School paying children to wear helmet

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Graham

Re: School paying children to wear helmet

Post by Graham »

Walkodile . . . . . . the inventor received an MBE for "Services to Child Safety". . . . . .

We have a systemic & cultural problem.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

How do you mean?
Bez

Post by Bez »

Bonefishblues wrote:How do you mean?

The systemic and cultural problem? A refusal to acknowledge the sources of danger and implement danger reduction, and to instead give those not presenting that danger the impossible responsibility for "safety" through means which do little if anything other than reinforce this powerocracy.

Admittedly, more generally keeping track of a bunch of school-/nurserychildren is a different social issue ;)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:As soon as one organises anything in a public place these days, there becomes a responsible person who can pursued for negligence.
When in court, it is necessary to demonstrate that the risks were foreseen and addressed by avoidance or reasonable mitigation measures.
In addition, if you don't do that you don't get insurance cover.

That's both court case FUD and insurance FUD rolled into one.

Graham wrote:Whether the research papers call into question the use of Hivisisisis or not : that is where we are now.

I suspect that if someone puts hi-vis on people but doesn't take other more effective reasonable mitigation measures, then they're leaving themselves open to prosecution because the research suggests hi-vis is ineffective. I think it's incredibly likely that a H&H school cycle training programme would have been sued already if cycling wasn't basically a safe activity anyway.

Bez wrote:If you hate walking buses then try googling "walkodile"…

(Be sure to have a large brandy to hand to calm the nerves afterwards.)

It reminds me of slaves manacled into ships. I guess it's marginally better than the similar cross-traffic tripwires that some schools use (basically ropes with handles on) in that the kids don't have the option of giving way to people travelling at right-angles when it'll trip them up.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Slaves on ships eh :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Slaves on ships eh :lol:

Yeah, that may say more about my opinion of what most schools are doing (I went to a slightly unusual state primary school and many years later taught FE/HE) than anything else ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Slaves on ships eh :lol:

Yeah, that may say more about my opinion of what most schools are doing (I went to a slightly unusual state primary school and many years later taught FE/HE) than anything else ;-)

I hope you were thrashed daily. :P