EBAY: £700 1941 20" frame Claud Butler Ultra-short wheelbase tandem

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
rscrase

EBAY: £700 1941 20" frame Claud Butler Ultra-short wheelbase tandem

Postby rscrase » 28 Jul 2020, 12:41pm

1941 Claud Butler Ultra-short wheelbase tandem 20inch frame 26 inch wheels. The forks were made in 1940. Condition is seller refurbished. I cycled this bike back from Cheltenham last spring. Since then it has been stripped to the frame and professionally resprayed by Bob Jackson (Leeds). I've rebuilt the bike using the original parts where possible, stripping and oiling cables before re-building them and using new bearings in the frame. I've also added new old stock oiling nipples. The bike is fitted with Resilion brakes which were considered the best rim brakes from their invention @ 1930 to around 1960. I've retained the original front brake blocks but replaced the rear blocks by sliding in Shimano S70C (severe) blocks into the original shoes. The front wheel is useable but needs a tune and the bearings replacing. The rear wheel has a 1955 4 speed sturmey archer hub and is running smoothly. These bikes were originally sold with the option of hub or derailleur gears. What attracted me to this bike is the curved frame below the rear seat post and the fact this type of bike was used to win tandem races in the Olympics in the 1930's and later. I think it is rather lovely. I've ridden it with my 13 year old son. We're used to riding a modern (Thorn) tandem and find this bike quite responsive in comparison. I would happily use it for day rides.I've deliberately not set about the surface rust on the handlebar stem and seat-posts etc. Happy to answer any questions.
Image Attachments
IMG_0936 copy.jpg