Advice requested

gusters

Advice requested

Post by gusters »

I had two bikes stolen last June. Reported to police then nothing until I came across pictures of the bikes on a website just before Christmas.
With the help of the pictures I was able to locate an address. The police followed this up and - cautioned two 16-18 year olds for handling stolen property.
The bikes have never been recovered and the police refuse to give the names and addresses of the two people who were cautioned citing data protection! I want to take a civil action through the small claims court to recover my losses. The police say they may give the information to a solicitor, but a local solicitor quoted me £157 plus vat just for writing a letter. I can see it costing more than I might recover.
Incidentally, the police and crime commissioners office have declined to assist me and support the decision of the police to with hold the information. Crime pays.

Has anyone been in a similar position? How did you overcome this? My bikes were worth £1250, unfortunately not insured. The cops have had a result for their statistics and the thieves had a telling off.
thirdcrank

Re: Advice requested

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd suggest trying somewhere like the Citizens Advice Bureau or Advice UK. If you are a member if a trade union, they may be able to advise.

I think that the police are applying a policy that they will only divulge the info when it's confirmed that proceedings are being commenced. It's then easy to make the leap to say that instructing a solicitor is a part of that process, which it obviously isn't, especially if you intend using the small claims procedure where, afaik, it's all intended to minimise the involvement of lawyers. If you have only had this refusal verbally, you might consider asking for it in writing, with an explanation of what policy they are applying. It's hard to argue against something if you don't know precisely what the other side is saying. If you have had it in writing, then check it carefully.

The CAB should also be able to help about taking action against minors - I presume that at least one of them is under 18. I suspect it's not straightforward.