Thinking of joining CTC now?

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
mbailey

Thinking of joining CTC now?

Post by mbailey »

I am thinking of joining the CTC now as I would like to access the route maps database.

How ever reading alot of the discussions on this vote, I wonder if I should wait till after the AGM result before paying a years membership for something that could completely change?
workhard

Re: Thinking of joining CTC now?

Post by workhard »

surely depends on why you want to join?
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

mbailey wrote:I am thinking of joining the CTC now as I would like to access the route maps database.

How ever reading alot of the discussions on this vote, I wonder if I should wait till after the AGM result before paying a years membership for something that could completely change?

Join now. Whatever happens, it'll still be worth the membership fee.

And if you join now, then you'll have the ability to influence the decision anyway.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

If you're joining CTC or renewning your membership, you'll be getting a little billet doux from Council:

You can almost hear the Chair explaining (in his best patronising 'I'm a politician and know best' voice) that "you needn't worry your little head with the details - just tick here and leave it to us. We know what's good for you".
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Regardless of the voting shenanigans, and the outcome, you'll still have access to the routes. What particular routes were you interested in - many are available from other sources if you Google them
Retired and loving it
kevinp

Post by kevinp »

Well I joined because I wanted access to the routes, and I don't think they are that good to be honest the lejog ones are old photocopys, I was expecting nicely laid out pdf's ..... maybe I was expecting too much ?
robgul

Post by robgul »

kevinp wrote:Well I joined because I wanted access to the routes, and I don't think they are that good to be honest the lejog ones are old photocopys, I was expecting nicely laid out pdf's ..... maybe I was expecting too much ?

Have to agree that "member resources" (like the routesheet stuff) do leave something to be desired and "member benefits" (discounts against vastly inflated prices that can be easily beaten) are not worth promoting.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Si

Post by Si »

Given that a move to being a charity means that we have to put the general population's interests above those of the membership (AIUI), would this have an impact upon the members' only parts of the website? For instance, would the list of routes, currently open only to members, have to be open to the general public? Or would they remain a 'member benefit'?
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Si wrote:Given that a move to being a charity means that we have to put the general population's interests above those of the membership (AIUI), would this have an impact upon the members' only parts of the website? For instance, would the list of routes, currently open only to members, have to be open to the general public? Or would they remain a 'member benefit'?

Si

I think the point is being made above that it's a questionable benefit in any case so does it matter?
Retired and loving it
Si

Post by Si »

mw3230 wrote:
Si wrote:Given that a move to being a charity means that we have to put the general population's interests above those of the membership (AIUI), would this have an impact upon the members' only parts of the website? For instance, would the list of routes, currently open only to members, have to be open to the general public? Or would they remain a 'member benefit'?

Si

I think the point is being made above that it's a questionable benefit in any case so does it matter?

I think so because: it attracts new members (as shown), and it is useful for some - I've used it most profitably in the past. Sure it could be better, and given that the No-voters have hi-lited the case for improving member benefits it might even be improved in the future. Some of the routes have been put onto online mapping already - whether the others will I don't know but it does show that there has been some desire by someone to improve them.
gaz

Post by gaz »

If we do become a Membership Charity then there is clearly still scope for membership benefits.

As a member of YHA I receive discounted overnight fees, magazine, handbook, etc.

As a member of English Heritage I receive free (or discounted) entry to their properties, magazine, handbook, etc.

I don't know whether any existing web benefits will be "opened up" to the general public. The forum is already available to non-members but has been cited by others as a reason for joining CTC.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

gaz wrote:
The forum is already available to non-members but has been cited by others as a reason for joining CTC.

Yes, at the moment. Alas, I've not recieved a reply from KM regarding questions about changes to the forum (or, indeed, the potentially brand new replacement forum) when the new website kicks in shortly.