Report on the progress of CTC charity application 2012 Jan 6

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
patricktaylor

Re: Report on the progress of CTC charity application 2012 J

Post by patricktaylor »

Vorpal wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:CTC website will 

be available to members in May

I'll believe it when I see it.

You'll need to be a member!

LOL
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Philip Benstead wrote:CTC website will be available to members in May

Will non members not be able to access it then? That seems a bit short-sighted. :?
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, non-members will be able to get at most of it. I'm led to believe that bits like the maps will be members only (as they currently are).

The original plan was that a number of members would have private access it first to make sure that it worked OK with real users. Once it had passed this test it would be opened up to all. Perhaps this is why PB said "open to members"?

I spoke to someone t'other day who'd seen it running. So it does exist, although I believe that it needs more work.

<tries hard not to point out the pointlessness of saying "be available to members in May " if it's not qualified with a year> :twisted:
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Si wrote:Yep, non-members will be able to get at most of it. I'm led to believe that bits like the maps will be members only (as they currently are).

The original plan was that a number of members would have private access it first to make sure that it worked OK with real users. Once it had passed this test it would be opened up to all. Perhaps this is why PB said "open to members"?

I spoke to someone t'other day who'd seen it running. So it does exist, although I believe that it needs more work.

<tries hard not to point out the pointlessness of saying "be available to members in May " if it's not qualified with a year> :twisted:

Yes, PB was right when he originally said it would be ready in May. I'm pretty certain that was May 2010 though!
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

WHAT DO WE THINK OF THIS

CTC Councillor’s Update
Stephen Coe & Julian James
South West Region

Hello Everyone

CHARITY STATUS

We are now a unified charity in Scotland. Sadly, the situation in England and Wales is not so clear cut. Our first application to the Charity Commissioners of England and Wales was not treated sympathetically. Since then, they have had a change of heart about our work and have been most positive in advising us of some modest changes to our objects to achieve charitable status. Consequently one final vote is needed to approve these modest changes – and access all that vital gift aid income!

CHARITY VOTE

As before, under company law, we have to have a 75% majority at the AGM in May so, again, we need all your votes to attain that majority. This is an enabling measure which means we can carry through the will of the membership as it was expressed at the AGM in 2011.

Barry Flood writes fully on this in April’s Cycle magazine. You don’t need to attend the meeting but only to fill in the proxy cards with the magazine and return by the deadline date – Thursday 10th May 2012 in the envelope provided. Just maybe you’ll win a prize as well!

YOUR FINAL, FINAL ANSWER

CTC is registered as a charity in Scotland. For charity registration in England and Wales, we need one more vote. CTC Councillor Barry Flood explains why

Not him again talking about that charity thing! This time last year, I told you how important it was that you vote in favour of the changes to our Articles so that CTC could be registered as a charity. I even wrote ‘One more “Yes” vote will finish the job.’ I was wrong.

Even though you voted last year by an 88% majority to make the necessary changes – and I for one thought I could relax – we reckoned without the Charity Commission for England and Wales
(CCEW).

The Scottish Charity Commission granted us charitable status straight away but CCEW had other ideas. They refused our application, not because they questioned that our work in
promoting cycling for everyone was a pubic benefit, but because we had not made our Articles clear enough. A technical point, but sufficient to temporarily derail the process.

Now the good news. This time round Mark Edwards of CCEW has gone out of his way to advise us of the modest further changes they require. Once these are done, he indicates that charity registration will follow. You can see an extract from Mark’s advice on this page. His email of 7 March 2012 puts the matter beyond doubt. We had no
such assurance this time last year So it’s voting time again. We need you to vote one more time on the changes required set out in Special Resolution Motion 1, the first motion on the proxy voting form enclosed with this month’s Cycle. Just like last time, company law requires that we have at least a 75% majority in favour, which is
why we need every person who voted last year to vote again to conclude this matter once and for all.
News charity

Time is running out so this is our final, final plea to get the vote out for approval of the change of status. All the necessary papers were enclosed with your latest copy of copy of Cycle magazine

Council is unanimous in advocating this change and as your council members we fully support this policy and urge all members in the South West Region to vote accordingly. Alternatively give your proxy vote to Chair of Council.

We need you to post your vote to reach Electoral Reform Services by Thursday 10th May 2012 or attend the AGM of your club. If you have any questions please contact us by phone or email as shown below and we’ll do our best to answer them.

Julian James
Tel: 01202682599
Email: Julian.james@ctc.org.uk

Stephen Coe
Tel: 01823-253835
Email: stephen.coe@ctc.org.uk

30 April 2012

If you wish not to unsubscribe to CTC Councillors’ updates please email membership@ctc.org.uk.

CTC Charitable Trust, CTC's charity arm, works to promote cycling by raising public and political awareness of its health, social and environmental benefits, and by working with all communities to help realise those benefits.

To find out more, to join or support CTC visit www.ctc.org.uk, or phone 0844 736 8451.

Cyclists' Touring Club, a company limited by guarantee, registered in England number 25185.

CTC Charitable Trust, a company limited by guarantee, registered in England number 5125969. Registered as a charity in England and Wales number 1104324 and in Scotland number SCO38626

Registered office: Parklands, Railton Road, Guildford, GU2 9JX

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by CTC. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk
gaz

Post by gaz »

It appears that we are now a Charity in England and Wales...CTC newspage.
Charity Commission.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

I notice that they can't help spinning it and suggesting that "The 68,000 members of the organisation overwhelmingly supported CTC Council’s proposal to become a charitable organisation." That simply isn't true.

Looks like the new Chief Exec is following in the footsteps of the former Chief Exec...
Last edited by Regulator on 13 Jun 2012, 12:39am, edited 1 time in total.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Regulator wrote:I notice that they can't help spinning it and suggesting that "The 68,000 members of the organisation overwhelmingly supported CTC Council’s proposal to become a charitable organisation." That simply isn't true.

Might not be true but they're just following the time honoured fashion of the Victor writing the history as they see it, while you sit and weep.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.