Evaluating the impact of cycle helmet use...

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Evaluating the impact of cycle helmet use...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pjclinch wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 8:39am Most typically cycling according to the National Standards for Cycle Training is seen as using 2 positions, Primary and Secondary. Secondary is a whole can of worms as to where it effectively is (I was involved in a consultation over teaching positioning earlier this year, it's not just a case of cut and paste from Cyclecraft) but Primary is generally reasonably easy to pin down as the middle of your lane.
--8<--
(The Cycling Scotland position teaching looks to be heading for a Secondary that's taught as at least a metre, rather than Cyclecraft's 50cm)
Interesting definitions...
I generally work on the basis of whether I choose to cycle in the left tyre track (secondary) or the right tyre track (primary) on the road - I do sometimes take the centreline of the lane, but it's not that often (usually not a great surface, and often slightly raised compared with either side, so it doesn't really hold the trike)
Although on a 'bent (especially a trike) it's very rare to get bad close passes (comparing between the same cyclist riding the same commute on mixed vehicles for a several years).

I do make sure that I return to secondary when it's (potentially) safe for the following vehicle to overtake, and obviously avoid the road craters as best I can.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Re: Evaluating the impact of cycle helmet use...

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 2:16pm
The utility cyclist wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 8:34am
All helmet wearers and those that push for people to wear them whilst cycling do massive harm to society as a whole never mind other people riding bikes helmeted or not. That's not opinion, it's a fact.
I'm not sure if it's good form to quote this as the poster seems to have left the forum but he's also been a strong supporter of the environment for cyclists in Denmark. A little bird sent me this helmet promotion propaganda published by the Danish Road Safety Council.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m-c4GixUpg
I thought that was rather funny, but of course it is promoting helmets. The Danish equivalent of the DfT & highways authorities have generally been pretty keen to promote helmets. I suspect that is one of the reasons Danish researchers study why they shouldn't. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom