will i be voteing with my feet

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Simon L6

Re: will i be voteing with my feet

Post by Simon L6 »

the OP will forgive me if I confess that for a second or two I had a vision of raised feet at the AGM - sandals and argyle socks bearing the standard of democracy...

I'd be sad if people left, whatever the result of the vote, but I do think we're vulnerable. If you packaged the things that people pay for, spiced it with a bit of campaigning, and set up an internet/e-mail only operation, disdaining print, postage and accountability not to mention life membership, you could make a profit on a sub at half the present rate. And, wierdly, it would be easier to negotiate a better agreement with cycle shops than we have now if we didn't have the encumbrance (sp?) of Wiggle and a print mag that is paid for by mail order shopping advertisers.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Simon L6 wrote:the OP will forgive me if I confess that for a second or two I had a vision of raised feet at the AGM - sandals and argyle socks bearing the standard of democracy...

I'd be sad if people left, whatever the result of the vote, but I do think we're vulnerable. If you packaged the things that people pay for, spiced it with a bit of campaigning, and set up an internet/e-mail only operation, disdaining print, postage and accountability not to mention life membership, you could make a profit on a sub at half the present rate. And, wierdly, it would be easier to negotiate a better agreement with cycle shops than we have now if we didn't have the encumbrance (sp?) of Wiggle and a print mag that is paid for by mail order shopping advertisers.

Indeed - the Touring Cyclists Club could yet come into being :!:

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Simon L6 wrote:... I do think we're vulnerable. If you packaged the things that people pay for, spiced it with a bit of campaigning, and set up an internet/e-mail only operation, disdaining print, postage and accountability not to mention life membership, you could make a profit on a sub at half the present rate. And, wierdly, it would be easier to negotiate a better agreement with cycle shops than we have now if we didn't have the encumbrance (sp?) of Wiggle and a print mag that is paid for by mail order shopping advertisers.

I doubt if many cycle tourists make much practical use of the CTC, as so many cycle touring resources are now available free online. For cycle touring per se, there's no need for a traditional club at all. All you need (although it's not as easy as it sounds) is a strong website with good branding, a members' free login, and income from advertising bike shops and products. Group rides can be organised online.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

I have to say that I hope that there is no 'split' from CTC over this issue. Talk about 'splits' makes me nervous - and plays into the hands of those who are trying to scaremonger by suggesting that this is what the 'No Campaign' want.

We don't need a 'new' CTC - we just need to take back control of the one that we have already. If we defeat this motion, then there will be grounds to demand changes - and councillors who will be very mindful of the power of the membership.