Salsa Vaya 57cm (re-avertised due to complete timewaster)

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
reohn2

Salsa Vaya 57cm (re-avertised due to complete timewaster)

Postby reohn2 » 10 Aug 2017, 11:08am

As per title
Spec is:-
Salsa Classico CroMo double butted frame.
size is Salsa 57cm frame details here:- http://salsacycles.com/culture/vaya_frame_geometry
Relaxed geometry for all day everyday riding laden or not.
Would suit someone 5ft 10in to 6ft 2in approx
Headset is blue Cane creak Orbit XL2
Wheels:- handbuilt Deore hubs Sapim DB spokes with Sapim strong on driveside rear,DRC double eyeleted ST19 rims,Choice of 35mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers,or 35mm Panaracer Ribmos both have very little wear.
Brakes BB7 road,160mm rotors,operated by Tektro RL340 levers and Tektro cross top levers
Drivetrain,Deore 9sp rear mech,Sora front,custom 14-32 8sp cassette,Sram 971 chain.All operated by d/tube levers fitted to Kelly take Off brackets,or I can swap them for 9sp Ultegra STI's and a 9sp cassette for an extra £30.
Chainset is S/light Impact with 26/34/46t rings,BB is Shimano UN55.
Seatpost is a Thorn layback,and saddle is a Charge Scoop with blue underside/base to match the rest of the bike and black top.
H/bars FSA Vero 42cm wrapped with Bontrager BarGel tape,stem FSA 11cm but I have longer 12 cm or shorter 10cm to suit
SKS Longboard M/guards fitted.
2 blue Elite Canabal resin bottle cages to match.
The Vaya for those in the know needs no introduction,but if you don't it's an all-road gravel or tarmac touring and all day bike of the highest quality,this one has seen less than 2k miles.
I built it up from a new frameset with loving care,it is A1 in all respects,no scratches,dings or marks,it is almost as new,in fact better than a new one as the spec is waayyy above a stock Vaya from Salsa.
A sad parting of a beautiful machine which rides equally a beautiful as it looks and has all the brazeons for front and rear racks,failing health forces sale.
Asking £800 ONO and including STI's if required
Go to this page for photos(let me know if you can't see them):- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/104 ... 5HNPk5ZnOs

PLEASE NOTE:- the bike is for collection only,but I'm prepared to meet up within 100mile radius for a shared fuel fee
Last edited by reohn2 on 12 Sep 2017, 11:08am, edited 3 times in total.
---------------------------------------
My heart starts to press on my bulletproof vest,
and my highs turn out to be lows,
GImme my guitar,I'm gonna go far,
I'm playin' in a Rock n Roll band......

JJ Cale

albal1

Re: Salsa Vaya 57cm (re-avertised due to complete timewaster)

Postby albal1 » 10 Aug 2017, 4:19pm

Hi, where is the bike? Please

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Aug 2017, 6:14pm

Near Warringtion,J23 M6,5minutes from Haydock Park racecourse,but I'm willing to travel approx 30miles to meet up.

JJ Cale

PH

Postby PH » 11 Aug 2017, 10:29am

This is a free bump, it looks too good a bike to be falling off the page. If it was my size, I wanted another bike and I had any spare money, I'd be very interested...
Sorry to hear you had your time wasted, such a shame when that happens, buying/selling a bike should be a simple process.

DeepdalePete

Postby DeepdalePete » 11 Aug 2017, 4:59pm

Some one on another forum is looking for one of these. I've pointed him in your direction. I hope it wasn't your timewaster :lol:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 11 Aug 2017, 5:06pm

DeepdalePete wrote:Some one on another forum is looking for one of these. I've pointed him in your direction. I hope it wasn't your timewaster :lol:

Me too,but thanks anyway.

JJ Cale

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Aug 2017, 5:08pm

DeepdalePete wrote:Some one on another forum is looking for one of these. I've pointed him in your direction. I hope it wasn't your timewaster :lol:

I sort of seconded you - said buyer beware, dodgy character, the wheels are bound to fall off the bike, or something helpful like that :wink:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 11 Aug 2017, 6:44pm

Im going to take the unusual step to explain the story as to why my bike is up for sale again and the story behind it:-

I sold the bike to a forum member G Meredith,on the 29 March and agreed to box up the bike and post it to him if he'd pay and arrange carriage to which he agreed.
On receipt of the bike he complained both hubs were shot and sent me a photo of one of the front hub cones which was pitted,I asked about the rear which he claimed was also unserviceable.
I apologised and told him I was unaware of the faults he'd found.
No more photos forthcoming I took his word for it and trying to be fair offered him £40 for new hubs,he claimed it wouldn't cover the £60 per wheel rebuilding costs.
I informed him that wheel building at my two LBS's was £25 per wheel and increased my offer to £70.
He rejected the offer and claimed I should supply him with a pair of new handbuilt wheels from Spa Cycles at a cost to me of £163+postage,of course I refused and I offered him a refund if he'd box up the bike I'd arrange and pay for carriage.
He agreed only if I refunded him first.
I of course refused.
He then informed me he was taking me to court to claim the refund I'd already offered him plus £60 court costs.
I should mention at this point that Mrs R2 suffers from Parkinson's disease and one of the symptoms is anxiety.I was waiting to go in hospital for a hip replacement initially scheduled for the 18 April,but just before going in the operation was deferred to 16 May,and with all of this going on Mrs R2 was in a state.
We'd never experienced anything like this before,but I wanted to fight the case and was told by CAB and free advice from a solicitor I'd win.
Mrs R2 was suffering quite badly from the stress of it all,so through a precourt mediation agreement to pay him £850+£60 + carriage cost for him to box up the bike and for the payment to be made after I received the bike.
On receipt of the bike on the 17 July(3 1/2months after all this began!) I stripped down both hubs and found the rear hub to have no faults whatsoever or any signs of wear,and the front hub had one cone pitted and it's matching race had some slight marks on it.
I bought a new matching hub (Deore M525),removed axle cones and races fitted them into the front hub,so it now had completelty new in internals,total cost £15 for the new hub and 45minutes work.
To say I'm seething doesn't begin to describe my feelings about this matter and I'm currently considering a counter claim.
So there you have it the full story as to why the bike is up for sale again

JJ Cale

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 11 Aug 2017, 7:31pm

I have always liked this bike. Free bump.

albal1

Postby albal1 » 12 Aug 2017, 10:11am

Pm sent

fast but dim

Postby fast but dim » 13 Aug 2017, 3:08pm

Absolutely shocking Reohn2.

I've had a bike off you...a thorn audax, and a mate has had a sardar from you too.

Both bikes were built with an almost pathological attention to detail ;)

The biggest bike snob I know ( ex lbs mechanic) had a look over my Thorn, and was impressed. He only ever knocks DIY bike builds.

Good luck with the sale.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 13 Aug 2017, 7:02pm

FBD
No need to bring my medical expertise into this :wink:

JJ Cale

horizon

Postby horizon » 13 Aug 2017, 11:17pm

The point about second hand bikes having relatively low prices is to insure the buyer against unseen faults. The buyer builds in a margin just in case and the seller takes a hit in order to insure himself from claims further down the line. It works well for both buyer and seller: the seller knows the goods are off his hands and the buyer knows he has a bit in reserve if a fault shows up. I know I'm stating the obvious but the buyer in this case clearly didn't understand this.
Bikes belong on trains.

willcee

Postby willcee » 14 Aug 2017, 12:02am

Interesting and disturbing tale...from time to time i sell some bikes usually all my own or well known to me, ones i have serviced, fettled etc etc, my background would be motor trade, top drawer kit, and latterly on the legal side. I appreciate you were being decent, like 99% of this forums users, and are well respected herein.. I would have explained very clearly that this was a sale by private treaty, so unless you wish to take a legal case over 80 odd quid with all the ensuing costs on you.. depart forthwith, perhaps also a visit to his address with a couple of buds to examine the faults would have the buyer more amenable from my own experience..I fully appreciate your domestic situation.. its not far removed from my own..but I have great friends.. I think all of us on here would try our best to present what we sell on here as we would wish to buy ourselves... I have however noticed of recent times so many of the new users land on this site hoping to get rid of whatever kit they no longer want or need and we no longer have a watchdog or if I'm misinformed a visible deterrent for questionable tackle.. there are many forums where you won't get listing stuff until they have satisfied themselves that it's a kosher forum user..No disrespect meant to anyone who is a new or come lately user just my inbuilt wisdom from hard earned experience in the sales of goods issues.. will

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 14 Aug 2017, 10:25am

Horizon
The buyer's complaint to me was that I'd advertised the bike as A1 perfect condition,which I honestly thought it to be,on him finding fault I offered compensation,which TBH thought was generous in the circumstances.but it was refused.
The alarm bells begun to ring when he asked for a new pair of handbuilt wheels and refused to return the bike(at my expence)for a refund,and where confirmed when I eventually received the bike back to find the rear hub without fault and the front hub needing only rebuilding with new internals,a job costing £15 and less than an hour's work.
We live and learn......

Willcee and the many other forum members thank you for you support in this matter.

To any potential buyer,rest assured this bike is in A1 perfect order should you wish to buy you won't be disappointed.

JJ Cale

Return to “For Sale - Complete bikes ONLY - state FRAME SIZE in title”