_3360.JPG
100_3359.JPG
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I've sent you a PM