Thorn Brevet fast touring bike 56cm

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
neilob

Thorn Brevet fast touring bike 56cm

Postby neilob » 21 Nov 2020, 5:48pm

A really lovely 56cm Thorn Brevet fast touring/Audax bike in Reynolds 525 steel. Complete Tiagra 9-speed triple groupset with Deore/Sun wheels. Marathon Plus tyres. No saddle. All the braze ons you’d expect including bottle cages, pannier racks, mudguard eyes, pump pegs etc. All in completely original and excellent condition, and ready for a lifetime of service. The bike rides very much like my Club Tour and I guess the geometry is similar. It does however have one flaw......I was offered the bike to sell to help fundraise for my blood cancer charity Myeloma UK on the basis that it had a stuck seatpost. My local bike shop had to use alternate heat and cold to remove it....It was well stuck! But they succeeded however some of the paint around the junction of the seat and top tube was damaged. So ideally it needs a bit of refurbishment to bring it back to top condition as shown in the first photo (which was taken a couple of weeks ago). Touch up paint is available and, with the right skills, you will get this back on the road for £20 and an hour or so of effort! I have a set of genuine Thorn decals which I will supply with the bike so even a complete powder coat at £75 is an option and it will still be a cheap high quality bike. Thorn bikes enjoy an amazing reputation and this is a great example of the brand. I can’t emphasise how nice this bike is apart from the relatively small area of damaged paintwork around the seat and top tube junctions. How does £400 sound? It’s for a great cause. Postage will be around £25-30 or collection welcome.
Image Attachments
EADCF888-2E45-4C41-BE71-95BF20361928.jpeg
75F2BE73-5D3A-47F0-82BF-3814A9008A2A.jpeg
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.

mumbojumbo

Re: Thorn Brevet fast touring bike 56cm

Postby mumbojumbo » 23 Nov 2020, 5:36pm

Have you checked whether application of heat has had effect upon brazings in heated area.Some bike shops are less skilled than proper frame-builders.

jimlews

Re: Thorn Brevet fast touring bike 56cm

Postby jimlews » 23 Nov 2020, 7:20pm

FYI
Those bikes are welded not brazed. So highly unlikely to be any issue beyond a respray.