Would you wear this paper helmet?

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
661-Pete

Cycling in a paper hat?

Postby 661-Pete » 17 Nov 2016, 8:09am

Well, not exactly, but close enough. As long as your name's Dyson, that is....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38004215
Does this put a new angle on the whole h*lm*t debate? Would it sway those, such as myself, who find the conventional lid too uncomfortable to wear?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

gaz

Re: Cycling in a paper hat?

Postby gaz » 17 Nov 2016, 8:37am

661-Pete wrote:Does this put a new angle on the whole h*lm*t debate? Would it sway those, such as myself, who find the conventional lid too uncomfortable to wear?
This does not put a new angle on the helmet debate. The debate is about risk and protection. This helmet does not change the external risk factors and the RoSPA comments in the linked article suggest it may not offer current levels of helmet protection.

Comfort? I understand the Emperor's New Helmet is under development which will be even lighter and more comfortable than not wearing a helmet at all :wink: .
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 17 Nov 2016, 11:12am

reminds me of my grandparents Christmas decorations which folded out
NUKe

Stevek76

Postby Stevek76 » 17 Nov 2016, 11:25am

It is so solid and everyone who had held it in their hands is surprised about how solid it is

... None of whom have apparently ever held one of those paper decorations?

Also I'm sure this seems very familiar....

*quick google*

Ah here: from 5 years ago:

https://goo.gl/images/sz8rCN

mercalia

Would you wear this paper helmet?

Postby mercalia » 17 Nov 2016, 12:42pm

I dont think so. what when it rains? ot just damp?

"A recyclable, folding cycling helmet made of paper has won this year's international James Dyson Award.

The EcoHelmet is designed for people who use bike-sharing schemes and might not always have a helmet with them."

looks more like some thing that belongs on a christmas tree? or wall decorations?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38004215

kwackers

Re: Would you wear this paper helmet?

Postby kwackers » 17 Nov 2016, 12:45pm

I guess it depends on how much protection it offers when run over by a truck.

Polystyrene hats protect your legs apparently so who knows what magic this one can perform.

(How many posts before this ends up in the bin? I'm guessing at 12)

meic

Postby meic » 17 Nov 2016, 12:49pm

(How many posts before this ends up in the bin? I'm guessing at 12)
So it will last longer than the helmet then. :lol:
Yma o Hyd

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 17 Nov 2016, 12:54pm

Designer Isis Shiffer wrote:admitted that it may be a "tough sell" convincing people that it works.

Still, given the "stick" Dyson products get these days working does not seem particularly important. Far more important is how easily it could be manufactured in the Far East.

(I admit it, I'm not a great far of Dyson, not his products).

Ian

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 17 Nov 2016, 1:18pm

4 posts!
Looks like I was wildly optimistic.

Time to change it into a Dyson thread, perhaps it'll get moved back?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Dyson, particularly his pro-brexit stance which was a bit rich coming from a guy who threatened to pull manufacturing out of the UK if we didn't adopt the Euro. We didn't and he did - all the way to Asia.
So pro Euro but anti-EU - what sort of idiocy is that?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 17 Nov 2016, 1:28pm

Psamathe wrote:
Designer Isis Shiffer wrote:admitted that it may be a "tough sell" convincing people that it works.

Still, given the "stick" Dyson products get these days working does not seem particularly important. Far more important is how easily it could be manufactured in the Far East.

(I admit it, I'm not a great fan of Dyson, not his products).

Ian

No, nor me, I just don't see it, tbh.

I have a particular hatred of his air blade hand dryer. It simply doesn't work as well as the alternatives which have been on the market for years.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 17 Nov 2016, 1:31pm

kwackers wrote:4 posts!
Looks like I was wildly optimistic.

Time to change it into a Dyson thread, perhaps it'll get moved back?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Dyson, particularly his pro-brexit stance which was a bit rich coming from a guy who threatened to pull manufacturing out of the UK if we didn't adopt the Euro. We didn't and he did - all the way to Asia.
So pro Euro but anti-EU - what sort of idiocy is that?

I understood he moved manufacturing overseas because Wiltshire would not let him build a factory exactly where he wanted. So rather than find somewhere else in the UK for his factory, somewhere where development plans, protection of environment, etc. were encouraging such needed development, he just made loads of people redundant and went to the Far East.

And given his overseas production, being part of the EEA does not really affect his wealth so instead of thinking of impacts on others he is anti-EU, except as you say, he is also pro UK joining the €.

Ian

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 17 Nov 2016, 1:33pm

I would certainly try it, for interest's sake.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 17 Nov 2016, 1:35pm

Psamathe wrote:And given his overseas production, being part of the EEA does not really affect his wealth so instead of thinking of impacts on others he is anti-EU, except as you say, he is also pro UK joining the €.

Ian

There's a decent market for Dyson products in the EU, so manybe it's just a matter of cost and convenience? I can imagine that even if the differing currencies neve caused any losses, just the epxense of manage paperwork in two currencies and the people to do the accounting ameks it worth joining the Europ.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 17 Nov 2016, 1:40pm

Vorpal wrote:
Psamathe wrote:And given his overseas production, being part of the EEA does not really affect his wealth so instead of thinking of impacts on others he is anti-EU, except as you say, he is also pro UK joining the €.

Ian

There's a decent market for Dyson products in the EU, so manybe it's just a matter of cost and convenience? I can imagine that even if the differing currencies neve caused any losses, just the epxense of manage paperwork in two currencies and the people to do the accounting ameks it worth joining the Europ.

So he is only thinking of his own interests and what suits him rather than the good of the e.g. UK. One thing many of these business people overlook is that if people are "doing badly" they wont be able to afford his overpriced rubbish.

e.g. Had he come out and said "UK should leave the EU because it is in my interest" would people have paid any regard to his argument? or "Uk should join the € for the good of my company", might not have been so convincing a case.

Ian

meic

Postby meic » 17 Nov 2016, 1:45pm

I aked at the local tip what did they see a lot of, he said "Dysons".
I have a particular hatred of his air blade hand dryer. It simply doesn't work as well as the alternatives which have been on the market for years.

There is a campsite which I visit every year and it has these airblades and they are great, though they do remind you that the skin on your hands isnt as young and elastic as it once was, they get your hands very dry, very quickly.
Yma o Hyd