Wooly Hats Should Be Mandatory!

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
PhilWhitehurst

Re: Wooly Hats Should Be Mandatory!

Postby PhilWhitehurst » 30 Jan 2016, 3:48pm

A
Last edited by PhilWhitehurst on 31 Jan 2016, 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 31 Jan 2016, 2:36am

The hat is fitted with a motion detector that turns the hat into a helmet within 5cm of the ground. Just kidding, it turns the ground into marshmallow. I think Samsung have the patent.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 31 Jan 2016, 11:18am

Can I recommend the following as evidence:

Head Impact Model of Early Axonal Injury in the Sheep

Graham

Postby Graham » 31 Jan 2016, 11:22am

Oh you tease . . . "The requested article is not currently available on this site."

Yes I really was going to read it. :shock:

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 31 Jan 2016, 11:30am

The link may be borked but the article is real believe it or not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8913967

But then ungulates are notorious for not wearing helmets

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 1 Feb 2016, 11:56am

Many moons ago I was doing a mapping exercise on Skye for my undergrad degree, which involved trogging over considerable extents of boggy landscape between Portree and the Storr.

On one occasion I was somewhat alarmed to hear what I took for probably gunshots just over the next bump, so I very cautiously approached and peered over. There were a couple of rams in what I assume was the annual "I'm 'arder than you" competition, the format being to back off a few meters and charge together for a meeting or horns/skulls. As noted, hard enough to sound like a gunshot nearby, and it didn't seem to unduly bother them so much they wouldn't back off and try again!

So, obviously EN1078 needs to be uprated to include compulsory horns...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 2 Feb 2016, 8:24am

Graham wrote:Oh you tease . . . "The requested article is not currently available on this site."

Yes I really was going to read it. :shock:

Here is the abstract. If ewe were to read the whole aticle you would understand the ramifications.

Axonal injury (AI), one of the principal determinants of clinical outcome after head injury, may evolve over several hours after injury, raising the future possibility of therapeutic intervention during this period. A new head impact model of AI in sheep was developed to examine pathological and physiological changes in the brain resulting from a graded traumatic insult. In this preliminary study 10 anesthetized and ventilated Merino ewes were used. Head injury was produced by impact from a humane stunner to the temporal region of an unrestrained head. Eight sheep were studied for 1, 2, 4, or 6 h after impact. Two sham animals (no impact, 6 h survival) were also examined. Arterial blood pressure, intracranial pressure, and cerebral blood flow were monitored continuously. A physiological index of injury severity was calculated by weighting the percentage shift from preinjury values for each monitored parameter over the first hour after injury. Immunostaining with amyloid precursor protein (APP) was used as a marker of axonal damage and the distribution of APP positive axons was recorded according to a sector scoring method (APPS). Widespread AI was identified in 7 of the 8 impacted animals, around cerebral contusions and in hemispheric white matter, central gray matter, brain stem, and cerebellum, and was detected as early as 1 h after injury. The degree of axonal injury (APPS) correlated well with an index of physiological response to injury (r = 0.83, p = 0.005).

mjr

Postby mjr » 2 Feb 2016, 9:42am

Wooly or fleecy hats are an appropriate response to the likely problems of road rash and gentle impacts while avoiding the many drawbacks of helmets IMO.

TonyR wrote:I recommend a helmet to save your wooly hat :wink:

I think you're joking, but just to remind the helmet-wearers: "YOU SHOULD NEVER: ... 5. Wear anything under your helmet" (Bell Helmet manual).

I think that means hats, rather than Bell supporting the World Naked Bike Rides. ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.