Thorn Audax - Classic 51cm c-t 26"

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
marvinandroid

Thorn Audax - Classic 51cm c-t 26"

Postby marvinandroid » 11 Oct 2018, 11:34am

HI

Time for a clear out due to house move. This is my rarely used and very rare Thorn Audax 26", details:

Frame/fork - Somerset built, 531. Seat tube 51 c-t, top tube 52.5 c-c. Black. Good clearances for 25c+ tyres.
Wheels - 26" (559) with ultegra front and shimano 7 spd rear. Both on Sun CR17 rims. Gatorskin front Rimbo rear.
Brakes: 105
Chainset: tiagra triple, 165mm cranks
Brifters: Sora 7 spd
Gears: deore rear, tiagra front
Stem/Bars - 3ttt with morphe bars.
No pedals/seat post or saddle.

It's in good condition with only the odd paint chip on the frame. I'm 5' 6" and wanted the 26" wheel version (available at the time) because the fit was nigh on perfect without steep seat angles. Plus relatively low centre of gravity. I've not used the bike at all in the last 5 years so it's time for it to be properly used by a new owner.

I'm based in West Yorks, between Leeds, Bradford, Halifax and pick up only please. Viewers welcome.

Hard to price but £450 seems sensible.

Thanks
Image Attachments
IMG_06592.jpg

Ronl

Re: Thorn Audax - Classic 51cm c-t 26"

Postby Ronl » 17 Oct 2018, 2:36pm

Hello Marvin Android,
Can you advise the weight of the bike, and if the rear drop outs would take a10 speed cassette.ie do they expand to 135mm.

I currently have a Thorn xtc which I have toured many miles on over the last 15 years with a complete re-build in 2013. Given the changes made prop stand front & rear carriers and hub dynamo, it is now a tad heavy for audax, hence my interest. I am of similar height to yourself. (Photo of my Thorn xtc attached for info, great bikes.)

Look forward to hearing from you. Ron.
Image Attachments
DF16370E-B401-4DF0-B7C7-2A42EAEA71D4.jpeg
My Thorn xtc for info.

marvinandroid

Re: Thorn Audax - Classic 51cm c-t 26"

Postby marvinandroid » 17 Oct 2018, 2:55pm

Hi Ron

The spacing is for 135mm and that is what's in there now. I only used 7spd because I had some new robust wheels and sora shifters.

Weight in current state is about 24lbs.

One thing to note is that it's a 1in threaded headset (stronglight A9) - again this wasn't a problem at the time because I used a Nitto Technomatic stem (sold some time ago) for the height - just seen your stack.

Looks like a more slender brother to your XTC!

Tony