Neuro surgeon states helmets saves lives!

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
PaulB

Re: Neuro surgeon states helmets saves lives!

Post by PaulB »

As Woody Allan said, "I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens"!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

UNDER the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie:
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you 'grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

Do you like this self penned epitaph?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I don't expect to die or intend to die but like I said, i will die. You will die.
Within all reasonable realms of probability these two events will happen. Intention is nice but reality is death in the end.

No doubt I will die. Everything dies eventually.

You sound as if you find it inevitable and as though you look sort of forward to it and expect it.
Sort of fatalistic.

You may as well slash your wrists now and get it over with. :lol:

You're assuming death is the end, which is really fatalistic!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah, now you're getting onto a different subject altogether.

Afterlife?
I tell you this, if I pop my clogs, I have every intention of coming back and haunting you lot! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mick F wrote:Ah, now you're getting onto a different subject altogether.

Afterlife?
I tell you this, if I pop my clogs, I have every intention of coming back and haunting you lot! :lol:

You already are :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:Ah, now you're getting onto a different subject altogether.

Afterlife?

Yes, a completely different subject - but claiming that accepting mortality is fatalistic rather misses the point as well ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Batears

Post by Batears »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449148971.460011.jpg

I am not worried about bubble wrapped walls or food finishing me off, it's the adverse effects of water that concerns me!![emoji13]
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mick F wrote:I tell you this, if I pop my clogs, I have every intention of coming back and haunting you lot! :lol:

Well if we all end up coming back as ghosts I've no intention of haunting you lot. Seriously better things to do with my time than haunt you lot. Think about all the people you could visit. You're telling us the most creative haunting you can think of is us? If I'm dead and a ghost I'm going to have fun with my haunting. Just think of all celebrities and politicians you could mess with. I'm talking about getting back at dodgy to politicians or annoying celebrities. Justin Bieber (whoever he is) would he a good target. Unstable at the best of times, I reckon a bit of ghostly action and he's in a secure hospital instead of a cossetted pop star world. Enforced counselling and the like I I reckon he'd come out less annoying. Corbyn/Cameron depending on your political religion. Heck I'm sure you can be think of better. Even if it's pervy voyeurism I'm sure you can think better than haunting us lot.

PS I don't believe in afterlife so I'll never get the revenge ghost thing going.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote:PS I don't believe in afterlife so I'll never get the revenge ghost thing going.
You may not believe, but how can you know one way or another?

Keep your options open.
Have plans, have ideas ................ just in case. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Would those ideas transition with you? Why plan, make it up as you go just like life. You don't come into this life with a plan.

All a bit philosophical metaphysical isn't it? Probably more fun than a helmet debate. Sorry definitely more fun than that.

So, haunting br members, who and what would you do? Let's have a bit of fun with this idea.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:You may not believe, but how can you know one way or another?

Quite easily.

Look at the complexity of the brain. Look at how experience shapes it. Look at how it can go wrong. Look at all the research that's done into it etc etc.
When you've done all that it becomes a dead cert that everything that is 'me' is inherent in the way it's wired and that wiring is destroyed once I'm dead.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Oh no, don't tell me we're going to get all deep and meaningful? Much as I love the idea of 'coming back' and doing some serious haunting, it ain't going to happen! When yer dead, yer dead! Bug food and decomposition, that's all if will be, there's cheerful on this lovely sunny morning. Now off out on the bike :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:
Mick F wrote:You may not believe, but how can you know one way or another?

Quite easily.

Look at the complexity of the brain. Look at how experience shapes it. Look at how it can go wrong. Look at all the research that's done into it etc etc.
When you've done all that it becomes a dead cert that everything that is 'me' is inherent in the way it's wired and that wiring is destroyed once I'm dead.

You're assuming that the "me" you experience in this body is the only "me" there is...

Watch a black and white telly with poor (analogue) reception and it's wonderful, until someone shows you clear reception, or a colour set...

Maybe brain injuries just alter the perception of/interface to this world - who knows... noone.

To quote from the Dr Who episode I watched yesterday...
Imagine embryos had telephones.
That's really not helping.
Go with me. Go with me. Imagine babies in wombs could talk to other babies in other wombs. What would they say? What would they think life was like if they could talk among themselves?
I really have no idea.
They'd think that life was nine months long. Then, boom, trap door opens, out you fall, gone for ever. Never hear from those guys again. Nothing at the end of the cord.
Okay.
This isn't really an afterlife. It's just more life than you were expecting.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Dr who? Next you'll quote star wars. The force is strong in you you'll live for ever.

Fiction is not the real hence no better than religion for explaining things.

Now who would you really want to haunt? If you're doing fantasy let's do that one!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tangled Metal wrote:Dr who? Next you'll quote star wars. The force is strong in you you'll live for ever.

Fiction is not the real hence no better than religion for explaining things.

Now who would you really want to haunt? If you're doing fantasy let's do that one!

Neither simile nor metaphor are real - they're not meant to be...

It's extraordinarily arrogant to assert beyond doubt that we can possibly know everything - the quoted conversation serves merely to highlight that in a way that we can understand...

Why would I want to haunt anyone - I'm sure there will be more interesting things to do - after all, to return to Dr Who - "The dead outnumber the living". Now who do you want to talk to?