Article in December/January Issue of Cycle

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Simon L6

Re: Article in December/January Issue of Cycle

Post by Simon L6 »

Regulator wrote:If there was supposed to be balance in the article in 'Cycle', can comeone explain why people are referred to the CTC web-site for further information - but not to the Save the CTC web-site (or any other web-site)?

Is that a balanced approach to take?

is that a rhetorical question? :D
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Simon L6 wrote:
Regulator wrote:If there was supposed to be balance in the article in 'Cycle', can comeone explain why people are referred to the CTC web-site for further information - but not to the Save the CTC web-site (or any other web-site)?

is that a rhetorical question? :D

How dare you sir! Are you suggesting I would engage in rhetoric?

:D
gaz

Post by gaz »

Deserving of a reply, I knew you wouldn't stoop to rhetoric.

IMO the level of balance shifts if you quote the reference from that article in full rather than in part.

The article says "The debate has been covered in detail - see http://www.ctc.org.uk/charity for information and links". The "/charity" page has a "Links and Discussion" button which offers a wide range of links including Save the CTC and the forum.

IMO, given the passionate nature of the debate, it would have been better to have named the Save the CTC site in the article.

It is grossly undignified to have debased the matter with a prize draw.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Clarion

Post by Clarion »

I agree that the prize draw does make me uneasy about the whole process.

And, although the coverage this time was less biased than prior to the AGM, the very partisan editing of Jeff's comments, and the sometimes bizarre correspondence which Dan has kindly published for us, show a sadly skewed approach.
Fellowship Is Life! Unity Is Strength!
clem the moderniser

Post by clem the moderniser »

Clarion wrote:I agree that the prize draw does make me uneasy about the whole process.

And, although the coverage this time was less biased than prior to the AGM, the very partisan editing of Jeff's comments, and the sometimes bizarre correspondence which Dan has kindly published for us, show a sadly skewed approach.

Dan's approach is neither bizarre nor skewed
Clarion

Post by Clarion »

This is what struck me particularly as bizarre:

Dan Joyce wrote:Journalists in this country don't use pre-set questions. We're not
living in totalitarian state. I am accommodating you by giving you
the
opportunity to support your petition.

It is quite normal for an interviewee to be given a list of questions to be asked, especially on such an important issue. Paxman and Humphrys aside, it's just good manners to let someone prepare full and informative answers.

The skewing comes in the way the bullet points were edited. Jeff conceded that edits could be made, but makes it clear which ones he feels are most important. That is not how the edited version came out, and some important points were thus not communicated to members.
Fellowship Is Life! Unity Is Strength!