Flat cap and sun hats

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Govnor

Flat cap and sun hats

Post by Govnor »

Seeing as helmets have there own section and sun burnt head an issue,
Wondered what those who wear a helmet do as they seem uncomfortable, sweaty and your head cooked through the slits.
Flat cap here or Mick Dundee hat in summer
Mike Sales

Re: Flat cap and sun hats

Post by Mike Sales »

Govnor wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 3:52pm Seeing as helmets have there own section and sun burnt head an issue,
Wondered what those who wear a helmet do as they seem uncomfortable, sweaty and your head cooked through the slits.
Flat cap here or Mick Dundee hat in summer
A cotton casquette is traditional. Smaller peak than the ubiquitous baseball cap.
Here is a source.
https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/w ... st-selling

I well understand the problem. My scalp is still peeling from an unwise walk in the first sunny day.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I wear a buff under mine. It can also be used as a neck warmer and Covid mask.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I wear a Buff Visor - sadly no longer made it seems.
No plastic hat.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Cheers lads for the info, is there a cycling encyclopedia as all these terms all new to me and finding suitable clothing for larger people not to look daft in.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rotavator wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 6:02pm I wear a buff under mine. It can also be used as a neck warmer and Covid mask.
Likewise (when I wear a helmet which is rarely these days;I go through phases).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Always a cap.
I have three. One on, one in the wash, and one ready in the drawer.

Totally bald, so a cap is is a must.
Helmets, I don't agree with, but even if I did, they aren't comfortable in the slightest.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mike Sales wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 4:04pm

A cotton casquette is traditional. Smaller peak than the ubiquitous baseball cap.
Here is a source.
https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/w ... st-selling
I have several of those, but they don't stay on my head. I think it is due to too much & slippery hair. I use a baseball cap, held in place by sticking my hair out the adjustment loop with a hair elastic on it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

rotavator wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 6:02pm I wear a buff under mine. It can also be used as a neck warmer and Covid mask.
This. Covers ears and neck (a little like a beau jeste kepi) as well. I have a lightweight spf50 no-mosi one, but apart from the lovely colour, it probably doesn't function any different to a bog standard one tbh.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

When I lost a casquette on a ride across Northumberland a couple of years ago and had to buy a replacement as emergency protection at The Sill visitor centre. The only hat suitable was an overly-expensive Columbia lightweight cap with a baseball cap type brim. I hated it at the time, but it's turned out to be a fantastic cap. it wicks away the sweat and keeps the sun off my scalp and out of my eyes. It can't be worn under a helmet because of the button on top where the panels meet. My other favourite hat for riding is a Tilley Hat - a little too heavy for very warm weather, but perfect in cooler weather and protects neck, ears and eyes against Sun and rain.
I don't like the feel of a casquette under my helmet -I tried it last week- but I'll have a go with a Buff to see if that works for me.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

In hot weather I wear one of these under my helmet. It stops my head burning and it absorbs sweat ...... easily washed out after :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tofern-Moistur ... r=8-1&th=1
Steve
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 4:17pm Always a cap.
I have three. One on, one in the wash, and one ready in the drawer.

Totally bald, so a cap is is a must.
Helmets, I don't agree with, but even if I did, they aren't comfortable in the slightest.
I disagree.
They for me are comfortable.
Unless you are stationary they do a good job of keeping rain off head and face IF you have a visor for the later.
If a visor too then flies are directed over the head.
Insulate in summer and in winter I rarely wear a buff / cap.
They are not all over on the skin of head so no sweaty clammy surface.
Vented and insulated by their construction.
I am not the only one who has said that a helmet keeps the head cooler.
Peak also is a visor for sun and headlamps from other vehicles / road users......including other cyclist / walkers etc.

Safety answers are of course a separate issue and thread :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I suspect helmet comfort is a very personal thing.
I have an odd shaped head with what I can only describe as a protrusion at the back, I've found helmets that I could live with, but not a comfortable one. Many people have 'lumps & bumps' on their heads that would make a helmet uncomfortable.
A second factor is tolerance for sweat and the amount an individual sweats through their head - I'd guess that the sweaty ones find the helmet pads difficult.

So to say, as a blanket statement, "helmets are comfortable / uncomfortable" is very wide of the mark.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider