Crash helmets

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
daveeaton

Crash helmets

Post by daveeaton »

How did the CEO of Cycling UK get to that position ? I have just heard him on The One Show making negative, ill thought out comments regarding the wearing of cycle crash helmets. You would have thought a person in his position would have had more sense.
Dave.
horizon

Re: Crash helmets

Post by horizon »

Welcome to the forum. Your thread may be moved.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That depends upon whether he wants to know how the CEO of Cycling UK got to that position, or he wants more ill-advised comments about helmets. :wink:

p.s. the welcome still applies.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote:That depends upon whether he wants to know how the CEO of Cycling UK got to that position, or he wants more ill-advised comments about helmets. :wink:

p.s. the welcome still applies.

:D

Actually it was quite clever - he neatly side-stepped the whole issue.

Assuming this thread does go the H-section ......

I was actually quite shocked at how the One Show managed to trot out all the hoary old chestnuts without so much as a blink. It does actually make me feel a lot less sanguine about it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
irc

Post by irc »

As I posted on the other thread

Someone should have asked the reporter why his helmet chinstrap was dangling loose if he thought they were so important.

loosestrap (Small).jpg

Thought the Cycling UK CEO was OK. "freedom of choice", more about better infrastructure, be alert, look where you're going, "look out for each other" c

(Assuming the version on the iplayer was the same as the live version.)
meic

Post by meic »

That depends upon whether he wants to know how the CEO of Cycling UK got to that position

He's a professional charity worker, skilled in the arts of playing any charity pipes to the paymasters' chosen tune? Is that it?
Yma o Hyd
irc

Post by irc »

daveeaton wrote:How did the CEO of Cycling UK get to that position ? I have just heard him on The One Show making negative, ill thought out comments regarding the wearing of cycle crash helmets. You would have thought a person in his position would have had more sense.
Dave.

Having watched the iplayer version of the One Show it looked OK to me. Which part of the CEO's comments do you disagree with?
robgul

Post by robgul »

irc wrote:As I posted on the other thread

Someone should have asked the reporter why his helmet chinstrap was dangling loose if he thought they were so important.

loosestrap (Small).jpg

Thought the Cycling UK CEO was OK. "freedom of choice", more about better infrastructure, be alert, look where you're going, "look out for each other" c

(Assuming the version on the iplayer was the same as the live version.)

I only caught the last 2 minutes or so of the One Show piece but it did seem to me that reporter's helmet not only had the chinstrap loose but that it didn't fit at all anyway (big helmet, small head?) Doubtless the BBC legal people specified wearing a helmet.

Rob

PS- I'm in the "wear a helmet" camp (but one that fits and stands a chance of working)
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mjr

Post by mjr »

robgul wrote:I only caught the last 2 minutes or so of the One Show piece but it did seem to me that reporter's helmet not only had the chinstrap loose but that it didn't fit at all anyway (big helmet, small head?) Doubtless the BBC legal people specified wearing a helmet.

I agree. It would be better not to wear a helmet than to demonstrate wearing it so badly.

As to how the CUK CEO got to his position, it's probably similar to http://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/vi ... le-helmets

My personal view is summarised http://mjr.towers.org.uk/proj/cyclynn/helmets and I welcome questions about it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

mjr wrote:My personal view is summarised http://mjr.towers.org.uk/proj/cyclynn/helmets and I welcome questions about it.

Shame there is not a like button on here a well written summary mjr
NUKe

Post by Philip Benstead »

I have seen the report IMHO PT gave the correct message in the time available. I think the reporter were crass. But this show is lightweight.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
horizon

Post by horizon »

Philip Benstead wrote:I have seen the report IMHO PT gave the correct message in the time available. I think the reporter were crass. But this show is lightweight.

I agree on Paul Tuhy's response. However I don't think the show is lightweight in the sense that it is prime time, influential and heavily watched. The presenter is also trusted. I say this on the basis that that is what they are supposed to be - they are meant to take a responsible, reasonable line on content.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The OP describes Paul Tuohy's opinions as ill thought out, but the root of the problem is that the vast majority of people who are expressing opinions in the debate show little interest in thinking. Outside of threads like you find on cycling forums there's very little informed opinion, the arguments aren't usually any more sophisticated than "It's obvious that helmets are safer".

Another problem is that the precedent has already been set with seatbelts and M/C helmets. Tis only a matter of time..........
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

NUKe wrote:
mjr wrote:My personal view is summarised http://mjr.towers.org.uk/proj/cyclynn/helmets and I welcome questions about it.

Shame there is not a like button on here a well written summary mjr

+1