"You wear a hat, why not wear a helmet?"

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Just had this conversation with a colleague, and he's right. I always wear a flat cap for cycling, why wouldn't I wear a helmet instead on the off-chance it might be useful? I'm not adverse to the idea (I'm the one running studded tyres in case there's an ice patch), but I am adverse to the one cycle helmet I own. It's uncomfortable, at this time of year excessively well ventilated and the straps are always tangled. I've owned motorcycle, climbing and canoeing helmets and none were so badly behaved.

I ride a Dutch style upright bike, so I'm not leading with my head anyway and don't see much point in a helmet, but I am wondering if there is something I can wear which would offer greater impact protection than a flat cap, with the same weather protection and without any extra faff. I am thinking maybe an equestrian riding hat, those must be rated for falls from greater height and look fairly compact. They do have a distinctive look though.

Builder's "bump cap"? Intended for protection against knocks rather than falls these don't have straps, so they shouldn't add to rotational injuries. Would it stay on well enough to offer any protection though? (A "bump cap" with straps is very similar to the above).

Climbing helmet? Designed to protect against falling objects rather than falls, so not really up to the job. I've got one though and it is comfortable.

Better cycle helmet? There must be such things. I'd like a fairly unobtrusive look though, I see definite merit in appearing to be a human being to motorists. Most cycle helmets appear to be fashion items designed to make you look like you are racing.

Any suggestions? No helmet at all is fine, but we've been there...
mjr

Re: "You wear a hat, why not wear a helmet?"

Post by mjr »

Ruadh495 wrote:Just had this conversation with a colleague, and he's right. I always wear a flat cap for cycling, why wouldn't I wear a helmet instead on the off-chance it might be useful?

It's heavier and bigger when worn, more fragile when not worn, doesn't pack down as small, offers less padding when you hit something, usually draughty in winter and sweaty in summer and the wide straps on many of them produce a lot of wind noise unless you buy an add-on like cat-ears. More expensive and only lasts a few years, too. In short, your colleague is wrong.

Ruadh495 wrote:I ride a Dutch style upright bike, so I'm not leading with my head anyway and don't see much point in a helmet, but I am wondering if there is something I can wear which would offer greater impact protection than a flat cap, with the same weather protection and without any extra faff.

Riding more upright, any fall likely to impact the protected top zone of a cycle helmet seems like it would probably involve a height exceeding the design aim of a cycle helmet.

More impact protection than a flat cap with same weather protection and no extra faff? A fleecy beanie.

Ruadh495 wrote:I am thinking maybe an equestrian riding hat, those must be rated for falls from greater height and look fairly compact. They do have a distinctive look though.

They're also much hotter because they're designed for users who mostly aren't exerting themselves physically as much. Probably not awful today, but dangerous in summer.

Ruadh495 wrote:Any suggestions? No helmet at all is fine, but we've been there...

Ask the colleague why he doesn't wear a helmet while walking if he loves them so much. Similar risks to cycling.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't wear my helmet any more because it became very uncomfortable due to my alopecia. To be honest, I was looking for an excuse not to wear it for a while, and the comfort problem came at the right time. I have alopecia universals now, and again to be honest, I love it! :D Don't feel sorry for me, I don't have a single hair on my body anywhere! :D

However, my head gets hot in the summer and cold and very cold in the winter, so I have a variety of headwear to wear ............. definitely NOT a helmet.

I do have a scull cap for under the helmet that I used to wear in the winter, so I could possibly wear it and the helmet now, but I can't see why I should wear a helmet when it's cold, but not when it's warm. Dual standards?
I have experimented with it, but it feels hard and unforgiving. It needs the padding of a good head of hair IMHO.

Any road up, for me .......... headwear good, helmet not good.
Mick F. Cornwall
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

http://www.rohan.co.uk/christmas-gifts- ... e=04034525

I quite like the look of the Rohan Outpost cap which appears to fit most of your requirements. It has ear flaps and a fleecy lining and is waterproof.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm wearing a Sealskinz cap. Bought it last winter.
https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/hats/belgi ... ycling-cap
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Take a look at Bern Helmets if you want to wear one, they may fill many of your criteria
www.bernunlimited.com.

I tried to buy one but they don't do one big enough. :(
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

I fell off on Saturday on black ice,one second I was upright the next flat out,I'm currently nursing a sore hip(my arthritic one nach)a bruise the full length of my fore arm and a sprained wrist(which I suspect is whiplash as I didn't have time to put my hand out and there's no impact site).
My head didn't touch the floor :D ,just about everything else did though :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

reohn2 wrote:I fell off on Saturday on black ice,one second I was upright the next flat out,I'm currently nursing a sore hip(my arthritic one nach)a bruise the full length of my fore arm and a sprained wrist(which I suspect is whiplash as I didn't have time to put my hand out and there's no impact site).
My head didn't touch the floor :D ,just about everything else did though :?

You are made of tough stuff. Mend quick. I had an almost identical crash and my head did the same thing. I think we don't give our bodies and Mother Nature the due respect it deserves. We are designed to take a reasonable amount of abuse before we break.

How is the bike more to the point? [emoji6]
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 29 Nov 2016, 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

R2.
Keep well and look after yourself.
Yes, how's the bike? :wink:

I remember cycling to work one frosty winter's morn, and going up a slight hill about three miles into the journey, I was off. Flat down on my left.
Hurt arm, hurt foot, bent crank.
I carried on to work for the rest of the way in, another 14miles with a wobbly LH crank.

Over lunchtime, I took the crank out, and gave it some wellie with a mallet with it in the vice in the workshop.
Good as new.
Mick F. Cornwall
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Anecdata? Have I just made that word up?

Any road up! I overtook a full on black all over 'roadie' on the climb up to Pen Y Pass yesterday :mrgreen:

Which demonstrates, even with a 90's steel touring bike, full metal mudguards and a huge sagging 1950s Karrimor duck saddlebag - my waxed cotton second hand Rapha cap is faster and as safe as his plastic and polystyrene dome :?:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks for the well wishes folks :) ,I went down on my right side(drive side :? )not a scratch on the bike :D
The first thing I saw was a big yellow grit bin,after I'd checked myself and the bike over I hobbled over to a house across the road explained the situation,and asked to borrow a spade to spread some grit out of the bin,the chap who answered the door said " yes no problem,no one ever does anything 'round here" :?
Anyway I did a bit of gritting,gave him his spade back and stopped three cyclists from doing the same as me :) .
W H Auden
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Because wearing a cap is a nice experience and wearing a helmet is not. Because a helmet is not necessary, especially on a Dutch style bike..
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:Anecdata? Have I just made that word up?

Any road up! I overtook a full on black all over 'roadie' on the climb up to Pen Y Pass yesterday :mrgreen:

Which demonstrates, even with a 90's steel touring bike, full metal mudguards and a huge sagging 1950s Karrimor duck saddlebag - my waxed cotton second hand Rapha cap is faster and as safe as his plastic and polystyrene dome :?:

Very fast them Rapha caps :D
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:
deliquium wrote:Anecdata? Have I just made that word up?

Very fast them Rapha caps :D

But I'm pro choice - my actions/headwear choice - should never lead law makers into compulsory Rapha caps :wink:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, the pro/anti debate is in full swing already on this thread - so perhaps not best to get too involved.

Exactly the same question was put to me once. But not by a colleague. By the policeman who came to the scene when I was knocked off by a motorist - not badly hurt - the very incident which prompted me to re-join this forum, just over four years ago. He looked at me, blood dripping from my nose, wearing my bush-hat as I often do when cycling, and remarked "you'd be better off in a helmet". My obvious retort ought to have been "how would that have have protected my nose?" but as I recall it, I kept my mouth shut (anyway I was befuddled by a long and pointless phone conversation with the ambulance service which I'd just had).

To do this officer credit, he was clearly very pro-cyclist (unlike some :evil: ) and did a lot of good work getting this erring motorist his just desserts. So I'm not complaining.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).