Plastic hat with flashing LED indicator lights

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
squeaker

Plastic hat with flashing LED indicator lights

Post by squeaker »

Only in America would this be thought a good idea?
"42"
landsurfer

Re: Oh dear!

Post by landsurfer »

What a tarts handbag .........
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

And while I'm indicating one way, and look over my shoulder to check stuff, it's smart enough to notice and move the indication point?

There does seem to be a subset of designers who think everything can (and should) be made to be like a car as much as possible. <sigh>
No thanks.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pointless and rubbish - both in the extreme.
Mick F. Cornwall
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

There's a helmet that got a lot of kickstarter funding that includes a rear facing camera that sends the image to a screen or glasses wirelessly. :roll:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The utility cyclist wrote:There's a helmet that got a lot of kickstarter funding that includes a rear facing camera that sends the image to a screen or glasses wirelessly. :roll:

Not over-complicated at all then!

Many years ago I did try a demo "Reevu" helmet, which used a rather simpler periscope system to give a built in rear-view mirror. It worked, but didn't convince me I wanted one (and that would have been back when I always wore a helmet).

The company still seems to be going, but looking at their website it's motorcycles only these days.

Pete.
thirdcrank

Re: Plastic hat with flashing LED indicator lights

Post by thirdcrank »

Trying to put aside the helmet-wearing question and concentrating on the lights, I think it looks quite good.

The biggest fear I would have would be that it would be just one more thing to attract the attention of passing idiots in motor vehicles, just as flashing bike lamps were before they became more generally used. I've some reflective tape on the back of mine but I know that it won't be seen unless the following vehicle is a long way behind. I rather like the idea that in the unlikely event of a fall, the rider's head would still be highlighted.

I'm not so sure about indicators, mainly because even with a large bonce like mine, they would still be quite close together. OTOH, they should be clearly visible, which is not necessarily the case with a signalling arm on an unlit road.

Were I still a night-time commuter, it's something I'd consider. Another thing to silence the crowing of the victim-blamers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Fugly hat and it does look like the indicators will be misleading as soon as you look behind you.

thirdcrank wrote:Were I still a night-time commuter, it's something I'd consider. Another thing to silence the crowing of the victim-blamers.

They'll just find something else. How much junk would you burden yourself with before you stopped playing their game of whack-a-mole?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote:Fugly hat and it does look like the indicators will be misleading as soon as you look behind you.

thirdcrank wrote:Were I still a night-time commuter, it's something I'd consider. Another thing to silence the crowing of the victim-blamers.

They'll just find something else. How much junk would you burden yourself with before you stopped playing their game of whack-a-mole?

I began to reply to this and with some ham-fisted typing I managed to lose what I had put. When I think about it, it's not worth starting again. It's all stuff I've posted before, based on experience of how the system works, or doesn't, rather than on a philosophy of how it should work.
The utility cyclist

People often feel pushed to get X in an effort to protect/make themselves feel safer, what it actually does is make matters worse in the long run, so have this fitted and when you get mown down because you failed to indicate the blame is yours.

We already know that caving in to the victim blaming as the system has gone toward puts greater and greater onus on the vulnerable as being the accepted norm (see helmets & hi-vis) and less and less responsbility on those that harm and with respect to motorists a lower standard of driver that creeps ever more down the pan and on from that jury's (made up mostly of people that drive...poorly) that are ever more forgiving of incidents involving motorists that kill and maim. Isn't that why the government brought in 'death by careless'?

I for one am never going to contribute to that knowing that these 'safety' aids are anything but. :evil:
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.aldi.co.uk/one-size-unisex- ... 8014235900

I often wear a cap when cycling and purchased a few of Adli's caps, good for seeing close up items in the dark like locks and keys.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

For a cap to cycle in I prefer... a cycle cap. Brim snaps up for heads-down work and doesn't catch the wind so much when upright, but still keeps a lot of sun and rain out of eyes.

transmitted from my personal telephony apparatus
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

My initial thought was the lights are far too close together to be any indication.. from a distance, at speed.

On a car you have a 6 foot gap between left and right, with, well, a car in between, so its fairly obvious which way you are indicating.

Couple that with the head turning to look and.. well the whole thing is pointless, probably more confusing (dangerous) than anything.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

If you were going to put flashing amber indicator LEDs anywhere I would have thought glovers would be the obvious place.
The utility cyclist

Pete Owens wrote:If you were going to put flashing amber indicator LEDs anywhere I would have thought glovers would be the obvious place.
I have some of the 'Indicator' gloves, absolutely fantastic as a glove, bought several autum and winter pairs off a car boot ex stock. I don't use the LEDs which are operated by a thumb to finger press and the battery is contained in a small pouch in the cuff. The Pittards leather palms are incredibly durable.