Reducing a photo file size

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
rudge

Reducing a photo file size

Postby rudge » 22 Dec 2013, 7:05am

How do I reduce the file size of a photograph so that I can include it in a posting? (I have tried various forums, but the answers already assume knowledge that I don't have.)

Thanks

TonyR

Re: Reducing file size

Postby TonyR » 22 Dec 2013, 8:34am

If you're on Windows XP you can use the Microsoft Windows Powertoys Image Resizer which allows you to resize an image with a right click.

If its a later version of Windows someone has kindly written a replacement as Microsoft didn't. (Its on a website run by Microsoft for open source projects so should be safe)

robgul

Postby robgul » 22 Dec 2013, 9:12am

Google for a freebie prog called PhotoFiltre - does what you want and lots of other image manipulation tools (it's almost a poor man's Photoshop!)

Rob

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 22 Dec 2013, 9:12am

It depends on your operating system but on Windows 7 if you right click on the file you can select Send to.. and then email it to yourself, which will give you the opportunity to select a size, small, medium etc.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 22 Dec 2013, 9:15am

There are a couple of other threads on resizing photos. This one viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68984 links to the other :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

rudge

Postby rudge » 22 Dec 2013, 9:06pm

Well. I am a bit further forward. I have downloaded PhotoFiltre but I cannot find a function on it that relates to reducing the file size. I can reduce the image in pixels, but how does that measure relate to kilobytes?

I worked with computers for twenty years or more, but not with images. It is one of my low level grumbles that manufacturers no longer publish clear instructions for the use of their products.

Thanks again

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 23 Dec 2013, 8:14am

One of the easy ways to reduce file size is to Export the file rather than Save it.

Export is normally found under the option File at the top. I wonder if anybody knows a shortcut?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

gaz

Postby gaz » 23 Dec 2013, 10:53pm

Open the picture you want to resize in MS Paint.

File > Properties, will give you the file size.

Resize the pic, Save as (Change the file name so you can revert to the original).

File > Properties, will give you the new file size. You need to be 256KB or less to upload to the forum.

Resize again, or revert to the original if you over did it.

File > Properties, will give you the new file size.

Repeat as necessary until the file is small enough to upload, your initial resize estimates will improve with practice.
It's got nothing to do with vorsprung durch technic you know ...

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 24 Dec 2013, 11:22am

(Bored at work...)
How about:
Find image file, right-click on it, choose Edit, image opens in Paint, choose Resize, choose from pixels or percent. Click OK - Job Done.
MS Paint has been in every version of Microsoft Windows I can think of...
Folks who might want the image in its original size might want to make a copy of the the original first...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Dec 2013, 2:19pm

simonineaston wrote:(Bored at work...)
How about:
Find image file, right-click on it, choose Edit, image opens in Paint, choose Resize, choose from pixels or percent. Click OK - Job Done.
MS Paint has been in every version of Microsoft Windows I can think of...
Folks who might want the image in its original size might want to make a copy of the the original first...

I've always used a file reducing website previously recommended on here. I've not got it on this computer and I can't remember what it was called. I have some pics to post so I thought I would try this. Unfortunately I'm far too stupid to follow those instructions. By looking around, I found the "resize" page (its location may be obvious to the rest of mankind but not to me :oops: ) but I couldn't see a per cent option. Would it be possible to post the steps in sequence, as they appear to a user? (I don't need screen grabs, just the name as it appears on the screen, of the next option to take, at each stage. :?

gaz

Postby gaz » 31 Dec 2013, 10:35pm

First run MS Paint. I'm hoping that the screen grabs may help but there have been a number of versions over the years with subtle differences to confuse the unwary.

Inst1.jpg
Click here, or "File".

Inst4.jpg
Menu

The menu gives you options to "open" your picture, "save as" and "properties". Open the picture you want to resize in MS Paint then click again for "properties" which will give you the file size.

Resize the pic.
Inst2.jpg
Click here, or "Edit">"Resize"

Inst3.jpg
Resize, default is by percentage.

You can't check the filesize before the resized image has been saved. "Save as" a different name to preserve the original.

File > Properties, will give you the new file size. You need to be 256KB or less to upload to the forum.

Resize again, or revert to the original if you over did it.

Repeat as necessary until the file is small enough to upload, your initial resize estimates will improve with practice.

If you know your way around your camera and it has a "VGA" setting this can be used to take a picture with a small file size that will upload directly to the forum but is too poor a quality for any other use. The tricky bit is remembering to change the settings back for your real world photos.
It's got nothing to do with vorsprung durch technic you know ...

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 1 Jan 2014, 11:50am

Most camera softwares have a way to resize photos, too. It is typically under a function for exporting or converting file formats.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Jan 2014, 2:49pm

For the record, it couldn't be simpler with a Mac.

Open the picture in Preview.app
Select "Tools" in the menu bar.
A drop-down menu drops down, and you select "Adjust Size".
A window opens and you can change the size in inches, cms, the resolution, or the amount of pixels.
As you change the picture, it tells you the size in Mbs or Kbs that its become.

Save the picture in the normal way, and Hey Presto.
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal
Location: Chilterns, the bit the gubment havent concreted over (yet) although they are trying..

Postby al_yrpal » 1 Jan 2014, 3:17pm

For the record its just as easy on the PC.

Right click on the picture and select edit in the menu which opens MS Paint and resize it by % pixels or size.

Its all the same as the MAC! And just as easy...

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Jan 2014, 3:34pm

So many things are easy, once you know how to do it. Explaining things in a manner that somebody else can understand who doesn't know how is the hard bit.
rudge wrote:How do I reduce the file size of a photograph so that I can include it in a posting? (I have tried various forums, but the answers already assume knowledge that I don't have.) ...

I think I've now worked this out. I've had a few frustrating moments in the last 24 hours looking for "resize" to click on. On my own version of Paint, that seems to be labelled "stretch and skew" even though "stretch" actually includes "shrink." (Perhaps they dropped the word "resize" as a result of too many people assuming it meant recoating with a glue solution. :? ) My version of Paint is 5.1 btw.