55cm Argos 653 road bike.

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
Vetus Ossa

55cm Argos 653 road bike.

Postby Vetus Ossa » 19 Jul 2019, 7:39pm

I am offering for sale my 55cm Argos road bike.
It was custom built for me in 1989, I am 5’8” with shortish legs and think it would fit most of a similar height.
I had it re-painted at Argos in merckx blue a couple of years ago and owing to poor health not ridden since being painted. The frame is immaculate, without a mark on it. No rust, dents or anything undesirable.
The components are in excellent condition as can be seen from the pictures, but am happy to answer any questions or post more pictures if needed. I won’t describe the fittings as I think most here will be able to see for themselves.
The bike has shamefully not been ridden much in its lifetime, and has been very well maintained and treated, at one time I had a lot of bikes to choose what I rode.
Should anyone be interested please PM with offers or questions.
Pickup from Plymouth or I can reluctantly post.

djnotts

Re: 55cm Argos 653 road bike.

Postby djnotts » 20 Jul 2019, 7:19am

Very nice! FWIW I think even just a guide price would help - such a small market that difficult to get a feel for "value". GLWS.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 20 Jul 2019, 7:46am

I would think the top side of 4 figures for this piece of jewellery .... or just mount it on the living room wall .... its a work of cycling art.
The Road Goes On Forever

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 20 Jul 2019, 7:57am

While not good form to comment on "price" (and I wouldn't if one set on OP), Ebay completed listings do not support such an estimate.

Old cannondale

Postby Old cannondale » 20 Jul 2019, 8:20am

What a lovely machine. It looks the right size for my wife, what sort of offer are you looking for?
Thanks.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 20 Jul 2019, 9:09am

djnotts wrote:While not good form to comment on "price" (and I wouldn't if one set on OP), Ebay completed listings do not support such an estimate.

Which is why one does not sell on ebay .. only buy ...
The Road Goes On Forever

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 20 Jul 2019, 9:16am

Well ... you can drape some Shimano 105 over a piece of mass produced Chinese plastic .... but some stickers on it and charge over £2k .... and they seem to fly out the door ...
So, craftsmanship ..... what price craftsmanship .....
I have heard it said that things are only worth what someone is willing to pay .... which is why so many people lose out when selling on ebay.
Currently have a bike on ebay ... the price i require is clear to all and if i don't get it i won't sell it ....

This ARGOS bike is beautiful .... don't give it away ...
The Road Goes On Forever

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 20 Jul 2019, 9:26am

Thank you for the above comments. It is a lovely bike and I only wish I could ride it myself.
Apologies for not adding a price, I didn’t know it was a requirement.
As you will be aware, I spent a lot of money on this bike and I don’t expect to recoup it all.
I would accept £1000, and will not be lowering the price if there are no offers at that price.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 20 Jul 2019, 9:29am

I'd be keeping that, even if simply as jewellery :?

Mind you, if I did, I'd be losing the big-ass pump :D

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 20 Jul 2019, 9:37am

My plan was to use this as a day ride winter bike, but to be honest it looks much nicer without the mudguards fitted.

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 21 Jul 2019, 2:44pm

I had a similar bike second hand, lovely but I couldn't get on with the 23mm tyre max.
I think yours is a bit nicer!
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 21 Jul 2019, 6:07pm

"I have heard it said that things are only worth what someone is willing to pay .... which is why so many people lose out when selling on ebay."

I don't understand how one loses out by selling an item that one no longer wants for what it is worth! Nor how one can have so much money that one would rather keep such an item for say £500 when one has an obviously false belief that it "should be worth more" when by definition it simply ISN'T.

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 21 Jul 2019, 11:33pm

djnotts wrote:I don't understand how one loses out by selling an item that one no longer wants for what it is worth! Nor how one can have so much money that one would rather keep such an item for say £500 when one has an obviously false belief that it "should be worth more" when by definition it simply ISN'T.

I have a bike that I won't put on eBay because it's worth £300 to me - I will pretty much never ride it but it has sentimental value. So I would rather keep it than sell it for £150.
A different example would be the bike I am selling on this forum - if I sell it for less than £100 I would have been better off keeping it for the wheels and selling just the frame. (Like most bikes would be better off selling in parts).
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 22 Jul 2019, 3:47pm

Just for the record not everyone thinks I am asking too much.
When advertised on ebay a while ago I had two offers of £1000 and that was when advertised for £1300 ono..
Now I will accept £1000 as I can no longer justify just admiring it, and should probably have accepted one of the offers then.
I would rather sell it to someone here but if no one is interested I will put it back on ebay again.
It's not a well used bike, and the frame is as good as when it was new, better in my opinion as I have some changes made at Argos, and Argos frames are not cheap are they.

hamish

Postby hamish » 23 Jul 2019, 12:03am

£1000 isn't too much for that bike in my opinion at least. If someone wants a bike of that size, quality and style then they will happily pay £1000. It may or may not take a while to find that person but when they turn up they will buy it and feel happy that they are getting a quality bike for under the price of a bare frame. If I wanted a bike like that and it fitted me I'd buy it because it's a fair price.

If you advertise it for less it may sell more quickly to some who doesn't necessarily want that bike but will buy it because the know a bargain when they see it. For example. I don't need another set of ortlieb fron panniers. I have 4 pairs already. If I saw a pair in good nick for the bargain price of £30 I'd still buy them... Just in case. I wouldn't buy them at a still fair price of say £50. I do need a pair of rear panniers and know exactly which ones I want. If I see them at a fair price above a bargain price I will buy them.

It's a bit like selling a house I guess. You set a fair price and wait until the right buyer turns up.