Part of the look?!

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
TonyR

Re: Part of the look?!

Post by TonyR »

Chiz wrote:I'm hoping to take part in a few organised events this year, I will be dismayed to find any 'helmet rules' whether I intend to wear one or not (I'm very much a fan of having a choice in the matter). Sportives are popular, but by their very nature tend to be of a sporting nature (I think there may be a clue in the title), so are likely to be mostly 'helmets to be worn' type affairs.

Do they actually monitor and enforce those rules when they have them? The only ones they could enforce them on anyway are closed road events which are not that common.
mjr

Post by mjr »

TonyR wrote:Do they actually monitor and enforce those rules when they have them? The only ones they could enforce them on anyway are closed road events which are not that common.

It depends what you mean by "enforce". Of course they can't stop you riding on the majority of the course which is open roads and removing you from the list of published/timed finishers or withholding goodie bags are pretty meaningless sanctions. In my experience it usually depends what managers are watching, how scared they are of their insurance being withdrawn and how many volunteers are anti-choice.

British Cycling's non-competitive event rules also ban all sorts of other things - excuse me for not publicising others but I'm enjoying seeing them being flouted so widely because it makes a mockery of BC. I know the rules are generally not enforced so it's bizarre that enforcement of the helmet forcing is being ratcheted up and up and up. Anyone who isn't a Full Pro Kit Wally riding a race-ready road bike should be worried IMO: first they came for the riders without helmets...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Chiz wrote:I'm hoping to take part in a few organised events this year, I will be dismayed to find any 'helmet rules' whether I intend to wear one or not (I'm very much a fan of having a choice in the matter). Sportives are popular, but by their very nature tend to be of a sporting nature (I think there may be a clue in the title), so are likely to be mostly 'helmets to be worn' type affairs.

Sportives will force helmets if they are run under the rules of British Cycling (they have to be under those rules to be listed on the BC site, so that's a simple check), Evans, Wiggle, Cycle Events, CSUK and a few other multiple-event organisers. The few that are actually Audaxes or CTC-linked usually don't. BC's Skyrides didn't but I don't know if they're dead now Sky are pulling out.

Other than that, I know a few unhelmetted events but of course they are southern England and I'm not sure how far you want to travel. I could post/repost ones I know about to the events board on this forum if it would help - would it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

mjr wrote:

Sportives will force helmets if they are run under the rules of British Cycling (they have to be under those rules to be listed on the BC site, so that's a simple check), Evans, Wiggle, Cycle Events, CSUK and a few other multiple-event organisers.

My question was really about do they enforce those rules? I have ridden in a small number of mandatory helmet events without a helmet and nobody stopped me (or commented) so I wonder how real a problem it is in practice?
mjr

Post by mjr »

TonyR wrote:My question was really about do they enforce those rules? I have ridden in a small number of mandatory helmet events without a helmet and nobody stopped me (or commented) so I wonder how real a problem it is in practice?

And my answer was it varies but some do. In my experience so far it's mostly only helmet checks at registration, refusing to give numbers and registration packs to riders (the first year, myself and a few others blustered our way through by pointing out that the organisers had only said helmets were recommended but they tightened up after that), but one event I've ridden near (IYSWIM ;-) ) reportedly had a marshal out on the ride taking numbers and berating non-wearers at the finished and I think disqualifying them.

I've also read of RideLondon ordering people who removed their helmets off the course but that's a closed-road event with many more marshals, so a rather different situation.
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

mjr wrote:... I know a few unhelmetted events but of course they are southern England and I'm not sure how far you want to travel. I could post/repost ones I know about to the events board on this forum if it would help - would it?

Thank you, I really appreciate the offer, it is a little bit out of the way for me although if there isn't much going on round here I might have to look further afield. I'm going to try the local cyclist 'hangouts', I saw a few groups setting off from 'The Cycle Hub' on Newcastle Quayside this weekend, most were helmeted but they seemed a bit more relaxed about their cycling in general. They weren't taking part in an 'event' as such but there's a good chance they know of a few 'more relaxed' cycling events in the area.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Carry gloves and a hat for cooler conditions and keep your legs, especially your knees, covered unless it
really is quite warm. Wear bright colours for greater motorist awareness and use reflective materials when
you’re riding at night.

http://www.aukweb.net/handbook/handbook.pdf
mjr

Post by mjr »

I really expected AUK to be immune from the "bright colours" nonsense. :-(