Save the CTC Web Site

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Jimmy The Hand

Re: Save the CTC Web Site

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

gaz wrote:Spin, both sides are capable of pedalling facts at a high cadence.

never! :shock:
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

Regulator wrote:
Jimmy The Hand wrote:Can you tell me why, in your comments on the email from the North West councillors, you make the point that neither the Chair of Management nor the financial advisor is an accountant?

From save the CTC website/spinwatch/1st email
……As part of the accountability process our financial advisor and chair of a management committee, both of whom are highly qualified financial experts [The chair of the Management Committee has made it clear he is not an accountant and the financial advisor is a banker – not an accountant], have examined the accounts in detail and confirm the positive figures presented.

As they are the people who are being put forward as 'confirming' the accounts, I would suggest it is important to know whether or not they are accountants.

I would have said it was important to know what their "highly qualified financial expertise" was.

In fact one was, until he retired, a senior member of the IR and the other, so I believe, is a senior banker, both I would say well qualified to read and comment on a set of accounts, or do you disagree?

For those of us who don't know Colin Quemby perhaps you can tell us his qualifications?
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Jimmy The Hand wrote:In fact one was, until he retired, a senior member of the IR and the other, so I believe, is a senior banker, both I would say well qualified to read and comment on a set of accounts, or do you disagree?

For those of us who don't know Colin Quemby perhaps you can tell us his qualifications?

'Senior banker' is perhaps over-egging it a bit, given his relatively young age... And suggesting bankers have a good grasp of accounting might raise a few eyebrows given the recent banking crisis. :wink:

Colin Quemby is/was (not sure which) a chartered certified accountant. As it happens, I also have a postgraduate Certificate in Charity Management from the Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators, of which a significant proportion is/was charity finance and accounting. I am also well versed at reading and commenting on charity accounts.
Last edited by Regulator on 11 Feb 2010, 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

he's a retired accountant. And he's on the Holidays and Tours board, which turns a profit

Hot news! We (by which I mean Councillors, yrs truly and Colin) have all been invited to a meeting at National Office. Dates are being sorted out. This could be a bit of a breakthrough! Hope springs eternal!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Regulator wrote:And suggesting bankers have a good grasp of accounting might raise a few eyebrows given the recent banking crisis. :wink:

Of course if someone is appropriately qualified to examine the accounts, like our auditors, it's always possible that they might not be considered sufficiently independent for members to trust their conclusions. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

Simon L6 wrote:he's a retired accountant. And he's on the Holidays and Tours board, which turns a profit

Your not suggesting H&T only turns a profit because he's on board are you? :wink: :lol:
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Jimmy The Hand wrote:
Simon L6 wrote:he's a retired accountant. And he's on the Holidays and Tours board, which turns a profit

Your not suggesting H&T only turns a profit because he's on board are you? :wink: :lol:

not at all - but he has a track record and that's not a small thing!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Simon L6 wrote:Hot news! We (by which I mean Councillors, yrs truly and Colin) have all been invited to a meeting at National Office. Dates are being sorted out. This could be a bit of a breakthrough! Hope springs eternal!

And nobody expects the Spanish inquisition! :lol:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

gaz wrote:
Simon L6 wrote:Hot news! We (by which I mean Councillors, yrs truly and Colin) have all been invited to a meeting at National Office. Dates are being sorted out. This could be a bit of a breakthrough! Hope springs eternal!

And nobody expects the Spanish inquisition! :lol:

I don't. I genuinely don't.

Let's get this in to our heads. We're in this together. Certain stuff has to be addressed, whatever the result of the AGM. It can do no harm to compare misapprehensions. And let's accept that there's good will all around (a certain Councillor from Yorkshire excepted). If you were to take Kevin and cut him in half you'd find 'Cycling' running through him like a stick of rock. I've led rides with Simon Connell, with Jimmy the Hand, with Greg Price and they're all of the soundest mind and fairest disposition - although I do resent young Connell's sailing up Ditchling Beacon and leaving me for dead.

This present mess must be fixable because it has to be fixable.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

gaz wrote:
Regulator wrote:And suggesting bankers have a good grasp of accounting might raise a few eyebrows given the recent banking crisis. :wink:

Of course if someone is appropriately qualified to examine the accounts, like our auditors, it's always possible that they might not be considered sufficiently independent for members to trust their conclusions. :wink:

Well, one would question the wisdom of having had the same auditors since the time when Methuselah was in nappies... :wink:
workhard

Post by workhard »

Regulator wrote:I also have a postgraduate Certificate in Charity Management from the Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators, of which a significant proportion is/was charity finance and accounting.

Look at you! er, snap! :wink:
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Hot news! We (by which I mean Councillors, yrs truly and Colin) have all been invited to a meeting at National Office. Dates are being sorted out. This could be a bit of a breakthrough! Hope springs eternal!

I had an invitation to this from Kevin. Sadly I will not be able to attend as it is in Guildford, on a Thursday, when I will be working :(
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

workhard wrote:
Regulator wrote:I also have a postgraduate Certificate in Charity Management from the Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators, of which a significant proportion is/was charity finance and accounting.

Look at you! er, snap! :wink:

All the best people have it, you know... :D
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

I'm telling you readers, the thought of being on an all night ride with Workhard and Greg swapping Charity Management qualifications is the only thing that's getting me through the day....................
Si

Post by Si »

Simon L6 wrote:I'm telling you readers, the thought of being on an all night ride with Workhard and Greg swapping Charity Management qualifications is the only thing that's getting me through the day....................

Gads, a thought has just occured.
You know when you go out for a normal(tm) bike ride with your club mates, and somebody you meet at the cafe asks "how far are you going?" and you say "only 50 mile or so" and they look at you in alarm and ask "so it's a charity ride then?"...... If the Yes vote wins, then on any CTC DA/Club ride we'll have to answer "yes". :twisted: