George Longstaff trike on Ebay (thread moved)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

George Longstaff trike on Ebay (thread moved)

Post by rmurphy195 »

Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
martin biggs

Re: Must be the saddest thing I've seen on Ebay

Post by martin biggs »

Very sad indeed , but someone will get a bargain if that's what they need / want
Last edited by martin biggs on 23 Oct 2020, 6:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I can see that being a brilliant bike for someone who would struggle to get out on a bike otherwise and hopefully restore as much fitness as possible.

The listing definitely reminds you of our mortality and failing health as we age. The amount of money paid clearly shows someone who was very motivated to get back cycling and unfortunately couldn't achieve that in the end.
pwa

Post by pwa »

As far as I can see, that trike could be converted back to a normal trike if someone preferred it that way, with a new front wheel, and the electronic stuff could be stored. The battery would need regular topping up of course. But either way, it is a lovely thing.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

"Saddest", I think it's brilliant, just shows you that you can't educate some people as to what might actually be useful for others to get around on.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

At 1600 quid someone got a bargain. Longer in the top tube and nearer and I'd have been in the bidding,!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

djnotts wrote:At 1600 quid someone got a bargain. Longer in the top tube and nearer and I'd have been in the bidding,!

If I hadn't bid on it it would have gone for a thou, I didn't really want/need it but would have been a travesty for it to go so low and I would have just ridden it for fun and giggles.
If I hadn't bid so early I would have gotten it for £1270 as the over bidder had bid four times previously and outbid at last second.

Feel sorry for the original purchaser who spent £5.5k new. This was worth so much more to the right person. Reckon it should have had a reserve price in all honesty and advertised elsewhere.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The utility cyclist wrote:Feel sorry for the person who spent the money, this was worth so much more to the right person. Reckon it should have had a reserve price in all honesty and advertised elsewhere.
Reserve probably would not have helped. Only about 5 years ago there was a similar case, brand new trike (not electric assist) costing over £4000 and the owner died. Advertised through clubs at £1500, sold at £1200. A limited market. I agree that to the right person they are worth more, but how long do you wait for that right person to come along.
pwa

Post by pwa »

djnotts wrote:At 1600 quid someone got a bargain. Longer in the top tube and nearer and I'd have been in the bidding,!

That's the problem, isn't it. The right buyer, to whom it would be worth a lot more, is someone who thinks a trike is what they need. That is already a small group. Then it has to be a decent fit, reducing the group again. And they have to have the money and not already got the machine they want. That is going to be a very small group, and quite possibly nobody at this point in time.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

After buying my trike my only regret is not getting one fifty years sooner, they are such fun and no I do not have any special needs that require one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bowedw wrote:After buying my trike my only regret is not getting one fifty years sooner, they are such fun and no I do not have any special needs that require one.

Can you tell us more about their particular delights?
I suppose folks always wonder about cornering.
Daft question - how do the rear brakes work - both operated from one lever i assume? Any complications in this?
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@bowedw
Pictures please
How was learning to ride it?
Diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Sweep wrote:
Bowedw wrote:After buying my trike my only regret is not getting one fifty years sooner, they are such fun and no I do not have any special needs that require one.

Can you tell us more about their particular delights?
I suppose folks always wonder about cornering.
Daft question - how do the rear brakes work - both operated from one lever i assume? Any complications in this?
We have been here before, and keeping a discussion in For Sale does not seem right. In short - look at the Tricycle Association https://tricycleassociation.org.uk/ Clubman's trikes very seldom have rear brakes but have 2 on the front (see paragraph 9 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... 176_en.pdf ) where they do have rear brakes it is either a single hub brake on one wheel, or on a differential if fitted, or modern discs operated from one lever with a split like an overgrown bridge on a centrepull brake. I ride only about 1% of my mileage on 2 wheels because 3 is so much fun. Weight, wind resistance, physicality of balance (keeping it rubber side down) make them about 10% slower than an equivalent bicycle. Typical photo -
DSC00889.JPG
IMG_20180506_0001_NEW.jpg

If you wish to discuss these fabulous machines, please open another topic because "for sales" etc get deleted so cannot be searched in the future.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Truly our time upon this earth is a tiny flicker of the smallest candle - get peddling, folks... (or whatever else you like doing!)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

As this post is near the top of the for sales post I will venture a reply and can only second what tatanab wrote. Normal riding does not require such an extreme overhang to corner as the picture,usually I just lean over and judge the road camber to decide on which line to take. This 10% he mentions translates into you get fitter keeping up with a group of cyclists about your age.
Yes I also agree with tatanab that this is a sales section of the forum and its use for thanking a person on a sale should be done by a pm message as should all items sold be market SOLD in the sale header.