Helmet Cams and the integrity of cycle helmets

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
steady eddy

Helmet Cams and the integrity of cycle helmets

Post by steady eddy »

Many of you will have read the recent review of helmet cams in the recent copy of Cycle. Given that a helmet cam attached to Michael Schumacher's skiing helmet was considered to be the cause of his tragic injury, just how sensible is it to attach a helmet cam to a cycle helmet given that a ski helmet has a hard shell and a cycle helmet a soft one? Any impact on the camera is likely to destroy the helmet perhaps with dire consequences.

Whilst I appreciate that cams are useful for gathering evidence in the event of an accident it seems to me that they could become a contributory factor to head injuries Are we soon going to see disclaimers on helmets where cams are attached or reduced pay outs on claims if the camera contributes to injury ?
nez

Re: Helmet Cams and the integrity of cycle helmets

Post by nez »

You can get a gizmo that attaches to the handlebars and mounts a GoPro. Plenty of evidence gathered that way if you need it and no danger of robocop 'I've got you on video' face offs. I use a fly camera under the seat too. It's the driving or the lovely view I want to record, not some stupid roadside row.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Personally I would not trust fitting a helmet cam (to my helmet). Even if designed to fall off readily, might still leave some clamp or fixing. But my thoughts are based just on my own thoughts and not and any evidence I've seen/read. Just strikes me that an "added lump" on the helmet could (if it hits something) see a small helmet area receive the full force for the impact.

When I was learning to glide we were not allowed to wear baseball hats because they have this button thing in the middle on the top and should you collide with the canopy, might damage your skull. Could be the club was being paranoid, but at least they had a justification.

Ian
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

steady eddy wrote:Are we soon going to see disclaimers on helmets where cams are attached or reduced pay outs on claims if the camera contributes to injury ?

For there to be disclaimers there would first need to be claims. And very cannily no helmet makes any claims other than it complies with a standard.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

TonyR wrote:
steady eddy wrote:Are we soon going to see disclaimers on helmets where cams are attached or reduced pay outs on claims if the camera contributes to injury ?

For there to be disclaimers there would first need to be claims. And very cannily no helmet makes any claims other than it complies with a standard.

Indeed the case, despite the number of other parties queuing up to endorse them as life-saving miracles... I might expect the builders to start adding a note in small print to the effect that the helmet was tested as complying to the standard claimed without anything extra attached to it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
beardy

Post by beardy »

To make helmets compulsory for your safety but then allow them with cameras strapped to the front would be bonkers.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

pjclinch wrote:I might expect the builders to start adding a note in small print to the effect that the helmet was tested as complying to the standard claimed without anything extra attached to it.

Don't they already do that in the small print? AFAIK they even tell you not to put stickers on it or paint it.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Vorpal wrote:UCI think it's a problem... http://www.pinkbike.com/news/uci-amend- ... -2015.html

Its a shame UCI won't take the same approach to helmets in general i.e. you can wear one on your head in training if you sign a liability exemption form but it can only be carried on the bike in a race :wink: But seriously why can they not let people not wear a helmet and sign a liability waiver rather than making them mandatory?
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Back when I used to ride with a helmet cam (indeed when I used to ride with a helmet - I don't bother these days as it feels silly while riding a Bakfiets long john), it was clipped into a mount that was held on to the helmet with a strap. I am pretty sure this arrangement would have meant the camera breaking away in the event of an impact.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I'm sure someone could make a case for the mount being dangerous.

Because of a tendency to Shermer's Neck I no longer attach anything to my helmet, but although I've never used a helmet cam, every Audax I've ridden has been with a helmet light (or two) for reading signs and glancing irately at drivers who didn't dip. Probably, had I taken an impromptu dive into a roadside poplar and hit it with the crown of my head the lamp would have served to increase skull damage, but the thing is that the probability of crashing is (touch wood) low and nobody riding a bike gives much thought to consequences anyway. If we did we'd stay at home, or stick to pootling along dedicated cycle tracks with kiddie wheels.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Probably about as dangerous as walking or jogging with a strap-mounted headlamp.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Elizabethsdad wrote:I am pretty sure this arrangement would have meant the camera breaking away in the event of an impact.

I doubt it given the mechanics. The camera will be punched into the helmet in five thousandths of a second with a force equivalent to being hit with a one tonne weight.
nez

Post by nez »

TonyR wrote:
Elizabethsdad wrote:I am pretty sure this arrangement would have meant the camera breaking away in the event of an impact.

I doubt it given the mechanics. The camera will be punched into the helmet in five thousandths of a second with a force equivalent to being hit with a one tonne weight.

70kg x 20kph x under surface of camera = being hit on the head with a hammer.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

A plastic hammer though