New Membership Cycling Organisation

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
bikerpauline

Re: New Membership Cycling Organisation

Post by bikerpauline »

robgul wrote:
robgul wrote:
Simon L6 wrote:there's also a £25 one-off admin fee

Yebbut - that's one off ... it makes no real/significant difference ... say : 50 members = £1.50 per member for year 1, £1 a year thereafter - and IIRC the £50 rate (£75 year 1) allows up to 250 members - so it's really just a micturate in the ocean.

Rob

Hmm, there's obviously some sort of Big Brother sitting behind the forum the description of the item in the ocean was typed as another word in my original post .... perhaps they're just taking the micturate :shock:

Rob

There has always been a Big Bother on this forum. His job is usually to remove any post even mildly critical of council and management.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bikerpauline wrote:There has always been a Big Bother on this forum. His job is usually to remove any post even mildly critical of council and management.

The moderators' job (and there are several of them, all volunteers) is to remove/edit/moderate any posts that break the rules that members of this forum agree to when they join. It's quite clear and simple what's allowed and what isn't. Thanks to the moderators this Forum has a reputation of being a pleasant place to discuss things :)

There are plenty of posts here that are critical of the CTC organisation, council and management: particularly in this Charity Debate message board. You don't have to look far to find them.
horizon

Post by horizon »

admin wrote:[ Thanks to the moderators this Forum has a reputation of being a pleasant place to discuss things :)

I agree.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bikerpauline

Post by bikerpauline »

admin wrote:
bikerpauline wrote:There has always been a Big Bother on this forum. His job is usually to remove any post even mildly critical of council and management.

Thanks to the moderators this Forum has a reputation of being a pleasant place to discuss things :)

Couldn't disagree more. It has the reputation of being a sanatised forum where proper discussion about the CTC does not take place. This is the reason the real discussions take place on other forums.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

bikerpauline wrote:Couldn't disagree more. It has the reputation of being a sanatised forum where proper discussion about the CTC does not take place. This is the reason the real discussions take place on other forums.

That's the problem with reputations in situations like this, they frequently don't reflect reality or are the opinions of one or two individuals venting their anger elsewhere. I've had a few post deleted and/or altered, but only where I'd broken the house rules - profanity usually :oops: The briefest read through the Charity debating thread, for example, would suggest that sanitising isn't something that occurs where common decency has been used in getting points and opinions across. It's a "family friendly" forum, so if anything does get deleted, you can bet it's because it was offensive.

Hats off to the mods, they manage to remain quite impartial in their duties regardless of their own take on a topic. That's not easy to do but they manage admirably 8)
gaz

Post by gaz »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Hats off to the mods, they manage to remain quite impartial in their duties regardless of their own take on a topic. That's not easy to do but they manage admirably 8)

Speaking as one who has had posts removed from the Charity Board, they do the job exceptionally well. The job is impartial moderation.

bikerpauline wrote:It has the reputation of being a sanatised forum where proper discussion about the CTC does not take place.

Were the job sanitisation I don't think this particular thread, seeking to gauge support for launching an alternative club, would have been allowed to start.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bikerpauline

Post by bikerpauline »

Reading previous postings on this topic it appears there has been some editing.

Getting back to the original topic, both me and my husband would be very interested in a new cycling association that returned to the aims and ideals of the Cyclists’ Touring Club.
gagagiste

Post by gagagiste »

Having watched the CTC loosing its way and going downhill, except for one or two local groups (one time DAs) who have stuck together as a club, for the past 25+ years my membership is solely for the 3rd party insurance and legal aid benefits. I will be happy to ditch the CTC and join any club offering these services for a reasonable subscription.
gaz

Post by gaz »

gagagiste wrote:Having watched the CTC loosing its way and going downhill, except for one or two local groups (one time DAs) who have stuck together as a club, for the past 25+ years my membership is solely for the 3rd party insurance and legal aid benefits. I will be happy to ditch the CTC and join any club offering these services for a reasonable subscription.

Why not consider British Cycling.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
robgul

Post by robgul »

gaz wrote:
gagagiste wrote:Having watched the CTC loosing its way and going downhill, except for one or two local groups (one time DAs) who have stuck together as a club, for the past 25+ years my membership is solely for the 3rd party insurance and legal aid benefits. I will be happy to ditch the CTC and join any club offering these services for a reasonable subscription.

Why not consider British Cycling.

.... and BC frequently offers a first year at half price option to join .... just ask!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mike4.3

Post by mike4.3 »

You may therefore find this quite interesting...
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/institute-of-advanced-motorists-targets-cyclists-29010
meic

Post by meic »

I have looked at this before.
The details of the insurance are (deliberately?) vague.
The Bike Radar article has taken it for granted that it is third party insurance and makes a direct comparison to CTC in this respect.

When I studied the IAM site both now and months ago, I decided that it does NOT say you get third party insurance and I was looking for it.

Also this is an introductory offer so the price goes up next year.

If it was third party insurance I would join (for one year at least).
Yma o Hyd
robgul

Post by robgul »

meic wrote:I have looked at this before.
The details of the insurance are (deliberately?) vague.
The Bike Radar article has taken it for granted that it is third party insurance and makes a direct comparison to CTC in this respect.

When I studied the IAM site both now and months ago, I decided that it does NOT say you get third party insurance and I was looking for it.

Also this is an introductory offer so the price goes up next year.

If it was third party insurance I would join (for one year at least).

Yep - in the same way that the ETA offering is IMHO dubious ... BUT the British Cycling basic deal seems like-for-like at less money (with a 50% first year incentive)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

bikerpauline wrote:
admin wrote:

Thanks to the moderators this Forum has a reputation of being a pleasant place to discuss things :)

Couldn't disagree more. It has the reputation of being a sanatised forum where proper discussion about the CTC does not take place. This is the reason the real discussions take place on other forums.

Hi bikerpauline
I disagree with you. One only has to read the posts to see that all sides have had the opportunity to state their case. :|
jonty
bikerpauline

Post by bikerpauline »

How do we know when posts have been removed or edited?