Bolton Council asks UK government to make helmets compulsory

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
Mike Sales

Re: Bolton Council asks UK government to make helmets compul

Postby Mike Sales » 15 Dec 2015, 5:58pm

Mattyfez wrote:Agree with the above.. Such a law would have 2 major issues :

1. Those who chose to ignore it wouldn't be prosecuted.. How do they intend to enforce it? Run after them?

2. Some would just not cycle at all, so extra strain on the NHS.

It's just not logical to pass such a law despite the odd death. Not that government cares about logic, bribes, sorry, lobbying maybe.

As I posted above, the Australians and New Zealanders seem to have solved the problem of 1..
I have not bothered to google about the efforts of police in the helmet mandating states of the USA.

They have solved the problem of 2. by ignoring it

mjr

Postby mjr » 15 Dec 2015, 8:23pm

Mike Sales wrote:I was merely observing that the colonial police have no difficulty of finding plenty of lidless riders to fine. That there are fewer and a lower proportion of cyclists available to fine does not seem to me to be relevant. If anything with our higher numbers of cyclists they would just have more targets.
I hope you don't think I believe we should aspire to follow these poor countries.

Not at all. I just wanted to make it clear.

I don't know how their traffic police to traffic ratios are compared to ours - does anyone reading this know?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 15 Dec 2015, 11:42pm

Australia have police specifically looking/targetting transgressors on bikes as it's deemed at least as important from a road safety POV as controlling errant motorists which is utterly ridiculous, it's also easy income/easy target.
Road deaths of cyclists in NZ is shocking despite the low levels of cycling, drink driving in both Aus/NZ is beyond a joke, it's an epidemic yet a disproportionate amount of time targeting cyclists avoids sorting out the true problems...disgusting :twisted:

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 16 Dec 2015, 1:32am

Bicycle licenses next. :P

They will rule "a human being is an engine" and introduce Vehicle Excise Duty on bicycles.

While it needs a licence to ride it and a VED (BED?!) why not force bicycle MOT's as well, could be dangerous. Brake bolt not tight enough, £20 fine. Failed its test because headset bearings needed replacing. The manufacturers would love it.

People should be looking at which companies exactly are lobbying the Government to make helmets compulsory. Are they tied to the helmet manufacturers? I think normally this is called "fascism" but oh well.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 2 Jan 2016, 1:24pm

Mick F wrote:
Vantage wrote:For what it's worth, I do wear my lid for one reason only. It helps keep the rain off my head and the peak keeps it out of my eyes.
I was a helmet user, but not now ......... for various reasons.
I'm now wearing one of these:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/hats/belgia ... ycling-cap
1311413_001_1-450x450.jpg

I'll be ordering mine on Thursday. It can't look any more ridiculous than my leather aussie bush hat :mrgreen:

I'm right on the border of the s/m size at 57cm. The next size up is the l but thats from 58cm onwards. What's your thinking on their sizing Mick? Better to go large?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

MockCyclist

Postby MockCyclist » 2 Jan 2016, 3:09pm

I bought one on the strength of the link that Mick posted!

The first "correct" size one needed pulling tight over the sides of my head. So I returned it and got the oversized one, which, actually, is just a little oversized but feels better. My suggestion is to order both sizes from Evans and keep the one that you like.

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 5 Jan 2016, 5:24pm

If "Bolton Council" want to make helmets compulsory, make helmets compulsory - in Bolton.

I don't see any problem with it since I never go there. :)

I got the Giro Aeon back when they had 75% off the price... still cost £70 but thats not much more than what all the good ones cost. Ones that go all pointed at the back and try to make the back and sides of the helmet look like a hairdo.

If you can get last years or the year before's Giro Aeon at under £100 I highly recommend it, but its a big outlay. Its about the only helmet I have ever worn where I genuinely forget I have got it on. Its under 200g. Whatever you do, don't get one on eBay or from China. Not with this sort of thing.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 5 Jan 2016, 5:34pm

Ahhhh the "It's OK as long as it doesn't affect me" way of thinking.
:roll:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 5 Jan 2016, 6:12pm

Vantage wrote:Ahhhh the "It's OK as long as it doesn't affect me" way of thinking.
:roll:

Time to dust off Pastor Niemoller?

Bicycler

Postby Bicycler » 5 Jan 2016, 7:26pm

Possibly meant to be humorous? AFAIK nobody has seriously suggested a Bolton-only law.

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 5 Jan 2016, 7:39pm

Yeah turn Bolton only into an extreme left wing enclave so all the people that love to regulate and be regulated can all live there regulating each other to their hearts content while the rest of the world lives normally and has some rights. Bolton Wanderers would need to be relocated since normal people still need to get in and out.

I have said for a long time these cretinous people need their own island and I still think that now. Let's call it "Policy Island". If your big toe so much as touches the sand you have to go into quarantine for 3 months, sorry its policy, for your safety... now here's your £1,500 quarantine bill sir here's your number go to the house with the same number and await further orders.