Would you wear this paper helmet?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
kwackers

Re: Would you wear this paper helmet?

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:I aked at the local tip what did they see a lot of, he said "Dysons".

I suspect it's more of a fashion thing than anything else.

In his defence they're actually quite easy to repair and the parts are available fairly cheaply. I replaced the motor on my old one for a tenner from eBay. We'd had it for 15 years or so too.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

meic wrote:There is a campsite which I visit every year and it has these airblades and they are great, though they do remind you that the skin on your hands isnt as young and elastic as it once was, they get your hands very dry, very quickly.

They also fling water droplets everywhere, including up into your face. Not only yours but the little pool of water that sets in the bottom of them from whoever has previously used it, someone who may not have done a particularly good job of washing their hands. Given that I've always struggled to work out how the hygiene claim stacks up.

kwackers wrote:4 posts!
Looks like I was wildly optimistic.

To the bin being the helmet section? It was already here with just 2 posts when I started my first reply!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Stevek76 wrote:
meic wrote:There is a campsite which I visit every year and it has these airblades and they are great, though they do remind you that the skin on your hands isnt as young and elastic as it once was, they get your hands very dry, very quickly.

They also fling water droplets everywhere, including up into your face. Not only yours but the little pool of water that sets in the bottom of them from whoever has previously used it, someone who may not have done a particularly good job of washing their hands. Given that I've always struggled to work out how the hygiene claim stacks up.

To the bin being the helmet section? It was already here with just 2 posts when I started my first reply!

Indeed. Horrid.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Stevek76 wrote:

Indeed. Horrid.

But expensive and profitable (for somebody).

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Stevek76 wrote:

Indeed. Horrid.

But expensive and profitable (for somebody).

Ian

Well thank goodness for that - I thought that they had no merit whatsoever :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:I have a particular hatred of his air blade hand dryer. It simply doesn't work as well as the alternatives which have been on the market for years.

The air blades you stick your hands in are no good if you've got long fingers, unless you either like dipping your fingertips in the last person's water or manage to synchronise opening and closing your fist with moving up and down. The V ones are better except they splatter the floor, wall and your lower legs.

The alternatives are better, but not without problems, especially ones activated by heat sensors that can't see through the stream of hot air that they're emitting once it gets up to temperature!

Much like that helmet isn't as good as the alternative, which looks like it'd leave you with jumbo scalp paper cuts from hell if you ever crashed. Also, surviving a drop onto the flat with 10 pounds weight from three feet (4.5kg from 0.9m) is a long way short of the EN standard of 6.1kg and 1.5m, or the US standard of 5kg and 2m, and then there's the drop onto a kerb-edge which isn't mentioned at all.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Presumably one could wear multiple paper lanterns and increase their impact resistance? :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Bonefishblues wrote:I have a particular hatred of his air blade hand dryer. It simply doesn't work as well as the alternatives which have been on the market for years.
To be honest, the air blade is the one, and only one, Dyson product that I think does do its job well. Leastways, a lot better than some of those pusillanimous metal boxes masquerading as 'hand dryers', which won't even start up, that you so often come across.

So we're clearly at odds here. Yes the air blade is noisy, I grant you that. A good way of getting people out of the loos faster!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).