Cycle Theft in Bristol

PC Frank

Cycle Theft in Bristol

Post by PC Frank »

Graham edit : Copied & stickied from the original posting.

Hello everyone,
I am a new user on this forum and wanted to introduce myself to you all.

My name is Frank and I am a police officer working with the Community Safety Team at Newfoundland Road Police Station.

One of my roles is to reduce bike theft in Bristol city over the next two years in tandem (haha) with the timetable for cycling city.

I wanted to join this forum so that users would have an opportunity to contact me directly and discuss the issue of bike theft.

Now for the contriversal part.......are you ready........(deep breath).......I am not a cyclist.

However, I do know something about crime reduction and I am concerned about the level of theft in the city and want to help prevent people becoming victim's of crime.

I hope that my presence on this forum will be of benefit to you. I won't always be able to provide the result you desire, and I won't always be able to tell you everything the police is doing (some of it is a bit secret squirrel). But I wil do my best to assist and advise you.

There are 43 geographical police forces in the UK, and they all organise themselves differently, therefore if you live outside of Bristol and have an enquiry, I will be unable to assist you - sorry.

Cheers,

Frank

PC 1422 Frank Simonds
Crime Prevention Design Advisor
Bristol Community Safety Team
Newfoundland Road Police Station
zaskar rider

Re: Cycle Theft in Bristol

Post by zaskar rider »

what a fantastic idea

we should have a pc from each area on this forum.. im sure posting details will help a lot.. as when im out and about i tend to look at many cycles (im sure this is a thing that keen cyclists do ) as i go around.

but sadly you are a little out of my area.

any chance you could start the ball rolling to get more pc's reporting on here ?

regards

chris
fixie fanatic
tad

Post by tad »

PC Frank wrote:Graham edit : Copied & stickied from the original posting.

One of my roles is to reduce bike theft in Bristol city over the next two years in tandem (haha) with the timetable for cycling city.

Now for the contriversal part.......are you ready........(deep breath).......I am not a cyclist.

Hello and welcome PC Frank a useful addition to the forum.

One question, if you're not a cyclist how did you get saddled (ha ha ha) with reducing bike theft in Bristol?

I'll get my coat.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Welcome, too... from Bristol - I live in Easton.
Not had a bike nicked yet in the 20 years I've lived there - he says, touching wood...
I enjoyed reading about the Rohloff / Thorn stolen and then recovered via eBay, back in the summer - it's good to know we might have a quick way to contact the police if the same sort of thing happens again...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

Frank,

Are you still there?

If you are, can you give us some good ideas to make sure that the Police take us seriously when we report a stolen bike?
Looking at the "stolen bike uk" website there does seem to be a lack of interest at times. I'm sure the police are very busy but....

Rod
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PC Frank has not logged in since August 2010. Your question might be better addressed to your elected Police Crime Commissioner https://www.gov.uk/police-and-crime-commissioners

Good luck.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Janehop80

Post by Janehop80 »

Are you still in operation PC Frank? I have reported my stolen Brompton to Somerset & Avon and have additional information/suspicion which cannot be submitted (because the thief was not seen) with my formal statement. I live in a social housing complex of around 30 residents in the north of the city and the bike was stolen at 4.30am this morning (11th Nov, 23) from outside my personal flat door. The only way the thief could have accessed this part of the complex would be with a security fob or security number using the keyboard outside the building and the security gate to garden and car park. This means that it is unlikely that the bike was stolen by anybody other than a fellow resident. I wonder if you can help.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Janehop80 wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 4:33pm Are you still in operation PC Frank? I have reported my stolen Brompton to Somerset & Avon and have additional information/suspicion which cannot be submitted (because the thief was not seen) with my formal statement. I live in a social housing complex of around 30 residents in the north of the city and the bike was stolen at 4.30am this morning (11th Nov, 23) from outside my personal flat door. The only way the thief could have accessed this part of the complex would be with a security fob or security number using the keyboard outside the building and the security gate to garden and car park. This means that it is unlikely that the bike was stolen by anybody other than a fellow resident. I wonder if you can help.
With respect, wouldn't you be better giving this rather personal information to the police, and not posting it for general viewing?