Plastic hat with flashing LED indicator lights

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Plastic hat with flashing LED indicator lights

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So many creative ways to tell people hat they don't need to drive in the distance they can see to be clear (not just can't see to be obstructed).

I also have to recall the complicator's gloves...
http://thedailywtf.com/articles/The_Com ... 7_s_Gloves

Retro reflective patches on gloves/cuffs should be far more reliable, and at least as effective.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Oh dear! Indicators revived in The Guardian.
As bikes become increasingly advanced, there is one area that remains dangerously low-fi: signalling. The law still requires cyclists to indicate with their arms, but that’s not always effective, as Guy Lester, founder of Cyndicate, discovered in 2014. He was involved in a “very near miss” with a cyclist and car, who hadn’t seen the signal.

Lots of scientific research there. "Dangerously low-fi". He was involved in a “very near miss”.

it lights an arrow on the rider’s backpack

Not sure how drivers will process that. It's not something the Highway Code has prepared them for, and doesn't seem to comply with any known standards. If you use this device instead of putting an arm out, might it not be used as evidence against you in the event of an accident?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I assume that's advertorial ie the Grauniad has canvassed companies who might stump up to have their products promoted in its once-respected pages.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:I assume that's advertorial ie the Grauniad has canvassed companies who might stump up to have their products promoted in its once-respected pages.

Yes. The link is theguardian.com/business-to-business/...

Supported by

‘Supported by’ is used to describe editorially independent content. We accept funding from third parties both for new projects and for content we are already producing. Before funding is agreed with a client, relevant senior editors are consulted about its suitability and the editor-in-chief has the final say on whether a funding deal is accepted. A client whose branding appears on editorial content may have a role in suggesting what kind of topics are covered, but the commissioning editor is not obliged to accept ideas from the funder. The content is written and edited by Guardian and Observer journalists, or those approved by GNM, to the same standards expected in all of our journalism. GNM will not show copy to funders for approval

Hmmm. It is produced to the same high standards as the news items. Insert your own joke.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems to me that the most attractive thing from the POV of the advertiser, sponsor or whatever they want to call them is the publication of a link to their website in a place which they cannot otherwise access (ie otherwise than paying up.) An advertiser's own www isn't subject to editorial independence.

This isn't restricted to one newspaper, of course. They all have their metaphorical backs to the wall. It's just that some titles like to portray themselves as being above that type of thing.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:It seems to me that the most attractive thing from the POV of the advertiser, sponsor or whatever they want to call them is the publication of a link to their website in a place which they cannot otherwise access (ie otherwise than paying up.) An advertiser's own www isn't subject to editorial independence.

This isn't restricted to one newspaper, of course. They all have their metaphorical backs to the wall. It's just that some titles like to portray themselves as being above that type of thing.

It's a vicious circle. As the paper's news content declines, fewer of the old-style readers are prepared to pay for the hard copy, and the business model necessarily moves towards money-for-clicks. I don't know what the answer is, but as someone who used to buy the Guardian every day (even though its editorial decisions annoyed me), and now doesn't buy it at all, I am part of the problem that the paper has to solve.

I wonder if the deal with the sponsors forbids comments being opened on those pages. Shame!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I used to think that the Blaze thing http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/introducing-blaze-a-laser-that-projects-bike-image-onto-road-30459/ but rather projected onto the road behind the cyclist - sort of "extends" the bike further back hopefully keeping drivers further back. Or https://www.amazon.com/Huluwa-Bicycle-Cycling-Projector-Resistant/dp/B06ZYZ51SZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8.

Not used one (I don't really ride at night anyway) but not for alerting drivers to see you but rather to may yourself appear larger and taking more road space encouraging drivers to give you more clearance.

But I've no idea if they work.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pjclinch wrote:For a cap to cycle in I prefer... a cycle cap. Brim snaps up for heads-down work and doesn't catch the wind so much when upright, but still keeps a lot of sun and rain out of eyes.

transmitted from my personal telephony apparatus

Where might one buy a cap with the peak at the back? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Aldi's running caps with front lights are quite good (they need a red rear light to be better for cycling in)
https://www.aldi.co.uk/one-size-unisex- ... 8014235900
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Indicators are an interesting one.

There's no doubt in my mind that indicating on a bike is a waste of time, I do it but it's routinely ignored. Cars will try to overtake regardless, when turning right it's too easy to end up sat on the pavement opposite the junction because they wouldn't ease off and let you move across.

I get around it by indicating and moving over at the same time (keeping an eye on where the traffic is of course). By leaving my right arm outstretched I can quickly make it so they have to move into the opposite lane to overtake and that's the point at which the majority decide to let you move out.

But if a bicycle had motorcycle style indicators would drivers be more inclined to let them move out? I'm thinking that the response would be automatic since it would work and look just like a motorcycle.

I can't say I want to fit them, it's a slippery slope too far imo.
Bicycles shouldn't need stupid amounts of technology and protective gear, they're simple machines travelling at a fast jogging pace.
But I'd be interested in knowing.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

All the built-in LEDs in the world are as nowt when you put a rain cover over your lid. Unless it's a transparent shower cap*, of course.

* with or without little pink fairies on.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pjclinch wrote:For a cap to cycle in I prefer... a cycle cap. Brim snaps up for heads-down work and doesn't catch the wind so much when upright, but still keeps a lot of sun and rain out of eyes. ...

Something like this:
Tom Simpson.jpg
Tom Simpson.jpg (24.06 KiB) Viewed 967 times

I've still got a Peugeot BP one exactly like that hidden away somewhere in the loft from my posing days :oops: but AFAIK, the main reason was to display the sponsors' names and logos whenever the rider's face was pictured. Can also be worn back-to-front (see above.) An early contribution to the type of alternative advertising that has led to the print media's present difficulties? :lol: