New Membership Cycling Organisation

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
meic

Re: New Membership Cycling Organisation

Post by meic »

Just because we can be a charity doesnt mean we want to or should be one.

I can only vote for one councillor and he did fight it.
Regardless of the views of council I will vote against it because it is my "right" to do so and the articles specifically give me the mechanism to do so, for that very reason.

Which is why some of you would like to see those articles changed and of course once it is a charity I wont have the rights anyway.

Phillip,
I am not that familiar with the articles as to recognise them when thinly disguised. :oops:

So if those are the rules that have evolved with the club, then it would make sense to stick with them even if there are bits which I might not like.
Yma o Hyd
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

John - that's simply incorrect from beginning to end. You've been told so many times that I simply haven't the pixels to waste to tell you again.

Are you still not going to discuss the £250,000 bridging loan? Will the subs go up to £40? That's the underlying point behind Phil's post. A lot of people admire the CTC's 'charity' work, but in today's economic climate not everybody fancies paying for them.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

It may be worth a CTC motion for the AGM,

That no further action to convert the CTC to a charity be taken until the following 3 members investigate and report on the issue.

Members are .......PB, ......, .....

Reasons;
After widespred debate within the CTC and postal votes being provided to all members, less than 20% of membership voted for conversion to a charity. Vote approximately 75% in favour from 25% of membership, i.e. 18.75%.

A proportion of members may leave the CTC and start up an alternative cycling club.

How the CTC functions may be improved by investigation and alternatives to the CTC conversion may be possible.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Phil would probably reply that it would be nice if the three members gained the independent financial advice that he asked for when he was a Councillor, and was promised time and time again.
gaz

Post by gaz »

As a recruitment tool, could I suggest that new members are entered into a prize draw for a Goretex Jacket. :lol:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meic

Post by meic »

As I do like to ride with a not exactly local DA on occasions, it has crossed my mind that it will not be entirely my own decision, if they are staying CTC then so will I, if they transfer as a group then so will I. If it fragments the group I will get to decide for myself.

I looked at BCF as it gives the needed insurance cover but I think that at a price of £24 for nothing else of interest to me (not a sporty type), I would happily pay the extra for CTC membership.

I dont think that any desertions will be of enough numbers to be anything but a relief to the National Office. The power of the CTC "brand" is enormous and whoever wins that will be calling the shots.
Yma o Hyd
robgul

Post by robgul »

gaz wrote:As a recruitment tool, could I suggest that new members are entered into a prize draw for a Goretex Jacket. :lol:

.... I think you'd need to add a merino wool base-layer to really get the numbers up :twisted:

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

meic wrote:As I do like to ride with a not exactly local DA on occasions, it has crossed my mind that it will not be entirely my own decision, if they are staying CTC then so will I...

Do you HAVE to pay to ride with friends then? Or are they the sort of people who say "If you're not a member you're not coming with us? :?
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
meic

Post by meic »

They would not ask because they would think that I am a member.

I am talking about CTC DA rides and you are supposed to join CTC if you do more than a few of them. I think that I would respect that requirement.
Yma o Hyd
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

absolutely correct. That's what's put the FNRttC in a difficult position.

I don't know if being an affiliated member entitles you to go out with the DA.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Simon L6 wrote:absolutely correct. That's what's put the FNRttC in a difficult position.

I don't know if being an affiliated member entitles you to go out with the DA.

I think this has been discussed recently (the thread may have been called "Right to ride" ? - as in the right to ride with a member group/DA/section - rather the "Right to Ride" CTC representatives. IIRC there was no obvious and clear answer forthcoming.

However - at about £50 for a "group/club/whatever" to affiliate and the about £12 a year for an affiliated member it seems like good value ... the club gets a mag and insurance - everything else that's missing is, to me, of nil value ... just don't get me started on the spurious "discounts"

Rob
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

there's also a £25 one-off admin fee
robgul

Post by robgul »

Simon L6 wrote:there's also a £25 one-off admin fee

Yebbut - that's one off ... it makes no real/significant difference ... say : 50 members = £1.50 per member for year 1, £1 a year thereafter - and IIRC the £50 rate (£75 year 1) allows up to 250 members - so it's really just a micturate in the ocean.

Rob
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

you're right. I was being over-picky

S
robgul

Post by robgul »

robgul wrote:
Simon L6 wrote:there's also a £25 one-off admin fee

Yebbut - that's one off ... it makes no real/significant difference ... say : 50 members = £1.50 per member for year 1, £1 a year thereafter - and IIRC the £50 rate (£75 year 1) allows up to 250 members - so it's really just a micturate in the ocean.

Rob

Hmm, there's obviously some sort of Big Brother sitting behind the forum the description of the item in the ocean was typed as another word in my original post .... perhaps they're just taking the micturate :shock:

Rob