Reducing a photo file size

For sale of complete bikes, trikes, recumbents ( minor missing components acceptable. e.g. no saddle, no pedals ). Please do NOT post bike bits here. They will be deleted.
al_yrpal
Location: Chilterns, the bit the gubment havent concreted over (yet) although they are trying..

Re: Reducing file size

Postby al_yrpal » 1 Jan 2014, 4:55pm

TC for the record my Paint is V 6.1 running in Windows 7. The resize option is on the Home tab. Update it, its free I think.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Jan 2014, 9:19pm

In the interests of science, I've laid my hands on a computer with a large enough screen to see gaz's thoughtfully provided screen grabs clearly. I'm humble enough to be able to admit that I'm probably doing something wrong, but be that as it may, when I open Paint what I see does not show anything like all the features which appear in gaz's pics and in particular, there's nothing labelled "Home."

FWIW, I've now posted the relevant pics so the issue is only academic to me. I do wonder how many excellent pics we never see because somebody is unsuccessful when they try to post them, and has a hide a bit thinner than mine. :?

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 1 Jan 2014, 9:52pm

It's a bit exasperating that popular forum software doesn't yet do all of this for you. HTML5 is sufficiently smart that it should be this simple on a modern browser:

- drag photo file into editing window
- forum resizes image, uploads, shows in editing window, all automatically

But forum software is very rarely the cutting edge of web development.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

gaz

Postby gaz » 1 Jan 2014, 10:38pm

thirdcrank wrote:I'm humble enough to be able to admit that I'm probably doing something wrong, but be that as it may, when I open Paint what I see does not show anything like all the features which appear in gaz's pics and in particular, there's nothing labelled "Home."

Like al_yrpal I am running MS Paint v6.1 but I've only be doing so for a few short months. I don't know what version I first learned on but the screens were very different in appearance. Understanding how to get this version to do what I want has not been entirely intuitive.

Edit - The pics in Vorpal's post look like the version I used to have.

For Christmas I was most fortunate to find a new camera under the tree. Whilst I am sure that it will be much more capable than my current camera I do not look forward to learning it's quirks, nor those of the software that accompanied it. If it improves my pictures I will be truly astounded :shock: . I am not one to blame the tools so far as my own photographic efforts are concerned.
Last edited by gaz on 1 Jan 2014, 11:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's got nothing to do with vorsprung durch technic you know ...

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 1 Jan 2014, 11:04pm

In version 5.1, the easiest thing to do is to use the stretch or skew operation.
resize1.JPG
resize1.JPG (15.38 KiB) Viewed 7907 times

resize2.JPG
resize2.JPG (18.84 KiB) Viewed 7907 times

You have to check the file size and play around with a little. Roughly, a 1 Mbyte file will have to be reduced to about 5% in each dimension to achieve forum limitations.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

dainiusd

Re: Reducing a photo file size

Postby dainiusd » 6 Nov 2017, 4:18pm

As this is a phpBB discussion forum it's very easy to make it resize pictures automatically, just a small injection of code into one of php files needed. One of admins could easily do it.

thirdcrank

Re: Reducing a photo file size

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Nov 2017, 7:31pm

Time flies.

I now have a computer which came with Windows 10, rather than one updated from Windows 8, via 8.1 to 10.

Although Paint doesn't appear on the list of "All apps" it is in there if you look and the "resize" option is available from the first view. I've been using this for a while and I'd forgotten about this thread.