Is anyone missing a Blue Paris Galibier?

Robbied196

Is anyone missing a Blue Paris Galibier?

Post by Robbied196 »

I hope I'm wrong about this but thought I'd make this post about a Paris Galibier that recently came up for sale in what can only be called, dubious circumstances.

The bike was/is in what could be called a 'socially challenged' area of Wolverhampton. It was advertised for sale at £45. The only contact method with the seller was via email, the seller plainly knows nothing about the bike. It is most likely hand built by Tom Board of Condor Cycles and if you know Paris Galibier cycles they are a very distinctive frame design. These bikes are both rare, valuable and sort after in cycling circles.

A link to the advert was posted on another cycling forum. The number of responses including by myself probably made the seller realise the bike was worth a lot more than £45. I was involved a loop of emails along with, as it turned out, other forum members. Each email continually inflated the price but also offered a completed deal to several people. Only one person got address details for collection but after a few days it appears we've all received the same email saying the bike was sold for £450. We don't know who the buyer was if indeed there is a buyer.

It is a very curious sale of a rare bike, but allsorts of valuable items can slip through the net and end up on boot sales or the like. However, if you think you know the history of this bike and have a legitimate connection to it please send me a PM and I'll try and help out with further details.

Happy cycling
Rob
9494arnold

Re: Is anyone missing a Blue Paris Galibier?

Post by 9494arnold »

Rob
I have my suspiscions too. Friend from "down south" alerted me to the ad, (we both own Galibiers) the alleged location was within 5 miles of where I live (it's actually some distance from Wolverhampton ). I am aware of most enthusiasts / interesting bikes in the locality,VCC member, but this was a new one on me.
I sent the e mail , and was told the bid was at £450:00 , I said I might better it subject to seeing the machine ,and expected to be given an address , Intended to at least go and see it ( I am retires Policeman so would have done what was needed if it didn't feel right)only to have another e mail saying it was sold following day.
But these things happen. I trolled in to a recycling place in Wolverhampton few years ago ( on my trike )and there was a Galibier there (25" Painted bright purple) but it had already been sold. Mine was being used by a bloke who had been disqualified from driving and his brother had given it to him, he hadn't got a clue what it was. (and it was in a shocking state too) But you never know where they might turn up,I was lucky enough to locate a high end Hobbs frame at local dump which I saved from the crusher and a Curly Hetchins (24" frame) that a bloke no taller than 5' 2" had been lent by a work colleague , he was wheeling it down the road with a shopping bag on the bars (another "rough" one)

Paul Arnold
bianchi7

Post by bianchi7 »

Robbied196 wrote:I hope I'm wrong about this but thought I'd make this post about a Paris Galibier that recently came up for sale in what can only be called, dubious circumstances. . . · .

Hi rob.

The galabier was down at £45 but this was a typo error and was meant to say £450.
I was 1st to email the seller and he invited my friend who is a fan of paris and rensch cycles to his house to view the bike..

I can assure you it was not a socially challenged area but a affluent area on the stafford rd.
The paris was his late fathers. Frame is original paintwork and in excellent condition.
My friend as since kitted it out with full period campagnolo parts and it can be seen in good weather round the sreets of wolverhampton.
It is also a 1949 frame.

Thanks stuart.
disherwood

Post by disherwood »

Hi Stuart
just wondered if the Paris in question is currently up for sale for £1700 on preloved ?
Owner is said to be an 80 year old man ?
I currenly have two Thanet silverlights that require restoration so would like to sell one and get a machine I can use.
cheers
david