Salsa Vaya 57cm (re-avertised due to complete timewaster)

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
hjd10

Re: Salsa Vaya 57cm (re-avertised due to complete timewaster)

Postby hjd10 » 14 Aug 2017, 8:37pm

horizon wrote:The point about second hand bikes having relatively low prices is to insure the buyer against unseen faults. The buyer builds in a margin just in case and the seller takes a hit in order to insure himself from claims further down the line. It works well for both buyer and seller: the seller knows the goods are off his hands and the buyer knows he has a bit in reserve if a fault shows up. I know I'm stating the obvious but the buyer in this case clearly didn't understand this.

Absolutely agree, sad to see this happening on the forum. You can't please everyone and some people try to take advantage of the good guys. :(

Hope that you sell the bike soon......

Regards,

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Aug 2017, 9:19pm

It is, sadly, increasingly prevalent.

DeepdalePete

Postby DeepdalePete » 19 Aug 2017, 11:14pm

How this reminds me of a Thorn I sold to a guy in Ireland. Came up with exactly the same complaint about pitted cones and he wanted me to pay for a new set of hubs and for the wheels to be rebuilt with the said new hubs.

I point blank refused his request. I had been for a twenty mile ride the day before I stripped it down for boxing and my main gripe was the saddle.
The bike was smooth, trouble free and was 7 years old! The adage is if you're buying a seven year old bike at a third of the cost of when it was new you may have to put your hand in your pocket to get it to your personal level of performance and satisfaction.

I seriously believe that some people just try it on. Most problems are minor and surmountable but they get taken in by a n others opinion.

You have my sympathy. It's only happened the once to me but it left a bitter taste.

yostumpy

Postby yostumpy » 20 Aug 2017, 1:08pm

I can honestly say that if I needed another bike like this (I have a Ridgeback World panaorama deluxe), AND I was probably a good 6-8 inches shorter, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this.They are very good bikes,but when you look at this one, ...well you can see it is meticulously clean, and well setup. Just its cleanliness and appearance would be enough to persuade me. It reminds me of a story I heard from a chap ..ooooooooo.....25 years ago...

I once owed a large motorcaravan, it was a converted Mercedes 608D , and it was a German conversion, excellent but the body was tired and a wee bit rough, as most of them were by this stage in their life. I went to a motorcaravan show, and got chatting to a chap who also had one. Apparantly he had been looking for ages for a GOOD one, and he saw an advert in the paper, not too far from where he lived, it sounded right, price was right, so he went to see it. He arrived at the house, but it was nowhere to be seen. Hmmm! he thought. Then a man came out of the front door, and explained the van was kept 'round the back, and he would have to go through the house, Hmmmm! he thought. So off he went, he had taken prob no more than 10 steps inside this chaps house, when he said to the owner, ''I'll buy it!'' without even seeing it. He wasn't dissapointed.
You see, the mans house was so impeccably clean , well maintained, with no clutter etc, that he deemed the van to be the same. ....It was. Even the paint had been removed from the radiator, an the brass polished to perfection.

So I think this bike would be in the same category. Just my 2d worth. GLWS :wink:

fast but dim

Postby fast but dim » 21 Aug 2017, 9:28am

^^^ funnily enough the same thing happened when I went to buy my thorn audax off this forum.
I turned up at the house, and as soon as I saw the seller's bike shed I knew I'd be buying the bike!

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 21 Aug 2017, 9:34am

I reckon "complete timewaster" is a generous description of "G Meredith". I'd have used a far more robust term - and opted for a far more robust response. You are clearly a peaceful chap. I keep looking at this ad, but I get no taller! GLWS.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Sep 2017, 1:49pm

Sunday bump with a revised price! :)
---------------------------------------
My heart starts to press on my bulletproof vest,
and my highs turn out to be lows,
GImme my guitar,I'm gonna go far,
I'm playin' in a Rock n Roll band......

JJ Cale

Roadster

Postby Roadster » 10 Sep 2017, 2:48pm

Now even more of a snip!

mmcnay

Postby mmcnay » 11 Sep 2017, 9:08am

Hello,
Your bike looks lovely and I would like to discuss it with you, but as I am a new member, I cannot message you. Could you pm me an email address, or phone number and I will give you a call?
Cheers,
Mark

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 11 Sep 2017, 3:07pm

mmcnay wrote:Hello,
Your bike looks lovely and I would like to discuss it with you, but as I am a new member, I cannot message you. Could you pm me an email address, or phone number and I will give you a call?
Cheers,
Mark

YHPM

JJ Cale

Friendly Íslander

Postby Friendly Íslander » 10 Oct 2017, 11:54am

Hi reohn2. Firstly, I was sorry to read about your experience regarding the sale of your Salsa Vaya, completely out of order seems like an understatement. Secondly, I have just registered myself on this forum site today as I wanted to discuss some points with you about the said bicycle but apparently cannot message you! I'm still scratching my head over that one. I'm assuming that the bike is still for sale. So if you could pm me with a way for us to communicate I would be grateful. Kind regards.
Cheers,
Friendly Íslander

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Oct 2017, 8:18pm

Friendly Íslander wrote:Hi reohn2. Firstly, I was sorry to read about your experience regarding the sale of your Salsa Vaya, completely out of order seems like an understatement. Secondly, I have just registered myself on this forum site today as I wanted to discuss some points with you about the said bicycle but apparently cannot message you! I'm still scratching my head over that one. I'm assuming that the bike is still for sale. So if you could pm me with a way for us to communicate I would be grateful. Kind regards.
Cheers,
Friendly Íslander

YHPM

JJ Cale

Return to “For Sale - Complete bikes ONLY - state FRAME SIZE in title”