Carlton carrera 22"

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
travelling

Carlton carrera 22"

Postby travelling » 23 Apr 2009, 5:25pm

*****************************************************************************************************************
Offered FOR SALE - by kennyh. See further down . . . . 2018
*****************************************************************************************************************

So my ex's brother has past away and she now has his bicycle in her garage, not knowing much about bikes she's asked me to ask the members if they can give some history to it.

It is Wine red coloured Carlton Carrera with both the forks and frame being handbuilt in reynolds 531. it has a 31-32 stepover.

the gears brakes have no set markings i.e. lx or so but it has the shimano emblem pressed into the pedals,rear derailluer etc, the seat post has larade marked on it and it has 700x23 tyres on it
DSCF0516.JPG
DSCF0518.JPG
Last edited by Graham on 21 Dec 2018, 7:34pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account

Tonyf33

Re: Carlton carrera and what is it ?

Postby Tonyf33 » 24 Apr 2009, 5:07pm

Well that's a Shimano 'Golden Arrow rear mech & non fluted FC-S125 Chainset possibly GA front derailleur & down tube shifters. (Akin to Shimano 105 in todays groupset level) If original components that dates it between 1983-86.
The seatpost is actually a SR 'Laprade' like this one. http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/seatposts/asr.html Likely to be 27.2mm size considering the tubeset.

gaz

Postby gaz » 24 Apr 2009, 8:25pm

I'd go so far as to say that Gold Arrow was subtitled 105, or vice-versa. Agree with it being mid 80's, just before the introduction of indexing.

BTW it's unlikely to index well as the design does not use a slant parallelogram.

travelling

Postby travelling » 25 Apr 2009, 8:18am

I found this also whilst digging around a bit more

"Made by the lightweight division of Raleigh in 1986 under the management of Gerald O'Donovan, they were made from Reynolds 531 tubing with Shimano 105 components."

Well now I can tell her what it is I'll find out what she wants to do with it

Just out of interest if she was to want to sell it does anyone know if one has been sold recently and roughly about how much?
I would ebay it if she wanted to sell but lately I hate to sell stuff through ebay..fee's are getting silly

Thanks everyone
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 25 Apr 2009, 9:04am

Kinda depends on overall condition I would think. If it's straight & doesn't need any mechanics doing to it & you gave it a thoroughly good clean then it might be worth £120 to someone.(Ebay can also be a lottery but however you do reach a wider audience) If you put a rack & mudguards on it, it would ultimately be that much more sellable. Here's the 105/Golden Arrow groupset on Velobase for info http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleGroup ... b2798a796b

As for indexing, my long cage variant works okay with my 8 speed D/ace STI group.

travelling

Postby travelling » 25 Apr 2009, 5:48pm

Bearing in mind it isn't worth much I wonder if it would be possible to replace the 23x700 wheels and tires and get some more robust 26's on the bike to use it for touring, I am a hefty chap at 17 stone and would be carrying front and rear pannier full up with tents etc on the back?

Any thoughts?

gaz

Postby gaz » 25 Apr 2009, 7:55pm

Tonyf33 wrote:As for indexing, my long cage variant works okay with my 8 speed D/ace STI group.

Lucky you. I could never get my long cage to work with 6 speed Deore thumbies. Of course it may have been because of the 5 speed Maillard block or the Sedis Chain. :lol:

gaz

Postby gaz » 25 Apr 2009, 8:01pm

travelling wrote:Any thoughts?

Assuming the kit currently on it is as new then I wouldn't think it a good idea.

Leaving other issues aside for the time being 26" is significantly smaller than 700c, it's unlikely the brakes would reach. I doubt that it's got clearance for bigger 700c rims and tyres.

Other issues include rear drop out spacing (likely to be 126mm on that frame, 135mm on modern MTB hubs), frame angles (looks like a road bike, built for a short speedy ride rather than long term comfort), lack of braze-ons for luggage carrying (difficult to tell from the pic but probably a safe bet), current gearing, etc.

If you want to use it as a day-ride machine or even a credt card tourer I'd think it would be OK.

moshduck

Postby moshduck » 2 May 2009, 10:21am

My dad bought one of these in 87 and it was the greatest thing i have ever owned I cycled the 12 miles to school and back on it every day for three years until we were burgled and it was taken. If you ever think of parting company with this bike please contact me. jayogdon@yahoo.co.uk. In the meantime hope you have fun with it.

travelling

Postby travelling » 18 Nov 2010, 8:56am

I'd forgotten that this was here

Anyway the father in law has now decided sitting in a cupboard is no longer this bikes future and should be ridden so It will be going on ebay...with postage options...on sunday evening

Kennyh

Postby Kennyh » 21 Dec 2018, 7:19pm

Hi I am now the owner of this bike and have owned it since 2009. The bike has been dry stored in a heated garage. Because of work commitments etc, I have never had chance to use it and have now decided to sell. If your interested please contact me. Thankyou.

martin biggs

Postby martin biggs » 21 Dec 2018, 8:00pm

Kennyh wrote:Hi I am now the owner of this bike and have owned it since 2009. The bike has been dry stored in a heated garage. Because of work commitments etc, I have never had chance to use it and have now decided to sell. If your interested please contact me. Thankyou.

pm sent

andymgc

Re: Carlton carrera ( 22"? )

Postby andymgc » 22 Dec 2018, 1:44pm

Where is the bike located Kenny? Do you have an asking price?

Kennyh

Postby Kennyh » 22 Dec 2018, 4:05pm

Hi.The bike is in Leeds. I’m open to offers please. Thanks. Ken

Kennyh

Postby Kennyh » 22 Dec 2018, 5:15pm

Hi. I will check frame size tomorrow and add.sorry for delay.