Glad I had a lid.

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
maxglide

Glad I had a lid.

Postby maxglide » 25 Jan 2016, 6:31pm

I didn't wear a helmet until recently.

Last week, during the cold snap, as I began down a short hill, the tyres hit a long patch of ice, and off I went. Thump. Luckily, the speed was quite low.

I'm recovering from a couple of badly bruised finger & thumb joints, a nasty cut on the shin and a few grazes. The bike was fine, except for the back bag being scraped and some chipping on a handlebar end. And, I used this as an excuse to buy another hi-viz jacket as the former received a few minor tears.

The thing is, as I hit the ground my head also did. I was helmeted, and it wasn't a problem. As I stood up, recovering some dignity (there was nobody around) all I could think of was, thank Google I was wearing a helmet.

beardy

Re: Glad I had a lid.

Postby beardy » 25 Jan 2016, 6:50pm

a nasty cut on the shin

How about wearing some shin pads? I bet you would have been glad if you had been wearing them too.
Some thicker leather gloves?

Steady rider

Postby Steady rider » 25 Jan 2016, 6:52pm

How often previously, when not wearing a helmet, had you fallen on ice? Did you hit your head previously?

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 25 Jan 2016, 6:56pm

Would you have hit your head at all if it had been the normal size? I've come off on ice, and on leaves, and despite shoulders and hips and knees taking hits the head has never got anywhere near the ground...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 25 Jan 2016, 7:21pm

A year ago I came off on ice on the downhill aproach to a ford and slid for about 20m ending up in the river to the great amusement of my ride colleagues. I had similar bumps and bruises but didn't hit my head. My buff saved my life.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 25 Jan 2016, 7:36pm

I came off on some ice and didn't bang my head. In retrospect reading the OP's post it makes me glad I wasn't. If nothing else I'd have been £30 out of pocket.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 25 Jan 2016, 7:59pm

There have been numerous incidences in my life where I've hit my head without a helmet, and it's hurt.

I think it entirely likely that had I been wearing a helmet on many of those occasions I'd have thanked my lucky stars I was wearing a helmet.

Despite that none of them has made me decide I should wear a helmet for, e,g, cross country skiing, orienteering, putting dishes away in the kitchen, walking through buildings with lower-than-expected doors, walking along tracks without perfectly smooth surfaces, walking along pavements with lamp-posts I hadn't noticed etc. Too much faff just to save the very odd headache. And these occasions aren't particularly more common if I'm on a bike, ice included (it's slippy on foot and on skis and on skates too).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 25 Jan 2016, 8:09pm

pjclinch wrote:There have been numerous incidences in my life where I've hit my head without a helmet, and it's hurt

Kitchens - worst place by far!
I've lost count of the times I've smacked my head on the bottom of an open cupboard door.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 25 Jan 2016, 8:56pm

I've two large blobs of blutac on the corners of a cupboard in the kitchen. They soften the blow when I bang my head on them. Maybe I'd be better of wearing a helmet?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

gaz

Postby gaz » 25 Jan 2016, 9:30pm

Last week, during the cold snap, as I neared the end of my commute, the studded tyres hit a short patch of ice, and on I went as if it hadn't even been there.

The thing is that as I didn't come off I really didn't give it much thought at all, now I realise that studded tyres save lives :wink: .
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 25 Jan 2016, 10:36pm

To the best of my memory I have never ever hit my head whilst unhelmeted. The 2 occasions when I did hit my head, I was wearing a lid. One was fractured on the front. From that accident I still don't remember how I got home and that's going back a good 20 years. The other one was crushed on the side and I do remember having a mother of a headache for a few days after.
Buy a wooly hat instead. They're safer.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

cliffyboy1962

Postby cliffyboy1962 » 26 Jan 2016, 12:09am

God oh God, you anti-helmet lobbyists never give up do you. The OP makes a perfectly reasonable and logical statement and all you can think to do is talk about how dangerous kitchens are and maybe he should have been wearing shin pads ! The man fell off his bike, banged his head, but his helmet stopped it being too nasty. Do you have to all jump on the "Oh, we don't think helmets are necessary" band wagon.

I made the same mistake once and to you guys, it was like a red rag to a bull. I don't buy any of your anti-helmet propaganda. If you don't wanna wear one that's just fine, but please stop whining on about how helmet wearers are wrong, just to justify your own decisions. I know you are going to roast me alive with you replies but I just don't care. :D :D :D

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 26 Jan 2016, 12:51am

We're not anti helmet.
We're anti helmet saved my life stories.
No one here goes about telling others to take their helmets off but you'll see plenty of helmet believers telling us to wear them based on myth.
You'll find no cycling club or event that states the participants are not to wear helmets but you'll find plenty that insist on the wearing of a lid.

Ps. For what it's worth, the helmet section was created so that folk who didn't want to get caught up in the never ending disagreements and debates could simply not click on it.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

cliffyboy1962

Postby cliffyboy1962 » 26 Jan 2016, 3:59am

Vantage wrote:No one here goes about telling others to take their helmets off

But you do though !

You actually say that not wearing a helmet is safer.

You say

"Risk compensation makes helmeted riders ride more recklessly" ..............Nah not true.

"Risk compensation makes other road users more reckless around helmeted riders" .............Nah not true.

"Helmeted riders are more likely to suffer rotational head injuries" .............under certain circumstances maybe. but not under most circumstances.

You say "Buy a wooly hat instead. They're safer." Nah not true.

Honestly, your list of objections to helmets sounds as if you all got together and said "look, we don't want to wear helmets but we must justify this with facts, or other cyclists are going to whine at us so, lets make some up"

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 26 Jan 2016, 6:40am

cliffyboy1962 wrote:I don't buy any of your anti-helmet propaganda.

That's alright. We don't buy any of your helmet propaganda either.

If you don't wanna wear one that's just fine, but please stop whining on about how helmet wearers are wrong, just to justify your own decisions.

Except that helmet wearers are constantly trying to make us wear helmets and in a number of places that has led to our own decisions being taken off us. There have been at least five attempts this century in the UK so far to make it mandatory in law and very few events these days allow you to ride without a helmet. Give me my free choice back and I'll stop banging on about how helmets don't work.