55cm Argos 653 road bike.

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
Vetus Ossa

Re: 55cm Argos 653 road bike.

Postby Vetus Ossa » 23 Jul 2019, 11:09am

Thank you Hamish, you express my thoughts and point of view far better than I am capable of doing.

BrightonRock

Postby BrightonRock » 23 Jul 2019, 7:39pm

Steel bikes are a notoriously hard sell, unless it's something exotic like a vintage Colnago or a Ti Raleigh in team colors. I recently had a sobering experience trying to sell a Bob Jackson Reynolds 853 with full Dura Ace group, and was taken aback to find its final value at £450.

The Argos, nice as it is its unlikely to ever better that. In a world of ubiquitous carbon and ever decreasing purchase prices of the same, old steel bikes like this suffer, unless, as stated above they are something special, which unfortunately this bike, nice as it is, is not.

Dantastic

Postby Dantastic » 26 Jul 2019, 3:31am

I think this is a particularly fine example of a quality handmade bike.

From experience, I find that generally speaking, people on this forum expect to pay less than they would on a bidding site such as eBay.
I think it's a toss up between wanting the best price, or wanting it to go to someone who will likely cherish it. One does not necessarily guarantee the other.

I recall refusing to sell someone a lovely late 80's Italian road bike in vgc because they said they didn't like the colour and were going to have it powder coated. I'd rather have taken less for it and known someone was going to look after it.

Personally I think that £1K is right at the top of the scale though. £800 would be more realistic, but as someone has already pointed out, it's wroth what someone is willing to pay for it

I reckon it's a good idea to put a guide price on things when selling as it avoids confusion, frustration and sometimes cause offence (to the seller when offered a low price)

Only my opinion. Good luck with the sale - it's a lovely bike that deserves a lovely home :)

Ned

Postby Ned » 27 Jul 2019, 4:44pm

Just to say, I ride an Argos 531C bike with Campy groupset which I bought second hand, in immaculate condition, about 4 years ago for £400. I think I got a bargain. Argos make beautiful bikes: it is a real shame that so few these days appreciate a hand-made steel frame. It is not just that "steel is real". It is also about supporting craftsmen and women who can make a bicycle frame to measure, and using materials that are recyclable. Where do people think all the discarded carbon frames are going to end up? Pros and elite racers will of course need the weight and performance benefits of carbon, but how about the average rider? There was a big Sportive (Mendip) on in my neck of the woods today. I didn't see anyone else riding steel, although I doubt the majority would have really suffered performance deficit if they had. I hope you find a good home for your Argos: it deserves to be ridden with a big smile on someone's face!

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 31 Jul 2019, 11:50am

As my bike has had 2061 viewings, I guess there must be some interest.
Perhaps I am asking too much? Would anyone like to make a sensible offer.