SOLD Thorn Audax Small

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
Majorbloodnok
Posts: 57
Joined: 29 May 2010, 7:58pm
Location: Narfuk ere innit

SOLD Thorn Audax Small

Postby Majorbloodnok » 28 Jan 2019, 9:47pm

It's with a heavy heart that I put my beloved Thorn up for sale.

The components are a mixed bag but campagnolo other than the brake calipers.

Brooks swift ti saddle
Brooks mudflap
Tortec Cosmo rack (silly money new)
Thomson seatpost

Stunning condition but could do with a change of bar tape (I never got around to fitting Brooks leather as planned)

Size small (I'm 5' 7")

I'm thinking around £600 ono

https://flic.kr/p/23PBwt6

I'll leave the Trail Blazer on for 600!

Thanks
Last edited by Majorbloodnok on 2 Feb 2019, 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redgreenandblack
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 9:05am

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Redgreenandblack » 29 Jan 2019, 9:27am

Hello, can you tell me if shipping the bike via courier is an option or is it for collection in person only?

Thank you.

Majorbloodnok
Posts: 57
Joined: 29 May 2010, 7:58pm
Location: Narfuk ere innit

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Majorbloodnok » 29 Jan 2019, 8:48pm

Redgreenandblack wrote:Hello, can you tell me if shipping the bike via courier is an option or is it for collection in person only?

Thank you.


I'd rather collection or meet somewhere....I travel a lot so may be in your area.

1982john
Posts: 318
Joined: 3 Nov 2012, 9:29pm
Contact:

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby 1982john » 29 Jan 2019, 9:17pm

Majorbloodnok wrote:It's with a heavy heart that I put my beloved Thorn up for sale.

The components are a mixed bag but campagnolo other than the brake calipers.

Brooks swift ti saddle
Brooks mudflap
Tortec Cosmo rack (silly money new)
Thomson seatpost

Stunning condition but could do with a change of bar tape (I never got around to fitting Brooks leather as planned)

Thanks


Hi, do you think it would fit someone 5ft 5?

also what combi is the chainset and cassette?
thx

Majorbloodnok
Posts: 57
Joined: 29 May 2010, 7:58pm
Location: Narfuk ere innit

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Majorbloodnok » 29 Jan 2019, 9:34pm

1982john wrote:
Majorbloodnok wrote:It's with a heavy heart that I put my beloved Thorn up for sale.

The components are a mixed bag but campagnolo other than the brake calipers.

Brooks swift ti saddle
Brooks mudflap
Tortec Cosmo rack (silly money new)
Thomson seatpost

Stunning condition but could do with a change of bar tape (I never got around to fitting Brooks leather as planned)

Thanks


Hi, do you think it would fit someone 5ft 5?

also what combi is the chainset and cassette?
thx



Thorn sizing is a little unusual, generally they have a longer top tube, which suits my reach, but I have short legs (29"). I'm 5'7" as a guide and the bike pictured is setup for me.

No idea on cassette and chainset! Sorry. It's a non compact but I'm not sure on the actual size. I can find out.

Bowedw
Posts: 255
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 10:26pm

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Bowedw » 30 Jan 2019, 8:23am

Just my opinion but with a straight seat post the seat could go down to a very low level and a shorter handlebar stem should cure any over reaching.
The stem could be flipped down to lower the bars if that's what would suit some one who has their bars low. Perhaps a measurement of your current bike seat height plus a seatpost to handlebar distance, then ask the sellers opinion if that would work may be the way forward to ascertain if the bike fits.
I offer this opinion as it's a route I have had to investigate when considering a bike.

Redgreenandblack
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 9:05am

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Redgreenandblack » 30 Jan 2019, 11:56am

Thanks, it would be courier only for me as I'm in Northern Ireland unfortunately. Understand it's a lot of hassle to ship. Good luck with the sale.

Ronl
Posts: 15
Joined: 8 Aug 2012, 9:52pm

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Ronl » 30 Jan 2019, 9:58pm

Hello, I’m very interested and have a Thorn XTC. How far North do you travel ? We are in Mid East Scotland. Or how far North would you be prepared to travel ?

Majorbloodnok
Posts: 57
Joined: 29 May 2010, 7:58pm
Location: Narfuk ere innit

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Majorbloodnok » 30 Jan 2019, 10:02pm

Bowedw wrote:Just my opinion but with a straight seat post the seat could go down to a very low level and a shorter handlebar stem should cure any over reaching.
The stem could be flipped down to lower the bars if that's what would suit some one who has their bars low. Perhaps a measurement of your current bike seat height plus a seatpost to handlebar distance, then ask the sellers opinion if that would work may be the way forward to ascertain if the bike fits.
I offer this opinion as it's a route I have had to investigate when considering a bike.


Thank you

Majorbloodnok
Posts: 57
Joined: 29 May 2010, 7:58pm
Location: Narfuk ere innit

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Majorbloodnok » 30 Jan 2019, 10:04pm

Ronl wrote:Hello, I’m very interested and have a Thorn XTC. How far North do you travel ? We are in Mid East Scotland. Or how far North would you be prepared to travel ?


Unfortunately Newcastle is as far North generally.

Majorbloodnok
Posts: 57
Joined: 29 May 2010, 7:58pm
Location: Narfuk ere innit

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Majorbloodnok » 30 Jan 2019, 10:32pm

1982john wrote:
Thanks


also what combi is the chainset and cassette?
thx[/quote]


Campagnolo Centaur (powertorque) chainset, 170 mm arms

50 x 34 rings

Still not sure on cassette

Ronl
Posts: 15
Joined: 8 Aug 2012, 9:52pm

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Ronl » 30 Jan 2019, 10:38pm

Thanks, I’ll think this over. Is the frameset 725 ?

Majorbloodnok
Posts: 57
Joined: 29 May 2010, 7:58pm
Location: Narfuk ere innit

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby Majorbloodnok » 30 Jan 2019, 10:52pm

Ronl wrote:Thanks, I’ll think this over. Is the frameset 725 ?



858...loads of info on the Thorn website - albeit it's the worst looking site since the early 90s :D

pwa
Posts: 8781
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Thorn Audax Small

Postby pwa » 1 Feb 2019, 11:48am

Majorbloodnok wrote:
Ronl wrote:Thanks, I’ll think this over. Is the frameset 725 ?



858...loads of info on the Thorn website - albeit it's the worst looking site since the early 90s :D

If I remember rightly, Thorn's 858 is basically the same material as 725, but tube dimensions may be different to what is available in 725. If that helps.

Majorbloodnok
Posts: 57
Joined: 29 May 2010, 7:58pm
Location: Narfuk ere innit

Re: SOLD Thorn Audax Small

Postby Majorbloodnok » 2 Feb 2019, 10:44pm

Thanks everyone for your interest